Leaf Peeping in North Carolina

andy29847

TJ Enthusiast
Spending the week near Linville Gorge, NC. We be wherling!

_OI000018.JPG

20191030_071035.jpg

_OI000010.JPG

_OI000003.JPG

_OI000007.JPG

Great pictures of my homeland. I hope to talk my Coloradoan wife into a house in the Brevard area, but she isn't keen on mountains east of the Rockies.

Nice ..... what are you hunting with your dogs?

The Blue Tick Hound is a bear hinter. It's not mine. There were lots of Bear hunters in the woods and I took this picture of one we passed on the road. Blue Ticks are used for Coonhunting where I live (South Carolina).

FB_IMG_1572794697054.jpg

The puppy that I'm holdimg in the Jeep is unfortunately not mine either. This dog is a Kelpie / Border Collie mix and will be expected to esrn it's keep as a cow dog (in Texas).

My dog (not pictured above) is a Terrier mix. She hunts Moles and Squirrels with limited success. She is not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

PA130099.JPG

mighty hunter.jpg

P1000814.JPG

IMG_5200.jpg

Reactions: TJ Starting
The Blue Tick Hound is a bear hinter. It's not mine. There were lots of Bear hunters in the woods and I took this picture of one we passed on the road. Blue Ticks are used for Coonhunting where I live (South Carolina).

View attachment 123096

The puppy that I'm holdimg in the Jeep is unfortunately not mine either. This dog is a Kelpie / Border Collie mix and will be expected to esrn it's keep as a cow dog (in Texas).

My dog (not pictured above) is a Terrier mix. She hunts Moles and Squirrels with limited success. She is not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

View attachment 123106

View attachment 123107

View attachment 123108

View attachment 123109
A friend of mine use to run Blue tics on bears hear in California.
I use to run livestock dogs (McNabs & Blue healers) on pigs here in California. We can still run dogs on pigs here, but they made it illegal for bears. Now our bear pollution is really growing.

Reactions: andy29847
Bear hunting in Western North Carolina is a social event. Large camps out in the woods while hunting. The groups include men, women, and children. There will be several trucks with dogs riding around to try and cut sign. When they turn the dogs loose, they surround the area and wait for the dogs to run the bear by a shooter. After the bear hunt, the hunt the dogs. 🙂. All the dogs have radio collars. The bears are not very big - most less than 200 pounds. Over the years, I’ve seen a few on the road near 400 pounds. That’s a big bear for around here. Hog hunting is popular too. Russian Wild Boar were introduced in Eastern Tennessee in the 1800’s. You can still see some hogs big enough to be frightening because of the mixed blood.