Keeping dogs in the Jeep when the top is off

Philip

What are folks doing to contain their dogs? I don't really like the cargo net around the roll bar look. I'm also not crazy about using web or wire to tie them in. Anybody figure out something they like?

TIA

P.

Spiderweb shades work quite well to contain my two pups.
2.jpg

Reactions: VallenMaes and JP13
I made a short cable that latches onto my roll bar. I used a big hose clamp and a chain link with the threaded coupler. Wrapped a strip of leather around the bar before clamping it all down.

I almost lost my dog last summer so I had to come up with something. He was in the Jeep with the soft top on and the windows cracked (it was by the beach and not too hot.) Somehow he either pressed down on the window enough to roll it down or stepped on the crank and got it down enough to escape. I thought for sure he was gone.

1577395546123.png

My jeep dog wears a harness connected to a tether fastened to the seatbelt receiver. He can just get to the sides to look down and he can get his front paws on the center console so I can skritch him.

Reactions: Five and Blondie70
i have a SmittyBuilt cargo net for mine, they love to stick their heads out at red lights.

i have a SmittyBuilt cargo net for mine, they love to stick their heads out at red lights.

If a dog can get his head through something, he can usually get the rest of his body out of there too. We used to raise Min Pins which are the Houdinis of the canine world.

I use a good dog harness that looks like a jacket on her. Someone here turned me on to a strap that connects the harness to the seatbelt latch. It is adjustable and I keep it just long enough for her to stick her nose out the window. That gives her enough length to get behind the front seat or in the seat, but no way to go any farther. She loves her head out the window and would climb out and ride on the hood if she could. The harness keeps her safe with just enough room to move a wee bit.

If a dog can get his head through something, he can usually get the rest of his body out of there too. We used to raise Min Pins which are the Houdinis of the canine world.

no, they can't get through it. and they are both harnessed to the top roll bar, so they can't go any further than a head out.

I trained my dogs to stay.... really only works for two of the three for now (one is a puppy in training), so I went with net and bikini top. If we're doing more than driving around town, I put two crates in the back and one dog rides shotgun with a harness and seatbelt restraint... safety first.

Harness clipped to seatbelt. Not a lot of room in a TJ and the damage he would suffer by making contact with a hard surface really disturbs me. Safety is never convenient.

Harness clipped to seatbelt. Not a lot of room in a TJ and the damage he would suffer by making contact with a hard surface really disturbs me. Safety is never convenient.

Since I adjust the length, it isn't a concern for me.