KM3 question & aluminum rim damage question

Westtown Willy

TJ dummy
Supporting Member
First, I have the opportunity to pick up four 33x12.5 KM3s for $800 to put on my existing 15 inch rims, from what I’ve seen that’s a good price but I thought I read somewhere here that they aren’t going to be making the KM3 for a 15 inch rim anymore, does anyone know if that’s actually true? It doesn’t really make sense given how common that size is but if it’s true I don’t want to put a discontinued tire on…

Second, I’ve done some damage to my aluminum rims & I’m no expert so I’m not sure when this kind of damage becomes hazardous, is there anything in particular I should be looking for to determine if they need to be replaced? This is what they look like:

IMG_7540.JPG
IMG_7541.JPG
IMG_7542.JPG
IMG_7543.JPG

I would not hesitate to buy a set of the tires. Even if they discontinue them ,those are still good to go. Wheels may be in rough shape but if you changed them wouldnt you scratch up a new set too. If they dont leak use them. Now if a chunk was missing thats different. A little sand paper and paint and You should be good to go.

I would not hesitate to buy a set of the tires. Even if they discontinue them ,those are still good to go. Wheels may be in rough shape but if you changed them wouldnt you scratch up a new set too. If they dont leak use them. Now if a chunk was missing thats different. A little sand paper and paint and You should be good to go.

My concern is shredding one 6 months or a year from now not being able to match it…

As for the rims I was thinking more along the lines of safety than appearance, I’m not concerned with the look of the scratches. There was a time when I touched them up after every offroad trip but that got old, I’m now working my way towards one continuous gouge that goes all the way around the rims, like a racing stripe :D

Reactions: Scott Davidson
You might keep an eye out for any cracks but that rock rash is like a badge of honour.

After a big revamp and according to their website, as of this time BFG will offer 33 inch KM3's in the following sizes for the USA market.
  • 33X10.5XR15C
  • 33X12.5XR15C
  • 33X12.5XR17E
  • 33X12.5XR20E
A lot of changes are taking place with the move to 17 being the standard although I believe the 15 market will stay relevant for some time to come because If BFG stopped making a 33x12.5xR15 they would simply lose too many customers to a tire co. that does continue to make them. Also, the profit margin on old tire sizes is substantially more on account of the molds having well paid for themselves.