Key will come out with my Jeep in any gear

Tomdakota

Maybe a dumb question, but something I've never noticed in the 4 years I've had my Jeep. With the transmission in park and ignition off I can't move the shifter (automatic), which is normal. However after driving I realized I can leave the shifter in drive but still remove the key. Noticed it when I parked on an incline and shut off the Jeep, removed the key, and when I took my foot off the brakes I started rolling. I'm really not sure if it's always been this way or not, but I did change the ignition switch about 6 months ago when the pin broke. My guess is maybe I did something then that caused this? Any thoughts?

Super easy fix... I had the same 'problem'. Takes less than an hour to recode & replace the lock cylinder

Dorman 924-784 Mechanical Relearn ignition Lock Cylinder

Thanks,
Super easy fix... I had the same 'problem'. Takes less than an hour to recode & replace the lock cylinder

Dorman 924-784 Mechanical Relearn ignition Lock Cylinder

Thank you. I figured I did something when I changed the part with the actuator pin. The part you suggested should be here tomorrow. I'll post an update after I changed it. 👍

Reactions: MikekiM
Mine can be taken out at any time, hasnt been a problem and is actually handy if the glovebox is locked and the wife needs into it while your driving.

I was thinking about how the key for my CJ can be removed regardless of the position it is in and I have no problems with that.

What I think is happening in this case is that the key can be returned to the "off" position (and removed) regardless of the shifter position.

Reactions: TripMcneely
A very worn key will do that. I've had them fall out of the ignition lock just hitting a bump on some of my older cars.

Some view this as an issue, some an upgrade. I think @jjvw Did the replace the wafers repair but others live with it.

Some view this as an issue, some an upgrade. I think @jjvw Did the replace the wafers repair but others live with it.

I rebuilt the key cylinder about 7-8 years ago. Then I got new keys last year.

The key falling out became annoying. It would happen on trails.

Reactions: P man
No luck. Changed the key cylinder and tried another actuator. The locking mechanism is definitely controlled by the actuator, but I'm not sure if it's something I did or if there's an issue at the other end of the cable. Just to clarify after reading some of the other comments, my key will only come out with the ignition off. My issue is the shift interlock for the transmission, it doesn't care where the ignition is it will let me shift (automatic). The cable at the actuator moves like I believe it should, but even with the ignition off

Well I guess I read the problem correctly unfortunately I haven't had this particular issue and can't guide you to fixing it.

I would be more worried about starting the engine while in gear than removing the key. My dad wasn't happy 40 years ago when I tried starting my old Chevy truck in gear while he was standing in front of it. Luckily we were working on it because it would only crank but wouldn't fire up or else I'd have probably crushed both his legs by pushing him into the wall.

Reactions: Tomdakota
Ok, figured it out. I've watched YouTube videos until my eyes crossed. Happen to watch one that showed the interlock, most don't. I'm missing what appears to be a small pin. This is what locks the key from coming out with it in gear. None of the videos mention it so I'm guessing when I changed the broken actuator months ago I lost that piece without realizing it was even there. Now just have to try to fabricate one and hope it works.

20231016_175659.jpg

20231016_174516.jpg