Kicker Subwoofer Install

R

Rowan River

Wanted to share my Kicker Subwoofer factory replacement. I would highly recommend this build. Turned out to be easier than I thought.

20210531_095220.jpg
I chose the Kicker CWRT67 because it is one of just a handful of subs that is 6.75 and the factory sub is 6 7/8. I figured the least amount of cutting.

20210530_144328.jpg

There's the factory subwoofer. The amp is behind it.

20210530_144309.jpg

There it is. Now to get it out.

20210530_144354.jpg

Take all these screws out.

20210530_145126.jpg

And the two on the back.

20210530_145355.jpg

Factory subwoofer with amp. Let me know if you want it. I'll mark "gone" once it finds a home.

20210530_152705.jpg

Some foam and fiber fill before closing up.

20210531_001549.jpg

Might as well fix that broken lock while I'm at it.

Now, the good news.

20210530_171120.jpg

No cutting! Drop in. Screw down. Run wires. Done.

How does it sound? Was thinking of using the same sub. What did you use for the amp?

So, far...pretty darn good for a TJ. If I do say so myself.

Here is my home made amp/CB combo.

20210531_131006.jpg

Ran 000 gauge to the rollbar. It is a Polk Audio 5-channel with 400w for the sub.

Here it is from the outside.

20210531_131346.jpg

Front tweeter mounting, if you are interested.

20210531_131634.jpg

Wanted to share my Kicker Subwoofer factory replacement. I would highly recommend this build. Turned out to be easier than I thought.

View attachment 256090I chose the Kicker CWRT67 because it is one of just a handful of subs that is 6.75 and the factory sub is 6 7/8. I figured the least amount of cutting.

View attachment 256099
There's the factory subwoofer. The amp is behind it.

View attachment 256101
There it is. Now to get it out.

View attachment 256102
Take all these screws out.

View attachment 256103
And the two on the back.

View attachment 256105
Factory subwoofer with amp. Let me know if you want it. I'll mark "gone" once it finds a home.

View attachment 256109
Some foam and fiber fill before closing up.

View attachment 256112
Might as well fix that broken lock while I'm at it.

Now, the good news.

View attachment 256116
No cutting! Drop in. Screw down. Run wires. Done.

Very nice clean install. So no trimming required inside the enclosure? What I gathered is that on most swaps, everyone had to cut/trim the fins inside the enclosure box.

Total non-auto audio person here....is it possible to use OP's subwoofer while leaving in/using factory amp? Would like to replace original subwoofer in my 06LJ and this one looks perfect...new, powerful and just drop in. Have looked at Quadratec's replacement and it doesn't look much if any better than the original. Would like to leave center console untouched and don't want/need extra amp under seat or wherever. Maybe this subwoofer and a new small amp the would fit in console without modification?

Total non-auto audio person here....is it possible to use OP's subwoofer while leaving in/using factory amp? Would like to replace original subwoofer in my 06LJ and this one looks perfect...new, powerful and just drop in. Have looked at Quadratec's replacement and it doesn't look much if any better than the original. Would like to leave center console untouched and don't want/need extra amp under seat or wherever. Maybe this subwoofer and a new small amp the would fit in console without modification?

you could, but all my research showed that the factory amp wouldn't have the jam to really make use of an aftermarket subwoofer.

I just ordered a full stereo for my 06... This was the best I could come up with with parts that are in stock and marine grade (sometimes the top gets left off in the rain or overnight in the dew). I ordered from Crutchfield as they ship all the install gear with it, double to single din adapters, etc... I could not find a marine head unit with CarPlay that had decent reviews and shipped to the great white north... So I went with a normal marine single-din.

• Head Unit: Kenwood KMR-M332BT
    • Marine digital media receiver (does not play CDs). Not a feature I'll miss. Have never used the stock CD player.
    • 22W RMS x4 channels, and has amp power wire/dedicated sub line out. I have the non-marine version with no amp in my other vehicle and it's awesome.
  • Amplifier: Clarion XC2510
    • Compact 5-channel amplifier — 50 watts RMS x 4 at 4 ohms + 300 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms*.
    • About as small an amp as I can find that still has some balls and comes from a reputable manufacturer. Hoping it'll fit under the dash but will see how I wind up mounting it.
  • Dash Corner Speakers: Rockford Fosgate T1462
    • Power Series 4"x6" 2-way car speakers
    • Had no real reason for picking these over other 4x6s. Have had rockford gear in the past and been pleased. Not marine grade but they're pretty well protected in the dash corners
  • Roll Bar Speakers: Polk Audio DB 522
    • DB+ Series 5-1/4" 2-way car speakers
    • Despite what Crutchfield says, these are marine grade. Have put a pair of these in a friend's truck and had good things to say about them, and they're relatively cheap.
  • Subwoofer: Kicker 48CWRT672
    • CompRT Series shallow-mount 6-3/4" subwoofer with dual 2-ohm* voice coils
    • Heard good things about these and with limited shallow mount options, this is what I chose to go with. I'm sure there's better options.
    • Is basically the same as the one described in the original post in this forum

