Larger tires on a stock lift?

Check out Norrthridges site. I have been dealing with them for almost 10 years. Very knowledgeable, well priced, and customer service is fantastic. Like overnighting a critical part to Moab and NOT robbing you blind. No I don't work for them.;)

Check out Norrthridges site. I have been dealing with them for almost 10 years. Very knowledgeable, well priced, and customer service is fantastic. Like overnighting a critical part to Moab and NOT robbing you blind. No I don't work for them.;)

I'll check them out for sure. I like when people are local cause it's faster shipping. And I like fast shipping, that's why I have Amazon Prime!

The question ultimately comes down to: what do I need next?

I'll check them out for sure. I like when people are local cause it's faster shipping. And I like fast shipping, that's why I have Amazon Prime!

The question ultimately comes down to: what do I need next?
Absolutely! We all know this just never ends! Thank God!

I told my wife the other day that I've had my wrangler for longer than I've owned any other vehicle. She told me, "That's because there's so many things to do to it that you never have an end in sight. With all your other vehicles there isn't much to do to them so you're done with them 6 months after purchasing them."

It's funny because that's actually true. I'll buy something, make it the way I want it and then get tired of owning it because there's nothing left to do to it, so then I sell it.

With the TJ there's never an end in sight, ever. So maybe that's a good thing, it keeps me busy so that I don't ever get bored.

And I like fast shipping, that's why I have Amazon Prime!
I dunno how they do it but I received an order from Amazon the next day using standard shipping, and I could swear the order was made after I got home from work after 5pm. I dunno how they pull that kind of stuff off but I'm a huge fan of Amazon for reasons like that.

I dunno how they do it but I received an order from Amazon the next day using standard shipping, and I could swear the order was made after I got home from work after 5pm. I dunno how they pull that kind of stuff off but I'm a huge fan of Amazon for reasons like that.

Same here, that's happened to me a few times. It's all about logistics with Amazon. I've ordered things 2 day delivery with Prime and sometimes it will actually get here the next day. It's shocking how fast it is.

Can't wait to see what happens when they start doing the same day drone delivery!

I've never driven one with 3.07 gears. Is it really bad?

I was floored when I started driving it. Because I'm running 33s on my Rubicon with 4.10s I'm used to making liberal use of the overdrive button to disable it all but when I'm >60 mph on the highway. The velocity per RPM with 30s and 3.07s seem almost exactly the same. The only reason I don't reach for the overdrive button quite as frequently is the tires don't weigh nearly the same so it's not trying to get as much mass rolling.

I was floored when I started driving it. Because I'm running 33s on my Rubicon with 4.10s I'm used to making liberal use of the overdrive button to disable it all but when I'm >60 mph on the highway. The velocity per RPM with 30s and 3.07s seem almost exactly the same. The only reason I don't reach for the overdrive button quite as frequently is the tires don't weigh nearly the same so it's not trying to get as much mass rolling.

Interesting! My Rubicon has 33" tires but I replaced the 4.10 gears with 4.88 gears. I don't need to disable the overdrive as often with the 4.88 gears, but I still turn it off in town.

I must say that with the 33" tires my 4.88 gears feel absolutely perfect for in town and the highway.

Interesting! My Rubicon has 33" tires but I replaced the 4.10 gears with 4.88 gears. I don't need to disable the overdrive as often with the 4.88 gears, but I still turn it off in town.

I must say that with the 33" tires my 4.88 gears feel absolutely perfect for in town and the highway.

Regearing is definitely on my short list for my Rubicon but I want a tummy tuck first. Unfortunately if my daughter wants larger tires I now know she's going to be needing the regear first. Fortunately that's going to be on her dime. :p

Nothing like hijacking a thread . . . ;-)

Reactions: Chris
FYI, here is stock suspension on 32" tires:

View attachment 2323
Hello Chris, I am new to this scene but I have a 98 TJ 4.0 automatic and I am also looking to buy 33x12.5x15 tires. as far as I can tell I have a stock suspension, would back spacing on the rims help with the rubbing while turning? I know bumps will be a problem but a lift kit is still going to be a while.

Hello Chris, I am new to this scene but I have a 98 TJ 4.0 automatic and I am also looking to buy 33x12.5x15 tires. as far as I can tell I have a stock suspension, would back spacing on the rims help with the rubbing while turning? I know bumps will be a problem but a lift kit is still going to be a while.

Yes, the backspacing will help with rubbing on turning for sure.

Be careful though with 33" tires on stock suspension. You're going to have to really watch it over any bumps!

Yes, the backspacing will help with rubbing on turning for sure.

Be careful though with 33" tires on stock suspension. You're going to have to really watch it over any bumps!
I was think a 1.5 max body lift just for the mean time. I know these body lifts are frowned upon but I think this would be the max body lift you would want to do.

I drove an '87 with 3.07s and 33s for 10 years. Depends on your use. I loved 4LO thru the 3.07s on forestry roads and trails. It ran like a sports car. On the highway, I never used overdrive but 1st thru 4th were no issue. It delivered 25mpg driving from Canada to Denver CO. Seldom under 70mph. No idea if that was the super efficient 4.2L or the gearing but my TJR on the same trip can't hit 20mpg.... even if I try to stay well under 70mph.

Lots of guys cry about the 3.07s but really, you just need to adjust your driving style. The only place 3.07s are truly bad is crawling... Be it over rocks, logs, curbs. Anywhere you can do at least 10mph... 3.07s are fine. I started driving in the 1970s... back then the 3.07 would have been a low ratio. Common ratios were 2.73, 2.56, 2.41. Try those thru a 3 speed.

I drove an '87 with 3.07s and 33s for 10 years. Depends on your use. I loved 4LO thru the 3.07s on forestry roads and trails. It ran like a sports car. On the highway, I never used overdrive but 1st thru 4th were no issue. It delivered 25mpg driving from Canada to Denver CO. Seldom under 70mph. No idea if that was the super efficient 4.2L or the gearing but my TJR on the same trip can't hit 20mpg.... even if I try to stay well under 70mph.

Lots of guys cry about the 3.07s but really, you just need to adjust your driving style. The only place 3.07s are truly bad is crawling... Be it over rocks, logs, curbs. Anywhere you can do at least 10mph... 3.07s are fine. I started driving in the 1970s... back then the 3.07 would have been a low ratio. Common ratios were 2.73, 2.56, 2.41. Try those thru a 3 speed.

Interesting. I have been wheeling since the early 60s and though 3.07 sucked(suck) but I may go back to something that high with my current set up. But then each to their own.

That tan top looks awesome on black. Mine is all black, Might try painting the top... it could use a coat of paint. I think we have the same rims !

Heres mine on 33s with the stock suspension and an AEV HighLine.

DSC_0170.jpg

FYI, here is stock suspension on 32" tires:

View attachment 2323

I was crawling over some rocks this morning with the tack at 3k. The speedo had not yet moved. ;)

Then at 60 was turning a shade under 2k. Just depends on what you want.
With a 4.0 and the 6 speed and a 231OR 315/75/16 and 4:88s it was ok at freeway speed and really good in the rocks. For forest roads I use my Mazda.
Now I have much more HP and torque. The 4:88s are too low for crawling, and damn sure too low for highway. So maybe 3:73 but maybe not. Fun to burn all four from the stop sign.
Too each their own. There is no best!

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris