Keeping the dome light off with no doors

All 4 Wheelin'

Jeep dogs are people too
Lifetime Supporting Member
So I read alot about these tjs since I own one now and I keep coming across the subject of what to do about the dome light when you take your doors off. I've seen some spring clips you mount on the button. And then there's an inline switch you install at the fuse box. I have an 02 Sahara and haven't had the doors off yet but I did notice that if I leave the doors open for a bit the dome light times out and turns off. Any idea what yr Jeep started doing this?

Not sure what year that started, but just pull fuse 4 in the glove box. I don't even have to put it back in in my 2005 because I can control the interior lights from another factory switch on the left turn signal. I'm amazed people buy those clips or switches and actually make money off people. Pull the fuse.

Not sure what year that started, but just pull fuse 4 in the glove box. I don't even have to put it back in in my 2005 because I can control the interior lights from another factory switch on the left turn signal. I'm amazed people buy those clips or switches and actually make money off people. Pull the fuse.
I actually have a mechanic friend who put a switch in his 2006. That was before I knew anything about Jeeps. It simply amazes me now.

• Haha
Reactions: JMT
I think the ONLY reason to do a switch, or something like that, would be that if you do pull the fuse and you have your parking lights or headlights on, you don't get that "ding ding ding" when you open your door and forget your lights are on.

Reactions: StG58 and JMT
I think the ONLY reason to do a switch, or something like that, would be that if you do pull the fuse and you have your parking lights or headlights on, you don't get that "ding ding ding" when you open your door and forget your lights are on.

And it takes .75598 microseconds less to turn off the dome light, with a switch, no removing the glovebox to access the fuse.

Full disclosure: I have a switch.

And it takes .75598 microseconds less to turn off the dome light, with a switch, no removing the glovebox to access the fuse.

Full disclosure: I have a switch.
I completely agree. I also needed a needle nose pliers to pull the fuse. A lot easier to just flip the switch. I assume the folks that are resistant to the switch use them in their house to turn off those lights but maybe they pull the fuse. To each their own I guess...

• Haha
Reactions: gregc291 and Cole
How's the install on that. I'm not terribly electrically inclined

I used an add-a-fuse to loop the circuit from the fuse box through the aftermarket switch and back through the fuse. Comes in real handy when working on the thing and you need the door(s) open for a couple hours.

Reactions: Cole
20190521_203038.jpg

I pulled the fuse and left it out.

Dome light comes on when turning it off for a few seconds. When I need it on I turn the stalk.
Exactly. The only function loss is ding, ding, ding and who cares. I don’t want to hear that anyway.

Exactly. The only function loss is ding, ding, ding and who cares. I don’t want to hear that anyway.
I will have to admit I have left the lights on a time or two but I carry a jump box. If that is dead I can always push start the Jeep with manual transmission.

Reactions: JMT
I will have to admit I have left the lights on a time or two but I carry a jump box. If that is dead I can always push start the Jeep with manual transmission.
Yeah, I carry one of those Genius Jump boxes too. I run an AGM battery. My wife left the lights on the other day for about 45 minutes. It started right up no problem. I usually can tell the lights are on because my dash lights are blue, but she sometimes forgets bc her Yukon does everything for her. But if something breaks on it, well, you’re pretty much screwed