Kewl History from Cle Elum, WA

Wildman

Over Analyzer Extraordinaire...............
Staff Member
Supporting Member
1936 Recreational Map of the Cle Elum area.

_nc_ohc=qWMq4eSj0wAAX8l7HYL&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.jpg

I wonder if anyone in my family has anything like that floating around. My grandparents built a place on wild duck lake (I think that’s the name of it) back in the early 70’s and I think had some other property between there and the summit of Snoqualmie earlier than that.

I may also have some old paper maps at either my dads or uncles place of jeep trails (probably with some hand drawing bootleg trails) from the 70’s and 80’s. I know they both used to keep them in the jeeps just don’t know if they still have them

Reactions: Wildman
I wonder if anyone in my family has anything like that floating around. My grandparents built a place on wild duck lake (I think that’s the name of it) back in the early 70’s and I think had some other property between there and the summit of Snoqualmie earlier than that.

I've still got motorized recreation maps from the 90's but nothing this old.

Haha I was editing when you replied, I may be able to dig up some old trail maps as well

I started wheeling in the Naches area around 1997 so that is as far back as I go. I used to backpack WA/OR /ID as a teenager prior to joining the Army in 1978. So I've got some old maps from then but they aren't motorized.

Interesting how they spelled Blewitt Pass with an “i” versus an “e”.

Can you drive old Blewett Pass?

View attachment 388279

In summer, visitors can drive to the pass on the Old Blewett Pass Highway, where you can see the site of an old restaurant and a 1930s rope-tow ski lift. Some other artifacts may remain, but as always, please leave these for others to enjoy.

https://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/old-blewett-pass-highway

When I was teaching my son how to drive in his first car (YJ), after breaking him in on flat land by going round and round the perimeter of the state airstrip, took him down to Old Blewett Pass so he could get comfortable with having to shift/start/stop on grades without any pressure. There was enough minor obstacles (rockfalls/potholes) and light traffic to make it challenging but not scary to a new Jeep driver. There’s a couple decent camp spots next to Peshastin Creek we use every so often.

F37CF66B-1FBA-4FDE-8499-E594E2EC25DA.jpeg

5654E742-8713-4D91-929D-7C7289A99059.jpeg