Krampus TJ - Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves

KrampusTJ

Fellow Inmates,

This is a simple chronical of my build of Krampus, the folklore creature that beats misbehavers into being good, and I expect this Jeep to constantly misbehave. I began the search for another CJ7 to use on some property rather than a side by side but happened into this Jeep. Mind you, the purchase of this thing had nothing to do with the four craft beers in my system and hanging out with my buddy in his hot rod shop. The TJ rolled off the truck with some of his other cars as part of an auction deal, he threw me the keys and said “There’s you new Heep. Get it out of here.” I swallowed my beer, fired it up, drove it a little around a field, it felt like a small skiff wallowing about at sea but she ran, turned and stopped. I may have followed with another beer and maybe another, paid the man a meager fee, threw it on the car hauler and took it home. My wife greeted me outside, smiled, shook her head and said “Do what you want my love, but first you have to put those 35’s on my Gladiator.” Well, that sounded like a good deal to me.

I knew next to nothing about the TJ other than it had a long arm kit, some type of different rear axle assembly that was trussed, I6 and a manual trans, buttons and switches all over the place and the interior looked as if a family of wildebeest were dwelling in it…and it sort of smelled like it too. My initial plan is to replace the axle seals, figure out why one of the shocks isn't attached, fix anything that leaks…maybe, do a full refresh on the ignition and cooling systems, change all the fluids, and get it street legal enough to put plates on it. Its job will be around the property as a workhorse, an occasional trip to an off-road park or topless ride through the country. My problem is, amongst many, I have to have my vehicles in solid mechanical shape and this dude is going to need some work. I always wanted a trail dog and something that if you accidently shoot with a 22 whilst chasing varmints, well that isn't all that big of a deal.

Here is the heep on its way home.

TJ5.jpg

TJ6.jpg

Thanks to several of the fellers on this site, we identified the rear end as a Ford 8.8 and during the process other things were pointed out that "needed attention".

TJ8.jpg

I yanked the hard top off and attempted to install the badly worn frameless soft top provided with the Jeep. To say it was tight would be an understatement. More like size small spandex pants on your buddy's mother in law that may or may not belong in them, depending on your preferences. I smiled with broken fingernails when finally getting the final zipper to start and was rewarded with failure of the seams in several spots with a popping sound. After uttering some choice vernacular, I ripped and cut the side and rear panels, went to work with my pocket knife and cobble together a makeshift bikini top. Perfect.

TJ4.jpg

Last edited:
You might want to block out the license plate in the last pic.
Congrats, I feel like you'll be good replacing the seals, getting the shock attached, and replace all the fluids and enjoy.

It's the little things, right? Last weekend I was able to spend a little time with Krampus and that started with a cleaning and wash. I ripped out all the mats and pieces of carpet to discover the tub was completely bed-lined, bonus! I pulled the drain plugs and washed out the 1/4" of silt and mud that was covering the floors. So, I take it the Jeep has taken on some mud holes in its life...I wonder how many inches of water have been inside the cab, lol.

TJ13.jpg

I then took inventory of what was needed to get it inspected and back on the road: front left turn signal, brake lights, emergency brake, check engine light, and horn. The plan is now to fix these plus the axle seals, oil pressure gauge, add a wheel stud or two that are missing and replace the rear shocks missing top bushings. I hope that this will allow me to get license plates.

I have trust issues with wiring so I started at the rear and pulled out the CB wiring I am not going to use (going GMRS) and any other suspect wire that appeared to go to nowhere. That lead me to the dash were I pulled the CB, radio and found a rat's nest of bare wires back there...yikes. There was some interesting brackets of broken wood and all kinds of switches that either did not go anywhere or had wires cut off, so I removed most of that wiring. I am going to track each wire down at some point. There were splices on top of splices on wires...hence my trust issues. It was then I tried the HVAC and promptly broke the knob off, but nothing appeared to work anyway. I will probably try and get the heater working but the fan will not come on...meh...I might fix that, but might not...dress warm I guess. My adventure motorcycles didn't come with A/C or heat, haha.

