Keys work in ignition but not doors

Wajeep

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Hey everyone. So my keys turn on the ignition and start the Jeep, etc but they don’t open the locked door of the Jeep. What’s the best way to remedy this in your opinions. Is it possible to rekey door locks? Thanks everyone.
Matt

Last time I did this, the locksmith said it was easier to keep the locks alone (assuming that all the locks, plus the tailgate match) and make a key for it, then match the ignition switch to the doors. This is because the key kits (you need a new bezel) were around $20/kit. You would need 2 (or 3 if you had to match the tailgate) kits. Repinning the ignition switch was ~$15.

Reactions: Wajeep
Last time I did this, the locksmith said it was easier to keep the locks alone (assuming that all the locks, plus the tailgate match) and make a key for it, then match the ignition switch to the doors. This is because the key kits (you need a new bezel) were around $20/kit. You would need 2 (or 3 if you had to match the tailgate) kits. Repinning the ignition switch was ~$15.

Usually people just get different doors. The tailgate should match the ignition.

I thought about re-keying only the driver side door. Haven't bothered because they can get in with a box cutter (soft top).

Usually people just get different doors. The tailgate should match the ignition.

I thought about re-keying only the driver side door. Haven't bothered because they can get in with a box cutter (soft top).
Certainly possible, though with the age of these rigs I make no assumptions. I've seen more than a handful have different keys all around. Many people erroneously install a new lock-cylinder in the column thinking it was the issue (vs the actuator and/or switch) and I've seen more than one with a totally different column (mine for example!). I've also seen more than a few with busted columns due to botched theft attempts...

The Jeep in his profile pic looks darn clean and the doors match the body remarkably well, so my guess would be that the ignition cylinder was replaced.

hell i never have locked my doors. they'll just cut out the window, leave it unlocked and save yourself the trouble. just dont leave valuables in it
I always say...locks keep honest people honest. It seems to me most people just open doors and steal stuff. I’m just trying to avoid those types of situations. Obviously, if someone wants in, they will get in.

Reactions: tr21triton
That makes sense. Thanks for the suggestion!

I always say...locks keep honest people honest. It seems to me most people just open doors and steal stuff. I’m just trying to avoid those types of situations. Obviously, if someone wants in, they will get in.

Not sure if it's more of a crime to break in, but I also agree that locks keep thieves honest for the most part.

A few years ago, someone removed the screen door to our back yard. It was locked from the outside to keep the kids from getting out. So they probably tried to open it and just ended up removing it, set it aside. The glass patio door was locked. They could've smashed it, but seemed to give up just because it was locked. Shortly after that, found out someone broke into a house on our block through an unlocked kitchen window.

So we keep everything locked at night and have an alarm now.

Reactions: pc1p and Wajeep