Colorado Krew Hangout

I wish I would have taken that first pic a little sooner. It was cool to come over Wilkerson Pass and and see the entire prairie covered in sunshine with an oniums black wall at Hartsel. As always a great time with great people!

Safety video...
It's not fun to post a failed attempt but check the rock that gets ejected from my rear passenger tire at 35 sec. Be careful where you stand and watch.. Thank you for the videos Tyler!

I wish I would have taken that first pic a little sooner. It was cool to come over Wilkerson Pass and and see the entire prairie covered in sunshine with an oniums black wall at Hartsel. As always a great time with great people!

Safety video...
It's not fun to post a failed attempt but check the rock that gets ejected from my rear passenger tire at 35 sec. Be careful where you stand and watch.. Thank you for the videos Tyler!

The rock being tossed back was pretty wild. Not like you were going to fast but that thing certainly shot out of there!

Safety video...

I need to get better at taking pictures. Here’s a couple on the way out to the trail! The day didn’t start out so hot but it ended up being a fun fun day!

57A6C202-94FB-479C-A8D7-14DE3B26F225.jpeg

4FF72153-1168-4629-B039-3D2BF6B1F913.jpeg

question for the denver locals,

what do they treat the roads without here? Intake I-70 to work everyday and today my jeep is covered in the remnants of what the had on the ground?
salt? brine?

tried to respond yesterday, wouldn’t go thru,

thanks for the help. as many places my jeep has been. i don’t want it rusting now. the under coating is flaking off big time these days

tried to respond yesterday, wouldn’t go thru,

thanks for the help. as many places my jeep has been. i don’t want it rusting now. the under coating is flaking off big time these days

As Claytone said, its important to wash it off periodically. But otherwise we don't see the rust issues that the eastern states have. The mag chloride will rust bare metal, but if you have paint in good shape it's generally pretty good at holding off rust

Reactions: MikeE024 and Igoo65
question for the denver locals,

what do they treat the roads without here? Intake I-70 to work everyday and today my jeep is covered in the remnants of what the had on the ground?
salt? brine?

Unfortunately CDOT is using both mag chloride and salt brine. Many local jurisdictions are using rock salt, mag chloride, and salt brine. Sand is not used as commonly as it used to be (thank the EPA) so at least your windshield and paint is a little safer. Unfortunately all the other components of your vehicle get trashed from all angles (aluminum by mag and steel by salt). Gone are the days of vehicles in Colorado being considered "dry" or rust free.

Sorry to hear about your father!

Reactions: NDSpeed
Unfortunately CDOT is using both mag chloride and salt brine. Many local jurisdictions are using rock salt, mag chloride, and salt brine. Sand is not used as commonly as it used to be (thank the EPA) so at least your windshield and paint is a little safer. Unfortunately all the other components of your vehicle get trashed from all angles (aluminum by mag and steel by salt). Gone are the days of vehicles in Colorado being considered "dry" or rust free.

Sorry to hear about your father!

Supposedly it has corrosion inhibitors in it and is only used on the freeways.

https://www.codot.gov/news/2017-new...strategy-before-snowfall-in-denver-metro-area

Them there rear wheel drive trucks that have never hauled a damn thing aren't good in the snow.

We have a guy like that at work. He moved here from Texas with a new 2wd truck he can't afford. But he can't sell it here without going under water on the remaining loan.

• USA Proud
Reactions: tworley and rasband
Dont forget Florida. I see just as many oranges on license plates as the black and white lonestar.

Hello to my Colorado brothers (and sisters), I'm a newb to the forum and TJs but not to wheeling.I just picked up a 06 TJ Rubicon with the 6spd manual. It has 33s and I am considering re gearing with 4.56 0r even 4.88, but the real question is I am looking for shop recommendations for the west slope. I know most of you are front rangers, but I live in Cedaredge and im a solid 5 hours to the front range. I talked to Rockworx in Montrose and they seem to have a good rep, but they quoted me $2000 with parts, I think they said they use Yukon parts. Is that the going rate these days. I do have family in the Denver area that I could stay with if need be so going there isn't out of the question. Any who thanks for any info and I am really looking forward to spring. Getting the new rig and having snow on the ground is a huge tease.

Last edited: