Knocking/clunking sound

Michael Roberson

TJ Enthusiast
Local Chrysler dealer just examined my drive line as I requested. I heard a noise that they could reproduce. A week later I'm getting a knocking sound as a roll to a stop. Noticeable only at about 5-10mph. it's faster than than the rotation of the tire. I can feel it under my seat. Thoughts? Stock 06 80k miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it's under your seat it sounds like it's a driveshaft issue (i.e. a bad u-joint in your driveshaft).

It might be worth getting under there and looking.

There's about an 1/8 inch side to side play in the front U joint. I suspect that's it. Agree?

Should be no play in the joints. Pull the shaft and inspect em then drive without it and see if the noise is gone.

Reactions: Chris
I had it at the Jeep dealer for a physical check up. It past with flying colors. I picked it up and heard the noise again. Took it back and they said "oh crap, we forgot to replace your front drive shaft". Seems they released it to me before the work was done. Back tomorrow to have it replaced under warranty. This is not a small shop. It's a freakin large Jeep shop with its own off road build shop. How odd.

Reactions: Chris
Haha... They released it to you before the work was done?

I'd be at the service department saying okay, that means I get a discount on the service, right?

I'll bet they'd give it to you too!

Reactions: etc1006
I had it at the Jeep dealer for a physical check up. It past with flying colors. I picked it up and heard the noise again. Took it back and they said "oh crap, we forgot to replace your front drive shaft". Seems they released it to me before the work was done. Back tomorrow to have it replaced under warranty. This is not a small shop. It's a freakin large Jeep shop with its own off road build shop. How odd.

I'm assuming it is Mt. View. Don't know anything about the dealer service shop but only hear great things about Ringgold Offroad.

Reactions: Michael Roberson