TJ11.jpg

After a trip to the parts store and a few things on Amazon, I spent we spent more time together. The Jeep was from an auction so no telling how long it had been sitting, but I did find an license registration from Alabama in 2019 tucked away, so that isn't too bad. I pulled the oil drain plug, it was magnetic and clean of shavings, drained the oil and pulled the filter. I was happy with the oil condition and total lack of metal powder or any bad signs. Krampus got a fresh 6 quarts of high mileage oil and filter. About 4 1/2 quarts came out but I am not seeing any leaks and he does not smoke. The fuel tank was almost empty and I think my buddy had put a few gallons in the last few months, so I added a double shot of Lucas additive and 6 fresh gallons of regular. Krampus fired right up and purred like a kitten, nice and smooth perfect idle, so I let him run for about half an hour to test if the thermostat was opening and if he had cooling issues. He maintained between 190-200 degrees and seemed happy...another bonus. I am going to replace all the coolant hoses, do a flush and new fluid, but it felt good to know Krampus was happy as it was.

Everything that holds a liquid was pretty much empty so I went about adding brake and power steering fluids, all good, no leaks and fluid looked acceptable. I filled the radiator overflow to the mark and added washer fluid to the reservoir only to watch it promptly drain onto the floor. A couple of 10mm screws and I pulled the tank (only because there was only 2 screws left, haha). I had already picked up a new spray nozzle and spare hose so found the old hose that was in pieces, tore it all out, cleaned up the quick connect wiring to the motor and she came to life. I ran the new line, installed the new nozzle and replace the missing and broken hood bumpers while I was up there. I full test and I had both a washer and functioning wipers, whoohoo...its the small victories.

TJ12.jpg

Next I replaced the front turn signals, which weren't turn signals but side markers converted into turn signals and they worked! During that work, I pulled the air filter for the snorkel and the inlet tube partially came apart. A few dozen feet of electrical tape and it was repaired, and pulled out some other wiring. You might notice the coils of wire hanging up there at the firewall...but that I a project for another day.

TJ10.jpg

After a trip to the parts store and a few things on Amazon, I spent we spent more time together. The Jeep was from an auction so no telling how long it had been sitting, but I did find an license registration from Alabama in 2019 tucked away, so that isn't too bad. I pulled the oil drain plug, it was magnetic and clean of shavings, drained the oil and pulled the filter. I was happy with the oil condition and total lack of metal powder or any bad signs. Krampus got a fresh 6 quarts of high mileage oil and filter. About 4 1/2 quarts came out but I am not seeing any leaks and he does not smoke. The fuel tank was almost empty and I think my buddy had put a few gallons in the last few months, so I added a double shot of Lucas additive and 6 fresh gallons of regular. Krampus fired right up and purred like a kitten, nice and smooth perfect idle, so I let him run for about half an hour to test if the thermostat was opening and if he had cooling issues. He maintained between 190-200 degrees and seemed happy...another bonus. I am going to replace all the coolant hoses, do a flush and new fluid, but it felt good to know Krampus was happy as it was.

Everything that holds a liquid was pretty much empty so I went about adding brake and power steering fluids, all good, no leaks and fluid looked acceptable. I filled the radiator overflow to the mark and added washer fluid to the reservoir only to watch it promptly drain onto the floor. A couple of 10mm screws and I pulled the tank (only because there was only 2 screws left, haha). I had already picked up a new spray nozzle and spare hose so found the old hose that was in pieces, tore it all out, cleaned up the quick connect wiring to the motor and she came to life. I ran the new line, installed the new nozzle and replace the missing and broken hood bumpers while I was up there. I full test and I had both a washer and functioning wipers, whoohoo...its the small victories.

View attachment 407354

Next I replaced the front turn signals, which weren't turn signals but side markers converted into turn signals and they worked! During that work, I pulled the air filter for the snorkel and the inlet tube partially came apart. A few dozen feet of electrical tape and it was repaired, and pulled out some other wiring. You might notice the coils of wire hanging up there at the firewall...but that I a project for another day.

View attachment 407358

I like the side marker light idea there. Is that home brew or did you find a kit to mount them?

I like the side marker light idea there. Is that home brew or did you find a kit to mount them?

I cannot take credit for that. One was broken and the other did not work and as I was ordering new covers, I noticed the stock signals were not that shape. After looking at some pics of TJ's, I realized they were side markers so ordered those housings and new bulbs. I think it was already part of the aftermarket fender flairs it came with.

Despite the big logo on the hood it came with, those do not look like Fishbone flairs, and I have not identified them yet.

Krampus went on his maiden voyage around my neighborhood and of course the rear shocks were banging around, but he did shift, turn and stop. The clutch feels good but there is a little slack in the driveline so I'll be checking over u-joints and such. I quickly noticed the tires are really, really bad. They look bad, but they roll down the street like I am driving on road bumps.

That brings me to a brief tire discussion. I was thinking about going with 36" Swamper TSL or 35" SSR radials on this build...that is until I priced them. What the heck happened with Interco? TSL's used to be somewhat affordable a decade ago, but now they are $500-$600 a tire...nope. I ran 35x12.5 Patagonia MT's on my JKU and liked them so probably with go with those or maybe the new BFG KM3. I have the KM2's on my Gladiator and in the wet, on pavement they are pretty bad. They do really good in the dirt and snow aired down, but overall I am not impressed. The Pats do well in any condition. I wonder if the KM3 is a big improvement, but hard to justify the $70 a tire difference in price.

35x12.5r15
Milestar Pat MT: $250
BFG KM3: $320

There isn't much exciting to write about this weekend. I replaced all the coolant hoses, flushed the system and added new fluid. I also got the emergency brake working. It has been a few years since I stood at the counter of a parts store, but it seems like the average intelligence of the employees is not what it used to be. After 15 minutes of them trying to figure out how to look up the radiator hoses, I turned the touch screen to myself and did it for them. The two guys about vapor locked when I asked them to include the correct size hose clamps. I had to order three of the hoses and when I arrived the next day to pick them up, all four employees looked around with blank stairs of incomprehension. 10 minutes later one of them had figured out to look on a shelf of orders to find them. The snorkel system used a different filter than the factory one and apparently this was just too much for those guys to grasp, so I spent time to pull filters out of boxes and find one that fit. Bingo.

Next, I checked all the fuses and tracked down some wires that went to nowhere and cleaned up more wiring. I discovered the under hood air compressor was not hooked up so rather than fighting that, I removed it and all its wiring and cleaned up those connections through the firewall. There were no lines running to the differentials so no ARB lockers unfortunately. That, and the lines were spliced and frayed in places so I removed all of it. I may reinstall it after testing it out later, but not dealing with exposed hot wires and such at this time.

During this, I tracked two wires from a relay on the fender to inside the cab to a switch. The power wire for it had a 10 amp fuse but was not hooked to the battery, just dangling in the fender well. There were two wires from the relay to a grommet in the top of the front differential housing. I am wondering if this is for a front electric locker? I pulled the power wire back to the relay and secured it all. A project for another day, but at least no frayed or spliced wires to worry about.

I was able to get the horn to make noise by connecting it directly to the battery but not with the steering wheel button. I'll hunt that down for a while or maybe wire to one of the unused switches in the dash to get it to work for inspection time. Once that is done and I figure out why I have no brake lights, Krampus might be ready for inspection other than the check engine light I have yet to pull the codes on.

After looking at over a dozen wheel seals for a Ford 8.8 of different types and sizes and not knowing what version was installed in the Jeep, I decided I would take it to my Jeep guy for that task and to replace the rear shocks. If it gets nasty in the rear end, I don't want to get caught up in that and know my limits of setting one up so to speak. The two bolts for the shock dog-bone are rusted pretty good felt like they were going to snap off, so I didn't get the cheater after them. If they break off like I read about happening often, It will not be fun, I didn't want to deal with that...just didn't. I'll drop Krampus off to get my guy to knock those things out rather than stringing an elegant chain of comments for the neighbor kids to learn from.

The Krampus project had to go on hold for a month or two so that I could concentrate on my wife's Gladiator. The JT got a 2.5" level, 35" KO2's on Black Rhino wheels, a sunrider soft top and a front camera tied into the factory screen via a Tazer. Other than a bed rack and maybe 4.88s, the JT is pretty much done for now.

As I was lining out all the JT's parts and getting them ordered, I asked my wife what budget was in her mind for Krampus. In other words, how much could I spend on him before she started to express concern, lol. In my mind, I was hoping for $2k-$3k and she said she expected me to spend $10k on it. Whoohoo! Now to find and extra $10k.

Reactions: Mike_H and Rickyd
The Krampus project had to go on hold for a month or two so that I could concentrate on my wife's Gladiator. The JT got a 2.5" level, 35" KO2's on Black Rhino wheels, a sunrider soft top and a front camera tied into the factory screen via a Tazer. Other than a bed rack and maybe 4.88s, the JT is pretty much done for now.

As I was lining out all the JT's parts and getting them ordered, I asked my wife what budget was in her mind for Krampus. In other words, how much could I spend on him before she started to express concern, lol. In my mind, I was hoping for $2k-$3k and she said she expected me to spend $10k on it. Whoohoo! Now to find and extra $10k.

Time to get stoopid!