Knocking when accelerating

Cole

TJ Enthusiast
Hello all!

Just getting the Jeep out and running for the year, noticed something new since it went into storage last year (if not new, at least louder)

When starting from a dead stop (whether turning left, right, or going straight) once I get up to about 4-6 mph (not sure of RPM's) there's a sound that from what I can tell is coming from the front left/center of the Jeep. It sounds like a knocking noise, or something that is loose that is maybe hitting something... kind of hard to describe. I'll try to get a video later..

It doesn't do it while in Neutral or Park and revving the engine.

Recently replaced the U joints and Ball Joints last May 2019. Only real work that's been done on the front end recently.

thoughts?

You should consider going under the Jeep with the Parking brake on and do a visual to see if there is anything obviously wrong.
The sound you are talking about could be a driveshaft U joint or loose U joint cap strap retaining bolt....
There are many other suspension problems that can cause that noise....

Reactions: Chris
Is your front driveshaft hitting your exhaust?
Would that make sense if it's only doing it when taking off from a start?

BTW, I do plan on hopping underneath it ASAP..... Still working full time and 2 kids doing "distance learning" is really cramping my Jeep style.

Possible. We just did some work on the rear exhaust (replaced from just after the catalytic converter back)
I loosened mine to do my rear main seal last week and had to readjust my exhaust after I put it back together because the exhaust was hitting the yoke on the front driveshaft.

Reactions: Cole
Would that make sense if it's only doing it when taking off from a start?

BTW, I do plan on hopping underneath it ASAP..... Still working full time and 2 kids doing "distance learning" is really cramping my Jeep style.
Mine was doing it on left turns. It was all about where the suspension was at. So if it’s lifting on acceleration maybe. Look for knicks in the exhaust.

Checked. Front driveshaft is for sure not hitting the exhaust, or anything for that matter.

Any other guesses? Everything seems pretty stable under there.

After all the easy stuff has been checked then you start to head down a rabbit hole of possible causes. Clutch pilot bearing, trans input shaft bearing, etc. Be sure to go back to the beginning and recheck everything again before looking at the unlikely but possible but un-probable.

Honest to God I cannot remember...... I sold this Jeep in August and bought a JK - But for the life of me I can't remember what the issue was........... If I remember I'll get back to you. Now it's driving me crazy.

Side note - April of 2020 seems like about 6 years ago.

Honest to God I cannot remember...... I sold this Jeep in August and bought a JK - But for the life of me I can't remember what the issue was........... If I remember I'll get back to you. Now it's driving me crazy.

Side note - April of 2020 seems like about 6 years ago.
Lol that that's understandable. Was it anything very bad and did you fix it?

No it wasn't anything huge - since I don't remember it, couldn't have hit the pocketbook to hard. I'll have to go back and see if I can figure it out - if I do I'll let you know!

No it wasn't anything huge - since I don't remember it, couldn't have hit the pocketbook to hard. I'll have to go back and see if I can figure it out - if I do I'll let you
Sounds good. My Jeep has been making a sound that sounds like its directly under the driver area and or the clutch area. Idk. Concerns me a little but everything feels fine when driving.