Kroil vs wheel spacers

Ahoragi

TJ Addict
Today I was swapping tires from XJ to TJ to diagnose a wobble (it was the tires). My wheel spacers were on there for a few years and corroded to the hubs/drums pretty good. It took quite a beating with a 2 lb hammer and chisel to pry off the fronts and I was not looking forward to the rears. I decided to bring my trusty Kroil outside and let it do the battle for me. I sprayed around the edge of the spacer and along the inside hole. A few minutes later and they came off with just a tap of a 2lb hammer. The very last bit of kroil in my 8 year old can did it's job. Now I gotta order more.

I know this is such an amazing story (not) but I've used kroil for years now and it has never failed to loosen up whatever it was sprayed on. It's such an amazing product and one that every jeeper should have on hand.

Try it, you'll like it!

Many moons ago I took care of an old building that used cast iron heating registers with a hot water boiler. There was always one or two apartments that wouldn't get heat at the beginning of the season due to an airlock. The registers were equipped with bleeder valves, but good luck getting them open. Before Kroil, the only way I could free these stuck bleeder valveswas to remove the valve and soak it for hours in liquid wrench that was heated in a small can on a hot plate. (Please don't call OSHA)! Using Kroil I could always free the bleeder screw without removing it. The tenants never complained about the smell, but maybe the fact that they now had heat had something to do with it.

Seriously I never found the smell to be a problem.
Kroil can be Michigan mechanic's best friend!

Reactions: UpperMI and Chris
How does it stack up against PB Blaster? Does it smell as bad?
Kroil is to PB Blaster what a Supercharged 4.0 is to a worn out 2.5 4 banger. There is no comparison and basically if it can be broken loose with a spray penetrant, Kroil will do it. If Kroil doesn't do it, nothing else will. That and I wouldn't trade 2 cases of PB for one can of Kroil. WD-40 maybe because it at least is a good solvent for cleaning stuff, but that's about it.

Reactions: Chris
50/50 mix of acetone and trans fluid is probably the most effective penetrating applicant.
I've tried it. The problem with it is the mix doesn't stay mixed and the acetone evaporates out of it because it never becomes a solution. Probably a byproduct of actually putting the two into a clear bottle to see what happens. When I pick up a penetrant, I'm trying to solve a problem and I don't have time to mess with it to make sure it is actually 50/50 still and will work as it should.

That and often I am using the small tube to get the penetrant back into an area I can't pour something into at some horizontal distance away from where I am able to get the can. I need it to spray and I'm not buying a pressurized can to squirt something I have to mix up each time I want to use it. Not to mention if it won't stay mixed in the can, how is it staying mixed to get to the problem?

Very true. I've seen how fast acetone evaporates when I apply it on parts I'm prepping (before painting them).

As I work thru my project TJ reserection, one thing that I have used quiet a bit of is penetrating oils. I don't start any step without several days of pretreatment of fasteners. Most of the aerosols are marginally effective. I have ball jars with ATF/acetone mix. It works but stinks, is fussy (does not like to stay in suspension) and requires eye droppers to apply. I finally found the Kroil aerosol at a local speciality fastener shop. I like this stuff. I told my son we should name her "Kroil".

Reactions: Pops and Chris
Kroil is awesome stuff, but can be a little hard to find locally. I have been using Seafoam Deep Creep lately. It costs more than PB Blaster, but works way better.

When I mix up a small batch of acetone/atf, I use one of the old fashioned metal oil pump can applicators. I use as a last resort, but has been effective when needed.

Reactions: derekmac and Chris
Kroil is awesome stuff, but can be a little hard to find locally. I have been using Seafoam Deep Creep lately. It costs more than PB Blaster, but works way better.

When I mix up a small batch of acetone/atf, I use one of the old fashioned metal oil pump can applicators. I use as a last resort, but has been effective when needed.
I've been using Deep Creep for a bit now, and am very happy with how it's been working.

Reactions: Pops
I'm in the process of rebuilding my xj that's be hammered with salt every winter. Everything is rusted to hell. Kroil is making it seem like I am working on a rust-free vehicle.

Reactions: Pops