Latest YouTube hole: Matt's Towing & Recovery

This was the guy that got the Silverado off of Boulder Mountain in Utah that was stuck there for a season...with a winch. He has detachable mounts and uses a winch when he needs it.

I'd trust him. I've seen a handful of his videos.

Reactions: J R
Backing up, leaving slack and flooring it to jerk the other vehicle is every kind of wrong.

His tow hooks were dangerous. At least he hooked them on the right way.

His pulling from the hitch was dangerous. They’re not rated for those forces.
He might think about getting a winch so he can accomplish controlled recoveries that are safe.
He runs a very large towing company down in S UT. The Cherokee is a purpose built tow rig to pull the idiots that think they are invulnerable from where they shouldn't be. Both ends of his XJ are equipped with receivers and electrical connections so he can use his winch from either end.

Reactions: ejay
Interesting, how do you setup bevel gears to operate under high torque in reverse direction?
That I cant say, I dont really know a whole lot about how that stuff works yet. And I can't remember his explanation. I searched for that particular vid for a bit but didnt find it again.

If I remember right, it had something to do with the high pinion axle he's running in the front but again I dont really know what I'm talking about.🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Wombat
I'd tend to give him the benefit of the doubt on reverse pulls. You're either setup to do it or you're going to break something expensive real fast.

Reactions: Wombat
high pinion axle he's running in the front
Not sure what his running but the high pinion is the same only running in reverse with the pinion at the top of the ring. t's favored for reducing the front drive shaft angle and clearance.

Ring and pinion gears sets are designed and setup to accept high force in one direction, in reverse may work but we should avoided doing it unless we have to, just saying take it easy if your forced to recover in reverse.

Last edited:
Reactions: TJ Starting
Don't believe all the click bait you see about tow ball failures. Look closely... if you see a tow ball failure on an internet video it is usually being done with a chain or tow strap (not Snatch Strap or Kinetic Rope). Typically the failures are at welds or hitch structure on homemade or second rate equipment. Per SAE standards a Class 3 hitch and ball are tested to 15,000 lb longitudinal tension. Ronny Dahl took 8 full throttle accelerations on a 30' Tow Strap to break a ball he had sawed the shank half way through and had the towed vehicle strapped to a tree. It deformed the hitch well prior to failing the cut ball. The shear rating on a SAE Class 3 ball shank is over 46,000 lbs. Destruction testing has been done on a Class 3 hitch (available online) and the hitch welds and metal failed at 24,500 lbs, so in this test the hitch will fail well before the 46,000 shear rating of the ball shank. All the information I shared is publically available. I will share a link to SAE Hitch standards.

I wouldn't recommend doing a "Snatch" (rolling pull) with a tow strap or chain as the Impact Force using a tow strap or chain that has no stretch can theoretically exceed shear ratings on a high speed roll out with a heavy towing vehicle and severely stuck towed vehicle (or one tied to a big tree, LOL). The Impact Force generated by a Snatch Strap with 20% stretch or a Kinetic Rope with 30% stretch will not create that level of Impact Force because forces generated are spread over distance and time as the stretch occurs.

https://docplayer.net/30029960-Sae-j-sae-j684.html

Reactions: TJ Starting
Matt's Recovery is just fun to watch, occasionally. I will be going to Utah, on way to Yellowstone 9/20/21 and his videos will keep me from going into that powder sand with my Jeep. Actually, I called and spoke with Matt about a month ago. Real nice guy. I told him thanks for the videos about the sand.