Kim's 99 Jeep Wrangler Build Thread

How do you like the half doors? Nice Jeep btw :)

Well, I can't really say as far as having just the half doors. I just bought the Jeep in Jan. 2019 and it has been to cold to take the uppers off. LOL As far as with the uppers, I do like them. I think I will enjoy them a lot when summer gets here and I can take the uppers off. :D

I have to say, coming from roll up windows on all my cars, it was a bit strange to get used to unzipping the windows to go through drive thru's. LOL

Reactions: MangoTango
Well, change of plans. LOL I was originally going to prep and paint the center console today and install it tomorrow. Well, after "test" fitting the part that goes over the E brake, I have decided to hold off till spring/summer. I will probably prep and paint it before then, but I feel it will be easier to remove at least one seat to have more access. Also, I want to clean my carpet while it is out so it will be easier to do that on a sunny day.

After inspecting the unit, the only difference I can see is mine has a little tab that sticks out at the very front. ( front being under the dash part of the tunnel) That tab doesn't appear to do anything. There is no screw hole and I can lift it up a bit. So I'm thinking it shouldn't be a big deal that my new one doesn't have it. Other then that it appears to look like it will work. When I did the test fit on the bigger part with the armrest, I didn't remove my E Brake boot, so it didn't really sit in there to well, but it appears that it will be fine once the boot is out of the way. I forgot to take pics of the test fit, but it was kind of dark anyway. Of course it started raining just after I got it, so I had to test fit it while the Jeep was under the carport. LOL

Now a question. I figured out how to get the airbag switch out because it was still in the new one, and easy to see underneath. Question is, how does one get the automatic shifter out? Also, as some noticed from the ebay ad, it has a tab broke off that sits in the shifter area. What does that tab hold? The shifter or is it so one can mount the console to tunnel? I'm just trying to see if I need to add a L bracket to it to hold what ever down.

uWhNBvGPSQOffT2yil9%OQ.jpg

0f8cTOOwQx2oZ6pHhv1cYQ.jpg

i687j0mBTAG7OFq4343ztQ.jpg

+WuljTADQNq5+XtbW%T24w.jpg

Reactions: MangoTango
Well, I said I was going to wait till the weekend to paint. Didn't. LOL I was sitting on the couch looking out and it was so nice and sunny. I decided to prep and paint.

Sprayed a bonding paint on it first. Not primer, but it actually say's bonding on the spray can.

When I got one piece done, I went on to the next then started the painting of the actual color. During this process it started to get cloudy. Had the big puffy clouds, so cloud then sun and so on.

I waited the hour that the can said to wait, then sprayed the clear coat. The wind had just started to kick up as I was spraying it on. Finished it, then proceeded to put away my cans of paint and all. I walk back out to check on things, and here came the sprinkles. LOL I hurried up and picked the whole cans that they are on and rushed them just inside the door of the garage. :D I didn't want to put them all the way in as it is really cold in there and I wanted them to get as much heat as possible from the sun, when it did peak out.

I'll go close the garage door after about and hour and call it good enough. The rain drops didn't really hurt anything so I lucked out.

The can say's that on plastic surfaces it will be fully dry in 5-7 days. I don't plan on trying to get them in the Jeep that soon anyway, so it will work out ok. Supposed to rain next week again, and I want to wait till I have a full day of nice sunny weather to attempt the swap out of the consoles. :D

I finally got my trunk drawer done. Hubby helped set up the sliders and build the drawer itself, then today I stained it and mounted it to the sliders. After install in the Jeep, I wish I would have mounted the slider all the way at the bottom of the drawer. It just barely clears the little tie down loop that is under the mat. I may take it out and move them down, in turn moving the drawer up, LOL, later on if I find that once I put stuff in, it won't slide well.

Still have room behind the seats for misc stuff. :D

It's also deep enough that I can still keep my little collapsable crate in it too. :D

Eventually I will build a folding top for it. That way I can put my little tool box in it and be able to lock it. Sure is going to be nice to be able to pull it out and put my groceries in it though. :D Course, it's almost summer so I will probably have to top off and not need to pull it out. LOL Oh well, will work great next year. :D

I also added my PPE to my hood and side panels. :D I decided to go with the actual PPE from Sheb Wooley's album. :D

Once the weather gets a bit warmer and the chance of rain is further apart, I plan on removing all the black writing on the sides and change it to purple. I also received my pin striping so that will be R&R'd too.

Is that a one eyed purple people eater? 😀
I like your white tj with half doors. I have one too 😁
20190309_161846.jpg

I also like the purple accents. However I must tell you something you may not want to hear...
These 4.0 motors can sometimes get hot, esp in summer. If you ever find your tj getting too hot you may have to consider removing the purple grill inserts at least till the issue is corrected ☺

Reactions: KimsJeep
Is that a one eyed purple people eater? 😀
I like your white tj with half doors. I have one too 😁
View attachment 83731
I also like the purple accents. However I must tell you something you may not want to hear...
These 4.0 motors can sometimes get hot, esp in summer. If you ever find your tj getting too hot you may have to consider removing the purple grill inserts at least till the issue is corrected ☺

Yes, it is the original PPE from Sheb Wooley's PPE album. LOL

That's good to know about the overheating. I will keep an eye on it this summer. :D

Reactions: KCsTJ
Today I changed the gear oil in both differentials and the fluid in the transfer case.

