KL Cherokee CEL

tworley

Ignored :(
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
My wife has a 2015 KL Cherokee latitude with the 2.4. She rear ended someone tonight and there is no visible damage outside the jeep. However, once she got home the CEL popped on. I did the key on/off/on/off/on trick and it says P code on the dash. Anyone know what that means? I'm finding a lot of "take it to the dealer" comments in my research. Any other way I can retrieve codes without a scanner?

One bit of info--i popped the hood and noticed some shutters behind the grill, several of them were popped out. I easily popped them back into place and a little bit of research shows that is called an active grill shutter. That might make sense since she rear ended someone for them to pop out and trigger a CEL.

Active grille shutter? I'm so confused :ROFLMAO:

I'm shocked you don't own an OBDII scanner. You don't strike me as the type that wouldn't own one.

I think you need a scanner to be able to diagnose further.

If you swing by auto zone, o'Reilly or an auto parts store like that they will scan it and let you know any codes.

Active grille shutter? I'm so confused :ROFLMAO:

I'm shocked you don't own an OBDII scanner. You don't strike me as the type that wouldn't own one.

I think you need a scanner to be able to diagnose further.
I should get one. Just for instances like this. Any recommendations? The AGS regulates engine temps at speed from what I understand.

If you swing by auto zone, o'Reilly or an auto parts store like that they will scan it and let you know any codes.
Stores near me are closed right now. I'll have to have it scanned tomorrow. Seems like any vehicle should be able to tell you the CEL codes. Or maybe that's just my opinion

I should get one. Just for instances like this. Any recommendations? The AGS regulates engine temps at speed from what I understand.

That's interesting. So they have grilles that open up at speed to regulate engine temps? Seems overly complicated, but I'm not surprised. If that's the case, I'll bet this code has something to do with those getting smashed and not working anymore.

Honestly, you can download one of thousands of OBDII readers in the app store and pair it with one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XGB4873/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Then you just use your phone as an OBDII reader. I believe a very popular app for doing this is the "Torque" app. I also highly recommend J-Scan, which is a Jeep specific app that reads codes and works well with this OBDII module.

I used it on my JK and have nothing but positive things to say about J-Scan and that OBDII module I linked to above.

Reactions: tworley
That's interesting. So they have grilles that open up at speed to regulate engine temps? Seems overly complicated, but I'm not surprised. If that's the case, I'll bet this code has something to do with those getting smashed and not working anymore.

Honestly, you can download one of thousands of OBDII readers in the app store and pair it with one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XGB4873/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Then you just use your phone as an OBDII reader. I believe a very popular app for doing this is the "Torque" app. I also highly recommend J-Scan, which is a Jeep specific app that reads codes and works well with this OBDII module.

I used it on my JK and have nothing but positive things to say about J-Scan and that OBDII module I linked to above.
Thats the way I am understanding it. At highway speeds, it will open/close based on engine temps. This controls fuel efficiency. It seems to be only on the smaller 2.4 engines.

Thanks. It's probably not a bad tool to have, just picked one up. I do find it slightly irritating that when searching KL forums, 95% of the responses are "take it to a dealer". I enjoy being able to key on/off/on/off/on and knowing whats wrong. The simplicity of the TJ shines here.

Thats the way I am understanding it. At highway speeds, it will open/close based on engine temps. This controls fuel efficiency. It seems to be only on the smaller 2.4 engines.

Thanks. It's probably not a bad tool to have, just picked one up. I do find it slightly irritating that when searching KL forums, 95% of the responses are "take it to a dealer". I enjoy being able to key on/off/on/off/on and knowing whats wrong. The simplicity of the TJ shines here.

Haha, I suspect that the newer the vehicle gets, the more you're going to hear, "take it to the dealer".

I get it too. These new vehicles only get more-and-more sophisticated. My mom has a 2019 Mazda CX-5 with more electronic gizmos than you can imagine. No way in hell I would touch that thing. I'd take it to a dealer or a reputable shop for anything but the most basic stuff.

Grilles that open and close... seems like some sort of bullshit they put there to satisfy EPA regulations... sheesh.

So they have grilles that open up at speed to regulate engine temps? Seems overly complicated, but I'm not surprised. If that's the case, I'll bet this code has something to do with those getting smashed and not working anymore.

I have a 2015 GMC Sierra. From what I understand the 2016 and newer models also have "active" grills. So glad I do not have to deal with that!

I have a 2015 GMC Sierra. From what I understand the 2016 and newer models also have "active" grills. So glad I do not have to deal with that!

That's crazy! I didn’t even know what an “active grille” was until this thread.

Just more complicated crap to go wrong 🤣

Reactions: tworley
Well I reinstalled the shutters. They were not broken, just popped out. I checked the code at advance auto and it was exactly that; active grill shutter. They wouldn't clear it for me so I did a hard reset and the CEL hasn't came back on. Time will tell!

Reactions: reddvltj and Web98
That's crazy! I didn’t even know what an “active grille” was until this thread.

Just more complicated crap to go wrong 🤣
A lot of commercial trucks have similar set ups for use in colder climates. I'm surprised Ford, GM, and Ram haven't incorporated that idea into a cold weather package for their diesel trucks the way they have with block heaters. I know the Cummins sure could use it, they have a hard time staying at operating temp when the temps drop into the teens and single digits.

A lot of commercial trucks have similar set ups for use in colder climates. I'm surprised Ford, GM, and Ram haven't incorporated that idea into a cold weather package for their diesel trucks the way they have with block heaters. I know the Cummins sure could use it, they have a hard time staying at operating temp when the temps drop into the teens and single digits.

It's been standard on all GM 1500's for a few years. I'm not sure about the diesel though, might still be fine tuning it for that, since now it's used to block off air flow and improve aerodynamics when cooling system and a/c demands are low.

Reactions: reddvltj

I could understand how this might work in a cold weather climate, that makes complete sense (y)

Reactions: reddvltj
I can say this. With an all aluminum block and heads. The cooling system can quickly under cool the system.

On my f150 i lost my belt and it took forever for it to start overheating. It was still 90+ degrees outside and the forced airflow was enough to keep it from overheating up till i pulled off the freeway.

After that it quickly started to overheat.

Here’s what my 2019 did to me last week , at least they gave me a decent loaner, And the error light disabled 4wd and brakes due to some wheel sensors. We’ll find out tomorrow, the JL Sahara was worth more than my kL new

532B5136-90ED-4C1F-B4DA-61917A39A7B8.jpeg

C0A2E512-40DA-45C2-A182-C798B6B77222.jpeg