Khaki TJ Build - 2005 Sport

Looks like I will be studying the cooling system overhaul FAQ for my next project. This was on my list of things to address, but I guess it just decided the time is now.

For the derale transmission cooler, hopefully it's just a lose hose connector and not something more significant wrong with the cooler itself. I've heard great things about it here on this forum, but the reviews on Amazon are a little more mixed.

I ordered all the parts recommended in the cooling system overhaul FAQ, and everything arrived today, except the radiator which should be here by Tuesday. I'm going to go ahead and take everything apart over the weekend and do what I can until the radiator arrives. I have some work travel coming up later next week, into the following week, so hopefully I can get it buttoned up before I leave.

For the derale cooler, I now believe the leak is a relatively minor issue, either an adapter that needs tightened a little, or it was installed with the o-ring on the wrong side, should be easy to fix. However, I also figured out that the whole setup has the coolant flowing in the wrong direction, with the cooler first, then the radiator, then back to the transmission. Some people have run it this way for a long time, but it is supposedly more effective to run it the way the manufacturer recommends, with the radiator first, then the cooler.

Good news on the cooler is that today I confirmed that the fan does blow in the correct direction (pulling).

I’ve now installed the new radiator, cap, water pump, thermostat, fan clutch, idler pulley, serpentine belt, and radiator hoses. For the Derale cooler, I pulled it off and reconnected/tightened/sealed the fittings. Oh, I also replaced the rear windshield washer fluid pump.

Now I’m about to refill the coolant and transmission fluid, and check for leaks. Wish me luck!

Filled the fluids and let it run for about a half hour this evening. No leaks detected. I’m kind of astonished!

I’ll drive it around a bit tomorrow and check again.

One small leak from upper rad hose where it connects to tstat housing. I posted about it just now in the radiator replacement thread.

Ordered a black CA license plate today, should arrive in a couple months.

Fixed the small rad hose leak, then installed my grille inserts

1573357986752.jpeg

1573358016996.jpeg

1573358038358.jpeg

Reactions: EJD
Reactions: EJD