KK Liberty Junk Yard Upgrades

jjvw

useless stäff member
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Last week, I picked up for myself a 2010 Jeep Liberty KK to mostly replace my TJ as my primary daily driver. Especially as the TJ ungoes some large and interesting improvements in the near future.

20220802_193449~3.jpg

So far, I like the KK a lot. Those with similar, what have you used as junk yard upgrades? From what I have read, Jeep left many of the premium upgrades in the stock general wiring harness. I had been looking at adding factory cruise control, various power outlets, ambient temp displays and compasses, etc. What kind of things can be taken from the similar years of nicer JK, Commander, Cherokee, Patriots?

Last edited:
Last week, I picked up for myself a 2010 Jeep Liberty KK to mostly replace my TJ as my primary daily driver. Especially as the TJ ungoes some large and interesting improvements in the near future.

View attachment 350805

So far, I like the KK a lot. Those with similar, what have you used as junk yard upgrades? From what I have read, Jeep left many of the premium upgrades in the stock general wiring harness. I had been looking at adding factory cruise control, various power outlets, ambient temp displays and compasses, etc. What kind of things can be taken from the similar years of nicer JK, Commander, Cherokee, Patriots?

Jk axles, pretty much bolt in :)

View attachment 350805

Rain sensing wipers were an option. I've heard it's pretty decent for what it was. I'm biased though, it rains a lot here 😂

Is the TJ going to be mostly trail use after the upcoming modifications? Just curious. It's certainly nice to have a little more modern daily driver with some creature comforts. I've been occasionally thinking about what I'll replace my XJ with whenever it dies (I need something that'll ferry 4 adults + some cargo) so I'll be watching for your impressions of the KK. It seems (and looks) like the XJ's spiritual successor, IFS notwithstanding.

Last edited:
Reactions: lBasket
Rain sensing wipers were an option. I've heard it's pretty decent for what it was. I'm biased though, it rains a lot here 😂

Is the TJ going to be mostly trail use after the upcoming modifications? Just curious. It's certainly nice to have a little more modern daily driver with some creature comforts. I've been occasionally thinking about what I'll replace my XJ with whenever it dies (I need something that'll ferry 4 adults + some cargo) so I'll be watching for your impressions of the KK. It seems (and looks) like the XJ's spiritual successor, IFS notwithstanding.

I have a buddy that bought a KK because of the apparent "spiritual successor" to XJ. He hated it. I think it lasted 3 years for him and it got moved along. Lots of electrical problems (though I don't know the specifics) and I think it ALSO had rust issues (so, they go it right in that regard, LOL).

Reactions: psrivats
I have a buddy that bought a KK because of the apparent "spiritual successor" to XJ. He hated it. I think it lasted 3 years for him and it got moved along. Lots of electrical problems (though I don't know the specifics) and I think it ALSO had rust issues (so, they go it right in that regard, LOL).

The electrical problems seem to be a very common thing on vehicles from that era, given how new infotainment system integration still were at that time. I think they have gotten much better these days though, but still not perfect esp on brand new vehicle models. Just look at the JK/JL ..

• Sad
Reactions: lBasket

The KK is a bit of an odd vehicle. Definitely not expensive or specifically high quality. But it has a certain type of no nonsense practically that I am enjoying quite a bit.

It is exactly what I expected it to be after the previous research on what I was after and what I wanted to afford. And after reading a few forums about the cross platform sharing of components, I got a bit more excited about what I could piece together for myself.

Reactions: lBasket and Mike_H
The funny thing is that from what I gather, a 32" tire needs about a 4" lift on this thing. 🤣

I'm not surprised given what little room the fenders seem to offer.

But hey, those plastic fender flares look removable. Maybe there's more fender clearance to be had under there ;)

Some other things I have scavenged are Grand Cherokee floor mats (same size and shape), rubber door seals and an unbroken center console lid.

I want to find and figure out how difficult it is to put factory heated seats in.

Reactions: tworley
I'm not surprised given what little room the fenders seem to offer.

But hey, those plastic fender flares look removable. Maybe there's more fender clearance to be had under there ;)

People do that. It looks really dumb. More dumb than a second generation stock Jeep Liberty!