*Make sure that the sub is the same ohm-rating as your amp. There's also a 4-ohm version of the sub

Last edited:
you could, but all my research showed that the factory amp wouldn't have the jam to really make use of an aftermarket subwoofer.

I just ordered a full stereo for my 06... This was the best I could come up with with parts that are in stock and marine grade (sometimes the top gets left off in the rain or overnight in the dew). I ordered from Crutchfield as they ship all the install gear with it, double to single din adapters, etc... I could not find a marine head unit with CarPlay that had decent reviews and shipped to the great white north... So I went with a normal marine single-din.

• Head Unit: Kenwood KMR-M332BT
    • Marine digital media receiver (does not play CDs). Not a feature I'll miss. Have never used the stock CD player.
    • 22W RMS x4 channels, and has amp power wire/dedicated sub line out. I have the non-marine version with no amp in my other vehicle and it's awesome.
  • Amplifier: Clarion XC2510
    • Compact 5-channel amplifier — 50 watts RMS x 4 at 4 ohms + 300 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms*.
    • About as small an amp as I can find that still has some balls and comes from a reputable manufacturer. Hoping it'll fit under the dash but will see how I wind up mounting it.
  • Dash Corner Speakers: Rockford Fosgate T1462
    • Power Series 4"x6" 2-way car speakers
    • Had no real reason for picking these over other 4x6s. Have had rockford gear in the past and been pleased. Not marine grade but they're pretty well protected in the dash corners
  • Roll Bar Speakers: Polk Audio DB 522
    • DB+ Series 5-1/4" 2-way car speakers
    • Despite what Crutchfield says, these are marine grade. Have put a pair of these in a friend's truck and had good things to say about them, and they're relatively cheap.
  • Subwoofer: Kicker 48CWRT672
    • CompRT Series shallow-mount 6-3/4" subwoofer with dual 2-ohm* voice coils
    • Heard good things about these and with limited shallow mount options, this is what I chose to go with. I'm sure there's better options.
    • Is basically the same as the one described in the original post in this forum

*Make sure that the sub is the same ohm-rating as your amp. There's also a 4-ohm version of the sub

You can easily fit 5 1/4 up front. That's what I went with. Seemed to be a better selection than the 4X6. Still looks like a great setup for what you're spending.

Did you need to cut anything out up there or did they just fit right in?

No cutting needed. If you select a 5 1/4 on Crutchfield, it will include a free Metra brackets. I ordered a month or so ago. Some would show an option of the bracket or you can add $90 pods. Some of them would only give you the option to add with the pods. Though I see no real reason the pods would be required. I'm sure they would sound better, but I didn't want to spend the money.

The model I got for the front:

JL Audio C1-525x
https://www.crutchfield.com/product/item/default.aspx?i=13699041

No cutting needed. If you select a 5 1/4 on Crutchfield, it will include a free Metra brackets. I ordered a month or so ago. Some would show an option of the bracket or you can add $90 pods. Some of them would only give you the option to add with the pods. Though I see no real reason the pods would be required. I'm sure they would sound better, but I didn't want to spend the money.

The model I got for the front:

JL Audio C1-525x
https://www.crutchfield.com/product/item/default.aspx?i=13699041

huh. I may look into sending the 4x6s back then, and match the 5.25s from the rear. thanks for the tip!

Reactions: suicideking
Any reason why you didn't go with 6.5" speakers in the sound bar?

They don’t fit behind the factory grilles. Anything I can’t conceal is most likely not going to be in the Jeep when I come out of the store/the office/back from the beach. Nobody’s gonna notice a somewhat crappy looking Kenwood head unit, but some nice looking 6.5s will grow legs pretty quick