Kindle Fire Navigation App

Igoo65

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Does anyone know if I can add a GPS navigation app to my Kindle Fire? I know people have used IPads and Android tablets for this. I have a perfectly good Kindle Fire laying around and I would like to use it, instead of having to buy a tablet or IPad. I have searched the internet for this, without much luck. Sorry, I'm just trying to be "frugal", OK cheap!
Thanks,
Igoo65

Good question. I thought about replacing my Android tablet with a Kindle Fire, and decided against it partly because Amazon's selection of apps sucks.

If this link works, it will give you a list of all the GPS apps Amazon has for Kindle Fire:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=gps&i=mobile-apps&ref=nb_sb_noss_2&tag=wranglerorg-20

I don't see any of the popular GPS apps in the list, and what's there doesn't seem to get good reviews. You might get lucky and find something workable on the list, though.

Reactions: Igoo65
I have one and have thought about that too. I'm not sure it has gps. You may be able to add gps through the usb port, but I'm not sure. If you do some things amazon doesn't like you can get whatever apps you want from the google play store. I've already done this to get chrome and games.

Like i said, thought about it for a minute, haven't really tried to make it work yet.

Just verified mine doesn't have gps, location services only lists wifi. Micro usb gps dongle is about $30. Bluetooth is about $85 with a 2 minute check.

I can install and run gpx viewer and see trails, but i don't show up on the map.

I don't know about kindle but I used the GAIA GPS app on my phone in Moab and it was really good. You can download maps off google by typing in the trail name then .gps and it will then over lay the map on the app.

Last edited:
I don't think there's that big a difference pricewise between a Fire and a Samsung 8" Tablet. I bought last years model for my father for like $85 or less. And it's android. and has gps. So you can do pretty much anything with it. Fire's are pretty limited. I have a few that ended up in junk drawers. Just not flexible enough. Except for reading books. And netflix.

I don't know about kindle but I used the GAIA GPS app on my phone in Moab and it was really good. You can download maps off google by typing in the trail name then .gps and it will then over lay the map on the app.

I downloaded that app a couple of weeks ago, havent used it enough to determine how useful it will be but Ive heard good things.

I'm giving up on Garmin after many years now that I finally learned how to upload my .gpx files to Google Maps. I just need to find a large phone or small tablet that fits the space where the Garmin lives.