Keeping the same shocks when lifting?

Maxbrownr8

This is probably a stupid question, but I am learning everyday with my jeep... I installed a set of Bilstein 5100s to replace my stock height ride a few months ago and I have no complaints so far. I have some spare quarantine time these days and I would really like to lift the jeep. The shocks I have are rated for 0-2" of lift but is it a bad idea to lift shocks that have already been run at stock height for some time? I really enjoy these shocks and it would be nice to get some more life out of them, but I have some 33in mud terrains on Rubi-hara wheels that are begging to jump out of the garage and onto the jeep...

Having been run at one height and then changing that height won't hurt a thing.

Just make sure your up and down travel is still ok or your ride will become less pleasant. You can measure how much shaft is exposed, add how much you're lifting and compare to the total shock travel. You don't want to be near the end.

Nope, you'll be fine as long as you don't go over 2" of lift and set your bump stops accordingly.

Reactions: Maxbrownr8
Good idea. Make sure you have changed out all your fluids. Power steer and brakes included. Then put some miles and time into just driving around to be sure all systems are good and working right. And find out how often and how extreme you would like to go offroad. Once all that is done then you can formulate a plan on how to get the Jeep to do all you want it to.

One thing you will run into with those tires and those shocks is a decent amount of unusable up travel.