Kentucky Kentucky Adventure Trail

rasband

Dickhead 🍆
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
In June 2019 I will be running the KAT, and am curious as a guy from the west (dry, arid, rocky) what to expect, and more importantly what to prepare for the trip.

I run a mostly stock 2006 LJR.

Currently my plans are to extend my diff/tranny/tc breathers for water crossings. Beyond that I’m hoping for budget to allow for a tummy tuck/BL/MML (more planned, but unlikely before the trek).

I’ll be driving Colorado to Indiana for our meetup, then the 4x4s will caravan to and on the trail and back for a few day overlanding trip.

Any tips, ideas, or prep would be welcomed! Below is a picture of two of our rigs (a RAM 1500 may be joining as well).

5f6df9967e72bb33fa5db60e6b220415.jpg

Reactions: BugoutJeep
Check out the Kentucky Adventure Tour (KAT) Facebook group if you haven't already, lots of detailed maps and full of people that have run it.

Reactions: rasband
I'm curious if you're running the trail yet, finished or are getting ready to run it. I was only semi-aware of this trail until more recently. I don't do much with Facebook so I'll have to have my wife check it out for me.

Since it's relatively local, I'm planning to try and hit up some easy parts over some weekends and then plan something a bit longer after that.

I'm curious if you're running the trail yet, finished or are getting ready to run it. I was only semi-aware of this trail until more recently. I don't do much with Facebook so I'll have to have my wife check it out for me.

Since it's relatively local, I'm planning to try and hit up some easy parts over some weekends and then plan something a bit longer after that.

We unfortunately had to scrap the trip, most of the crew going ended up having life get in the way. I’d love to hear what you think when you get there!

Reactions: BugoutJeep
Well, like many, life keeps postponing most of my trips as well. I've seen some videos on YouTube and I'm hoping that's just the hard parts, which I plan to avoid until I get some armor, lockers, super kits and lower range tcase. Oh and skills.

I think I've hiked parts of the trail (besides climbing I would hike parts of the Sheltowee Trace), but I just don't know unless I get maps of both to compare. It's been almost a decade now since I really frequented that area and that was basically all on foot. I noticed I was walking on a bunch of roads, but for a week on intermittent trails I never saw any vehicles except for a government or utility type truck around a creek and he stopped before the creek.

I downloaded some GPX files of the area. I'm thinking maybe I'll check out a few parts sometime this summer. I'm thinking some sort of loop around the Red River Gorge and popping off the trail a bit South of Richmond might be enough for a weekend. My wife requested to join a couple of Facebook groups for me, so maybe I can get more recommendations. I'd like to run or bike the hard parts to check them out, but I prefer to take it easy with the Jeep until I'm more comfortable and have a few stronger components.

Reactions: rasband