I figured out a way to make less of a mess when doing the transfer case. :D Little tin foil to the rescue.

Worked good. :D

My support crew was making sure all went well. :D

Then I put my LED dash lights in. I love them. They work great. I can actually see all my gauges now. :D

Hubby found me a mat for my trunk drawer so I had to cut it and make it fit. That should stop things from sliding around. :D

OH, alost forgot. While the covers were off the diff's, I had to paint them purple. LOL

So today was a good day. Got a lot done and even though the oils were probably good, I know for sure they are now. :D

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
Today it was nice enough to install the center console. I ordered a speaker and it was do to be delivered today also, so while I was waiting on it, I started on the removal of the other one.

Just a little garbage under it.

fullsizeoutput_3649.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_364b.jpeg

Got that all vacuumed out then went to work on the new to me shifter part of the console. It was missing the part that holds it down so I made something to make it work. :D

fullsizeoutput_3657.jpeg

Then it was time to get it in.

BLSES%jhQD2qDIppZk5UeA.jpg

As you can see, I ran the speaker wire while I was in there. I also put in my last purple LED light. All lights are now purple. :D

fullsizeoutput_364f.jpeg

Here it is the finished product.

yLhfHUkaRjmmBuHA+X4%Gg.jpg

I haven't put the lock back in it yet as I want to take it to a locksmith to see if they can rekey it to my key. The black paint I chose is a bit blacker then the other interior, but I'm ok with that. :D

Now I need to find the rubber boot that goes into the cupholders in the front. It didn't come with it and eBay and all seem like they want a lot for it. I need to see if I can find a different vehicle that might have one that will work. Figure if it is for a Ford, Chevy or..... It will probably be 5 bucks. LOL

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
It's been a while since I updated this, even though I have been posting most of my updates the "What did you do" thread. LOL

First of all, I installed an Alien shade and also a windjammer. Love them both. Sure is nice to have the back windows out and the uppers and roof closed when it is chilly in the mornings. Then later in the afternoon just put the top down or sunroof and pull the uppers and I"m naked. :D LOL

3NtK1fTfS0+yEKiKgvwUTw.jpg
eY6aHykTS7mVUxBMEvNHsA.jpg

We attempted to make a kayak holder, but my original plan failed. Was planning on using to T poles one in the back hitch and one in a hitch hubby welded to the front. Thing is, I don't have a 20foot kayak. LOL So now it is a recovery point and can double as a winch holder.

E%GqzHYLSZiVr9QBGBpjIA.jpg

Hubby is a jack of all trades master of none, so excuse is lovely welds. LOL We need to relocate the light bar and when we do that I am going to use that bed liner stuff to paint the bumper and help cover some of the nice welding. LOL

uxvRuL0iToigTUjiLPcg8w.jpg

I wasn't happy with the output of the back up lights, so I added another one. Purple of course. :D

UUKQ2AIDT2ee204glko+Aw.jpg

Then lastly, I painted my mirror stocks purple and also bought a rack from Harbor freight for the back.

utRCaaXxS5i+j6qX9%xKpQ.jpg
QPXPvl4gQPaEOlA0JAlQbA.jpg

That pretty much brings this up date. :D

It's been a while since I updated my thread. I've been sharing most of what I do in the "What I did to my TJ" thread. LOL So most of you probably already seen this stuff. :D

Put a light bar on so we could make a kayak rack. In the info for the rack it said it worked with soft tops. Well, it must be old info as it doesn't work with newer sunroof style sunroofs. I ended up having to cut the light brackets off.

92lr%9E7QwyNPI4NoZW1uQ.jpg

This is a pic of them already removed. Just shows how close the top comes to the bar and the need to cut the brackets off. Didn't need them anyway. :D

ATUyKV6jQWu12f0NUale5g.jpg

I also painted the door handles. :D

Before,

RNTBM+LNQrKFV3Y9QwAKTQ.jpg

After,

qVovVQvJQe2Ogu7bQplvJw.jpg

5INpGfGDQtiR6bNI2GBvCA.jpg

My personalized plates came in too. :D

X%v+8GJsRF6nV5ifWyBq%g.jpg

Then the latest thing we go accomplished was my kayak rack. It is made so I can lift the back and rest it on the back bracket, then lift the front and walk it around to the front rack. Makes it so much easier to load. It's only a 50 lb kayak but it is just to awkward to lift it all the way up at once.

sOiIEvSTSc+t1s%ppAgcXg.jpg

EfaGebnySkeOZ3fAPfmQyw.jpg

ZVTJU60JRYKulFZW9y9f%w.jpg

6uKirhKyS4GkJhpK51Yp%w.jpg

The reason we used a rack on top of the T bar and light bar is to eventually ad the J style kayak mounts to it. That way when my friend wants to go, I can haul 2 kayaks. :D

Other then that, I have just been driving it daily. That and continuously looking for other things I can do to it, on the cheap!! LOL

I really need to start updating this as I do things instead of just posting in the "what did you do to your TJ today" thread. LOL

So here are some of the things I have done since the last time I posted.

