Kill Switch Fuse

DonW

I've read many posts here about kill switches (I don't have a SKIM key) and I'm focussing on one option. Keeping it simple, I'm planning to remove a fuse and replace it with a two wire breakout, a switch, and an inline fuse with the switch hidden in the cab. I'd prefer to use a fuse located inside the cab fuse box (behind the glove box) for ease of installation, and if the switch/wiring fail, I can just replace the fuse breakout with a standard fuse, no wire hunting on the trail.

Given this, I've decided to use the following fuse for the kill switch on my '05 TJ I6 Manual:
Fuse #12, 10 Amp:
Fuse Functions: Sentry Key Immobilizer Module, Fuel Pump Relay, Automatic Shut Down Relay, Powertrain Control Module, Oxygen Sensor Downstream Heater Relay, Oxygen Sensor Upstream Heater Relay

I'm looking for any comments on this fuse choice and any problems that may arise. Any and all suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Reactions: inkedrose
Just so you know, not all car thieves even try to start the engine. My TJ was stolen and a witness indicated they never tried to start it before winching it backwards out of my company parking space and up onto their flatbed tow truck. He said they never even opened the door to my TJ and they were gone in under two minutes.

Just so you know, not all car thieves even try to start the engine. My TJ was stolen and a witness indicated they never tried to start it before winching it backwards out of my company parking space and up onto their flatbed tow truck. He said they never even opened the door to my TJ and they were gone in under two minutes.

Thanks, Jerry. I know there's no perfect solution, but adding a kill switch to my steering wheel lock and alarm, may put off the non-professional thief. The best outcome is they pass it by as being to much trouble.

Any thoughts on the choice of fuse #12 for the kill switch?

Kill switches are a good idea but I would also recommend doing something large and visible. Unfortunately our TJ's are beyond easy to break into. Anybody can easily open a TJ's locked door in about the same amount of time as it takes to use the key. A kill switch might stop them from driving away but it won't stop your door and steering column from being trashed. On top of that the keeping good insurance is your best option.

Ya know, some car thieves are just idiots. My brother-in-law always sets the parking brake and that is what prevented his car from being stolen. The idiots got the door open, hot wired the ignition, but that lever next to the console being in the UP position was too much for them to figure out. Car was in the street, doors wide open, and two black marks on the road from the rear tires dragging.

I've read many posts here about kill switches (I don't have a SKIM key) and I'm focussing on one option. Keeping it simple, I'm planning to remove a fuse and replace it with a two wire breakout, a switch, and an inline fuse with the switch hidden in the cab. I'd prefer to use a fuse located inside the cab fuse box (behind the glove box) for ease of installation, and if the switch/wiring fail, I can just replace the fuse breakout with a standard fuse, no wire hunting on the trail.

Given this, I've decided to use the following fuse for the kill switch on my '05 TJ I6 Manual:
Fuse #12, 10 Amp:
Fuse Functions: Sentry Key Immobilizer Module, Fuel Pump Relay, Automatic Shut Down Relay, Powertrain Control Module, Oxygen Sensor Downstream Heater Relay, Oxygen Sensor Upstream Heater Relay

I'm looking for any comments on this fuse choice and any problems that may arise. Any and all suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

The best kill switch that I have seen is this one below- and it works perfectly. Designed by a Jeeper too (though sadly he is not with us anymore). I have it in my 1996 XJ and unless I tell folks where to activate it, they cannot start the vehicle.

https://offroadonly.com/shop/other/off-road-only-theft-deterrent-system/

@DonW please post when you're done. I joke that I have a stick as theft deterrent but looking to do something similar

Ya know, some car thieves are just idiots. My brother-in-law always sets the parking brake and that is what prevented his car from being stolen. The idiots got the door open, hot wired the ignition, but that lever next to the console being in the UP position was too much for them to figure out. Car was in the street, doors wide open, and two black marks on the road from the rear tires dragging.

