KCsTJ’s 2005 Jeep Wrangler Sport

I just ordered a navy blue Alien Shade for my Patriot blue Sport.
I hope I didn't make a mistake by passing up the standard black color. :/
Somebody needs to make it harder to order Jeep stuff late at nite.
:)
If it’s not the right color, send it back and get black. You’ll love that sunshade. Indispensable in the TX heat!

Reactions: b0xcar and KCsTJ
Rotated the tires and lubricated all grease fittings on my new to me Sport.
Looks like new front pads are in order asap wow looks like 1/8 inch left or so.
Looks like I'll be taking a wire brush to the steering knuckle as well...
20180911_175632.jpg

Reactions: JMT
How much are you going to have done before the Oct. trip?
I will have all the POs neglected maintenance done for sure, there was a lot I had to bring up to speed, brakes, correct o2 sensors, and there's a little rust, nothing I can't handle.

and there has been a recent development .

Looks like @JMT may upgrade his lift and I would get his current lift. Basically a lift transfer, still working out details when, etc.

If i don't have my lift installed by then oh well,..... or we could postpone the wheeling adventure or make it coincide with the.lift swap, all options on the table as they say.
...we will know more as we sort out the lift parts and all those hairy details. :)

I will have all the POs neglected maintenance done for sure, there was a lot I had to bring up to speed, brakes, correct o2 sensors, and there's a little rust, nothing I can't handle.

Looks like @JMT may upgrade his lift and I would get his current lift. Basically a lift transfer, still working out details when, etc.

If i don't have my lift installed by then oh well,..... or we could postpone the wheeling adventure or make it coincide with the.lift swap, all options on the table as they say.
...we will know more as we sort out the lift parts and all those hairy details. :)
I've been missing out on the chatter. What lift is he replacing his with?

Ok, let’s think this through. What if I took off Thursday Oct 11 to remove my lift, clean it up, make it perfect? Then you come down either Thursday or Friday and we move my OME to yours and the Savvy to mine. We may need some TCase drops, both of us, but I can have some washers on hand. We would need 6 longer bolts for yours (or mine), grade 5 is fine. 1/2” would do, temporary stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: KCsTJ and tomtaylz
Ok, let’s think this through. What if I took off Thursday Oct 11 to remove my lift, clean it up, make it perfect. Then you come down either Thursday or Friday and we move my OME to yours and the Savvy to mine. We may need some TCase drops, both of us, but I can have some washers on hand. We would need 6 longer bolts for yours (or mine), grade 5 is fine. 1/2” would do, temporary stuff.
@JMT That works for me. I could drive down as early as Thursday after work, eta would be roughly 6 pm.
Glad you thought about longer bolts, I forgot that bolt length difference between the tj years.
I'll have a set of washers as well.
I'm also bringing a 20 ton bottle jack.

Last edited:
@JMT That works for me. I could drive down as early as Thursday after work, eta would be roughly 6 pm.
Glad you thought about longer bolts, I forgot that bolt length difference between the tj years.
Just longer TCase skid bolts. I can’t remember the size, but you can remove one and take it into Ace or wherever you get your bolts. You’re perfectly safe driving without one. I went without one for 6 months last year. On the 05 I’m certain it’s metric

Yeah, you have two TJ’s. You have to be very smart to keep up, especially between 97 and 05

Reactions: KCsTJ
I may be able to finish work that week on Wednesday which means my eta Thurs would be around 1 pm ish.
I think I can make that work.

I may be able to finish work that week on Wednesday which means my eta Thurs would be around 1 pm ish.
I think I can make that work.
Sounds good. This will be a lot of work! I sent you a list privately that I have thought through. Let me know if you’re comfortable with it.

Installed my new Evan Fisher $275 precats and main cat exhaust today.
20181019_095358.jpg

The new cat assembly came in 2 pieces. This is going to cure my P0431 nagging engine code the PO left me with :-/

It was straight bolt on, fitment was good.
The Evan Fisher pipe flange is thicker than oem which is good. But made it a bit harder to install due to smaller working area around the 4 flange bolts.

Also, the 4 flange bolt holes are larger than oem which meant the oem bolt head was too small.
Two options, either use oem with washers or get new bolts.
I chose to get 4 new shoulder bolts from Ace hardware @ $4.00 each which worked just fine.

Reactions: JMT and b0xcar
This is my project for tomorrow: :)
View attachment 59538
I finally get to install a real upgrade instead of fixing POs neglected maintenance...
A nice big o beefy tie rod. Yay! No more bent tie rods for me :)
I've seen some of those rocks you guys wheel on down there...I wouldn't count on not bending that ZJ rod!

My one week old jeep decides to throw engine codes P-0138 and P-0431.
Codes are for an o2 sensor on bank 1 and catalyst efficiency on bank 2.
Today i decided to replace both upstream NTK O2 sensors, betting that the PO used the wrong o2 sensors.
Cleared codes installed the correct NTK sensors and will find out tomorrow if they come back.
I didn't see an update...did the sensor swap keep the codes from returning?

Never mind...I see you replaced the pre-cats, and main cat converter. I guess a sensor swap alone wasn't the fix.