KCsTJ’s 1997 Jeep Wrangler SE

Yes, I was just looking at those from Mammoth. They look just like the wheels from Quadratec with the difference being the Mammoth 'M' at the wheel center.
Trying to confirm backspace, mammoth gives a 19mm offset so I need to convert that measurement to BS.
@glwood do you like the AEV clone wheels? What's your opinion if you dont mind

I really like what you've done so far with your Jeep. Those hood louvers look great! For what it's worth, I have a set of the Mammoth wheels and I really like them. I just prefer the design over the Quadratec ones. Its subtle but enough to still be noticeable.

Reactions: KCsTJ
Gotta get it running good for the engin
I really like what you've done so far with your Jeep. Those hood louvers look great! For what it's worth, I have a set of the Mammoth wheels and I really like them. I just prefer the design over the Quadratec ones. Its subtle but enough to still be noticeable.
Thank you Don, and gotcha on those Mammoth wheels @Don Ashcraft that's a good point, that subtle difference. I'm just waiting now to get it running right, sell then swap a 4.0 or small block Chevy. I'll take a closer look at those Mammoth 👍

Reactions: Don Ashcraft
Wheels on hold, been wrestling with misfires off and on, last week also got a too rich condition. Runs terrible when cold so I think the timing chain is probably stretched, that gets installed next warm day...View attachment 124797
Stretched timing chain? Bummer. I found that on the engine of my motorhome... Check this out!

IMG_20191026_144158963.jpg

Never done it on the 4.0l but it was a TON of work on my Olds V8.

Reactions: KCsTJ
I checked the timing chain and found 8 degrees of slack. 2.5L was running terrible and throwing misfire codes and a too rich condition code.
I was not able to find timing chain slack specs but at 175k it can't hurt to replace all that.
Installed new Melling timing chain, cam and crank sprockets, and snubber. $55 or so.
20191118_163433.jpg

Coincidentally, the day before I did all this, I heard a metallic noise from the front of the engine...
20191118_215349.jpg

You can see how the chain dug out the metal holding the rubber snubber. This is the old and new rubber snubber. I caught it before it really got bad..
20191118_162245.jpg

Easy to see how the timing chain dug into the snubber metal ears and thats at 8 degrees slack. This wis where the metallic noise was from.
Engine was running terrible still, after install. A guy in my jeep club suggested plugs. I still had POs spark plugs so I pulled one out, a Bosch iridium. Replaced plugs with OEM champions as posted under the hood and that did it. RUNS LIKE NEW!!
If you have Bosch iridiums in your 2.5L yank them out asap, thay are junk. My 2.5L runs like new and all codes are gone.

Well well I found another. 2006 hard to find, rare L33 all aluminum Chevy high output 5.3L. truck engine.
330 HP, 350 lb torque.
Drove to Waco, Tx this morning and picked it upView attachment 130392. Complete engine with 131k miles, $1000 and that's if u can find one...
Where is that going?

Where is this engine going???
U and JMT thinkin alike! Well good question and the answer is i dont know.... just hope i dont find another L33 cuz i dont have another $1000 handy 🤣😩
Right now I will just take the motor apart, rebuild it, and have it sitting on an engine stand ready for a swap... it's on standby for now 🤣
Tim how is your Sahara beast running?

Last edited:
Reactions: b0xcar and JMT
U and JMT thinkin alike! Well good question and the answer is i dont know.... just hope i dont find another L33 cuz i dont have another $1000 handy 🤣😩
Right now I will just take the motor apart, rebuild it, and have it sitting on an engine stand ready for a swap... it's on standby for now 🤣
Tim how is your Sahara beast running?
Running good! Finally changed the RMS, oil pan gasket and Oil sending unit. @Bob in Texas helped out with the job. There is a small trickle of oil that I am hoping is residual. Still keeping an eye on it, definitely not leaking like it was!

Reactions: JMT and KCsTJ
I removed the exhaust manifolds from my future TJ engine, 2 rusty bolts broke off at the cyl head.
One was already broken off the other side, making a total of 3 exhaust mani bolts twisted off at the cylinder head. Oh yay.
20191222_154757.jpg

The hole on the far left has a twisted off bolt flush with the cyl head. This is what I'm gonna call the not fun part of the swap.😩😩😩

My plan is to get several Milwaukee black oxide drill bits and drill out the center of the broken bolts. I've been soaking them with Kroil since I got it 2 days ago, btw.
Then I will apply some heat, carefully, without melting the aluminum, hopefully. 😩
Drilling thru the center will allow more movement when the bolt heats up hopefully breaking the iron and aluminum dissimilar metalic bond along with the rust of course.
As long as I don't drill thru the bolt and into the aluminum head, I'll be fine. A Chevy mechanic told me there is very little room for error and use extreme caution and lots of patience. Stay tuned. 😩

Last edited:
Reactions: JMT
Waiting on drill bits to arrive so I brought the wiring harness inside to work on. Very intimidating at first but actually easy at this point with the correct pinout guide. I am removing wires that will not be needed.
20200112_105614.jpg

Reactions: JMT