Latest YouTube hole: Matt's Towing & Recovery

I wouldn’t trust that guy to recover my rig. Idiot if you ask me.

Reactions: Thunderhead
Why do you say that? I know barely more than zero about it all so I’m curious

I've been watching and commenting on his vids for a few weeks now, I kinda like his style, no winch and just a few straps but plenty of XP and backup, however, I don't like using a tow ball as a recovery point, no, not even if your just doing a light tug. You just don't know what that "Dude Boom" muppets been doing with his tow ball

That yote wasn't very stuck, he could easily have got out of that situation, lots of rock around to throw under the tires to raise it up and out.

:LOL:JMT I wouldn't call a guy who made his own lil career as a youtuber getting to go offroad every day and help others while we do real work an idiot, it makes you seem jealous and or bitter...

I actually watched that whole video...So you wouldn't trust him to help you out IF you where in this situation, stuck in the desert like this man with the 4runner, not knowing who would drive by you if anyone at all, with a broken arm, and your child and yourself in the heat??? Looks like dad wen't a little to far exploring, an honest mistake...He called that guy for a reason, he was worried about his childs safety bottom line, and had a broken arm it looks like.

SMH some people...

Backing up, leaving slack and flooring it to jerk the other vehicle is every kind of wrong.

His tow hooks were dangerous. At least he hooked them on the right way.

His pulling from the hitch was dangerous. They’re not rated for those forces.

His spotting in the sand...🤣

Jealous? Bitter? Getting to go out like that every day had nothing to do with my comments. Just thinking of safety for all involved. He might think about getting a winch so he can accomplish controlled recoveries that are safe.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wombat
I actually watched that whole video...So you wouldn't trust him to help you out IF you where in this situation, stuck in the desert like this man with the 4runner, not knowing who would drive by you if anyone at all, with a broken arm, and your child and yourself in the heat??? Looks like dad wen't a little to far exploring, an honest mistake...He called that guy for a reason, he was worried about his childs safety bottom line, and had a broken arm it looks like.

SMH some people...
His methods were dangerous.

The dad was an idiot for wheelin out there with a broken arm. Did he ever think about what he would do if he had a flat tire?

His methods were dangerous.

The dad was an idiot for wheelin out there with a broken arm. Did he ever think about what he would do if he had a flat tire?

I don't know, I am not either of the men in the video... The only thing I do know, is that you and I would both have done things differently if either of us where in either of those men's shoes... Both in that video could be somewhat new to recovery/offroading, I don't know everything right off the bat when I learn a hobby, you learn the hard way from mistakes or honest advice... People make mistakes man nobody is perfect just chill out is all... I wasn't calling you bitter or jealous I was just saying how people could perceive your attitude... Have a good day. :)

Reactions: JMT
Backing up, leaving slack and flooring it to jerk the other vehicle is every kind of wrong.
His tow hooks were dangerous. At least he hooked them on the right way.
His pulling from the hitch was dangerous. They’re not rated for those forces.
Yes, yes and yes! And WTF is that shackel doing part the way along old mate's kinetic rope? I haven't used a k-rope but lookie here, shit happens...

It's the hardware attached to the strap that does damage so thanks JMT, if it makes one person question what may not be a good idea than it's well worth speaking out.

While we're on the subject of recovery, here's a hot tip, never pull in reverse! I see experienced people doing it and I cringe. Your ring & pinions are designed to resist torque applied in forward motion but the downside - and there is always a downside - is they do not like forces in reverse direction.

Reactions: JMT
I keep hearing people talk about YouTube rabbit holes. I’m glad I don’t watch YouTube 🤪

This is the part where we ask why you don’t watch YouTube.

This is the part where we ask why you don’t watch YouTube.

I spend my free time playing guitar / mandolin ;)

Of course I will watch an occasional YouTube video on how-to fix something, I just make sure not to get sucked into anything else, haha.

I spend my free time playing guitar / mandolin ;)

Of course I will watch an occasional YouTube video on how-to fix something, I just make sure not to get sucked into anything else, haha.
Apparently your the only one. The other 28 billion of us appear to have been on YT a little. Lol. Pretty staggering!

• Wow
Reactions: Chris