There's about 3 people on the planet who use parking brakes. Myself, my wife, and your brother in law! ;)

My brothers 76 F-250 highboy was stolen the same way , the folks who watched it happen just thought it was an old Ford that broke down . thieves suck :mad:

You could just buy a manual and eliminate all the thieves under 30 years old!

There's about 3 people on the planet who use parking brakes. Myself, my wife, and your brother in law! ;)

IIRC, there was a time when setting the parking brake kept the rear brakes properly adjusted.
Guess that doesn't apply much anymore since most are disc now.

The only time I don't use the E-brake is when there is extreme deep slush and I'll be parking overnight is freezing temps. These mountains kinda make you use it if you want to find your Jeep where you parked it or you don't want to find your vehicle jammed in Park if you didn't choose the third pedal option!

Reactions: Zorba

i’ve always utilized the parking brake due to all the manual trans. vehicles i’ve had. still use it even rolling in an automatic these days. pisses the wife off when i’ve driven her car. just a habit i guess.

i’ve always utilized the parking brake due to all the manual trans. vehicles i’ve had. still use it even rolling in an automatic these days. pisses the wife off when i’ve driven her car. just a habit i guess.

My wife and I always set the brake. Its interesting when someone else needs to move one of our vehicles - like a mechanic or the time I had the MBZ towed. They're flummoxed by the set parking brake! I don't get it, its just basic technique.

My late father was notorious for not using the brake, or if he did, not releasing it. We were unhitching our fifth wheel at Organ Pipe Cactus Nat'l Park years back - I was jacking the front of the trailer up, when the ball cleared the socket in the truck bed, the truck started rolling! Both doors were open, I leapt in the driver's side, while my dad leapt in the passenger's side. He reached across with his hand and pressed on the brake pedal a 10th of a microsecond before I smashed down on same with my foot! The truck stopped, but there was a large amount of "noise"... :ROFLMAO:

5 speed here.. e-brake and second gear. Muscle memory developed over forty years of driving a manual.

The ORO kill switch is a really easy solution. Does exactly what the OP is asking for without having to worry about which fuse, wire gauge or switches.

My wife and I always set the brake. Its interesting when someone else needs to move one of our vehicles - like a mechanic or the time I had the MBZ towed. They're flummoxed by the set parking brake! I don't get it, its just basic technique.

My late father was notorious for not using the brake, or if he did, not releasing it. We were unhitching our fifth wheel at Organ Pipe Cactus Nat'l Park years back - I was jacking the front of the trailer up, when the ball cleared the socket in the truck bed, the truck started rolling! Both doors were open, I leapt in the driver's side, while my dad leapt in the passenger's side. He reached across with his hand and pressed on the brake pedal a 10th of a microsecond before I smashed down on same with my foot! The truck stopped, but there was a large amount of "noise"... :ROFLMAO:

as a 16 yr. old kid i parked my new to me 76 datsun280Z in front of my parents house on a slight hill. walked off and turned to admire my Z car and it was rolling down the street. luckily the passenger window was down and i ran and drove headfirst into the car jerking the parking brake stopping just a few feet from going off the side of the bridge just past my parents driveway. bout near shit myself on that one! that’s the day i learned to always set the parking brake, guess it was an emergency brake that day!

as a 16 yr. old kid i parked my new to me 76 datsun280Z in front of my parents house on a slight hill. walked off and turned to admire my Z car and it was rolling down the street. luckily the passenger window was down and i ran and drove headfirst into the car jerking the parking brake stopping just a few feet from going off the side of the bridge just past my parents driveway. bout near shit myself on that one! that’s the day i learned to always set the parking brake, guess it was an emergency brake that day!

I have NEVER understood why people won't set the damn brake. Every time. Yet, an overwhelming majority never do. Yes, there are certain situations where its a bad idea to use it - then chock the wheels!

IIRC, there was a time when setting the parking brake kept the rear brakes properly adjusted.
Guess that doesn't apply much anymore since most are disc now.

Doesn't need to apply since the parking brake function is not part of the service brakes. Unless you do something silly, they (parking brake shoes) stay in adjustment since they don't wear much at all.

Reactions: Zorba