Installed a USB charger in place of the cig lighter spot.

FEyZ2pfzTImqKS8XFcYEig.jpg

%S%s9Z1JS7+eZkUNXvbTeQ.jpg

I had a friend of mine (lives in another state) make me some tail light covers. Forgot to tell here that it needs to be below the reverse light. LOL So needless to say, I didn't put these on. Thought it would be neat and one of a kind, but didn't want to ask her to remake them. LOL

ktf6K9xFT6q3sw+uvevg5Q.jpg

Cleaned the throttle body.

Before,

J6+ZvIEfSGiy4AjTeeBB3Q.jpg

after,

923gxQDFTqqHRa5KPu5UqQ.jpg

Replaced the upstream 02 sensor.

fullsizeoutput_3ac5.jpeg

Bought and installed the Rugged Ridge dash tray/phone holder.

XRPGtv4LR92uGlsOa9wDpA.jpg

Not thrilled with the phone holder. I tried to take video with it today and it vibrates too much. It should be good enough for using the map feature which is the only reason I would put the phone in it, besides the video I tried to take. I normally just leave my phone in may pocket. :D

Replaced the crankshaft sensor. No pics of the old or new one, but I took a pic of where it is located. LOL Was not an easy task to get the ratchet in there.

fullsizeoutput_3be6.jpeg

Then today I installed some small LED lights on the bumper. I'm hoping to use them as driving lights, but not sure if the cops will like that, or other drivers. Hoping they are not too bright. I ordered a switch for them today so sometime next week I will finish the job.

YWjQ2U9ZRjKW9n1Mqc5Qrg.jpg

DtW9jXXWQeGOPzYsSBVMHA.jpg

That pretty much brings me back up to date. :D

Oh, and yah, I still need to do the purple striping. LOL I did kind of "test" the old stuff to see how it will come off, but just peeled up a little corner, then stopped. LOL I will get to it, eventually. I'm kind of scared to do it as I don't want to screw it up and have mountains instead of a stripe. LOL :D

Maybe I overlooked it, but did your 02 sensor make any difference?

I can't really tell. LOL So I guess not. Although, the check engine light hasn't come back on for the "random misfire", but it did come on for the crankshaft sensor. Even with changing that too, I can't really tell a difference in how it runs. With that being said, so far I haven't had any weird hiccups like I had a time or two before. A couple times it would act like it bogged down when I went to take off, or maybe stumble a little when at an idle right after starting it. So far, KNOCK ON WOOD, it hasn't done that again.

I really need to start updating this as I do things instead of just posting in the "what did you do to your TJ today" thread. LOL

So here are some of the things I have done since the last time I posted.

Installed a USB charger in place of the cig lighter spot.

View attachment 110622

View attachment 110623

I had a friend of mine (lives in another state) make me some tail light covers. Forgot to tell here that it needs to be below the reverse light. LOL So needless to say, I didn't put these on. Thought it would be neat and one of a kind, but didn't want to ask her to remake them. LOL

View attachment 110621

Cleaned the throttle body.

Before,

View attachment 110624

after,

View attachment 110625

Replaced the upstream 02 sensor.

View attachment 110628

Bought and installed the Rugged Ridge dash tray/phone holder.

View attachment 110629

Not thrilled with the phone holder. I tried to take video with it today and it vibrates too much. It should be good enough for using the map feature which is the only reason I would put the phone in it, besides the video I tried to take. I normally just leave my phone in may pocket. :D

Replaced the crankshaft sensor. No pics of the old or new one, but I took a pic of where it is located. LOL Was not an easy task to get the ratchet in there.

View attachment 110630

Then today I installed some small LED lights on the bumper. I'm hoping to use them as driving lights, but not sure if the cops will like that, or other drivers. Hoping they are not too bright. I ordered a switch for them today so sometime next week I will finish the job.

View attachment 110631
View attachment 110632

That pretty much brings me back up to date. :D

Oh, and yah, I still need to do the purple striping. LOL I did kind of "test" the old stuff to see how it will come off, but just peeled up a little corner, then stopped. LOL I will get to it, eventually. I'm kind of scared to do it as I don't want to screw it up and have mountains instead of a stripe. LOL :D

A tip for laying the pinstripes...lay it in long sections. Like the entire side. In other words, carefully place a few inches at the back, for instance, then hold it off the jeep as you walk it forward. Once you get to the front, slowly start laying it onto the Jeep while keeping it taunt. I hope that makes sense without pictures. If you try to lay a few inches at a time, you'll have a mess. It's not as bad as you think.

Reactions: KimsJeep