Leak from a new Rally top

Karen Gould

Just had a 2nd Rally hard top put on my 2003 Wrangler, it leaks as bad as the 1st one did. Anyone have any ideas ? I have been trying g to get the installers to get Jerry at Rally to corporate but he is ignoring them & me. Thank you !!!
thank you for adding me 😊

You're not going to like my advice, but it would be to sell it and get an OE Mopar hard top.

These tops are known to have leak issues, as are all the aftermarket replacement hard tops.

I wish I could be of more help, but this is the best advice I can offer.

Used factory hard tops are easy to find.

You're not going to like my advice, but it would be to sell it and get an OE Mopar hard top.

These tops are known to have leak issues, as are all the aftermarket replacement hard tops.

Thank you, your right I don't like the answer. I doubt I can sell this top, I even bought the extreme extended warranty. I will be out over $2,500. I thank you for your honesty. I am on disability now I am stuck with a leaky new top, that's going to rot my Jeep out. I asked dealers & my Jeep is too old to get one from them. Thank you again for all your help & honesty !

Reactions: Chris

Is there anyone that makes a sliding or popout window for the hardtop? I would like to stick to OEM but that is my only issue is the side windows. My husky loves sticking her out when driving, but she'd be in the back a lot of the time in the Jeep.

Is there anyone that makes a sliding or popout window for the hardtop? I would like to stick to OEM but that is my only issue is the side windows. My husky loves sticking her out when driving, but she'd be in the back a lot of the time in the Jeep.

Not that I'm aware of, unless it's an aftermarket hard top. But nothing for the factory hard top.

Chris, I just got off the phone w/MOPAR They do not make a top for that year of Jeep. I guess I am stuck.....😣

Chris, I just got off the phone w/MOPAR They do not make a top for that year of Jeep. I guess I am stuck.....😣
No you are not stuck. Be more optimistic. There are tons of factory TJ hard tops in the used market. Craigslist and facebook are great places to keep eyes on for them.

Aftermarket tops are all trash. Their customer service is even worse.

Last edited:

Hi Karen - you are correct and the best way to find one is a used one on Craigslist or, if you are in Western PA you are about 1.5 hours away from Davey's Jeeps. They are a huge Jeep parts dealer, used parts, and they have a couple in stock. Check out the link and your local Craigslist.

Chris is correct, these aftermarket tops are not the best and really hard to prevent leaks. Used OEM is the best route.

https://daveysjeeps.com/parts/
Here is one for sale in Virginia, from a forum member:

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/tan-hardtop-emerald-green-full-doors.28441/

Last edited:
No you are not stuck. Be more optimistic. There are tons of factory TJ hard tops in the used market. Craigslist and facebook are great places to keep eyes on for them.

Aftermarket tops are all trash. Their customer service is even worse.

Noticed that you are overseas. A search for a factory TJ hardtop is gonna be a little tougher. But keep your eyes open.

We're you thinking Tarentum Italy? I assumed Western PA.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
Just had a 2nd Rally hard top put on my 2003 Wrangler, it leaks as bad as the 1st one did. Anyone have any ideas ? I have been trying g to get the installers to get Jerry at Rally to corporate but he is ignoring them & me. Thank you !!!
thank you for adding me 😊
Depending on the area of the top that is leaking, you might have some luck taking your top to a local vendor of camper shells. They might be willing and/or able to diagnose the leak and fix it if you're fortunate. If Rally is ignoring you, which sucks seeing as how you bought an extended warranty, it may be your best course of action, at least to get a top that doesn't leak, without forfeiting your entire purchase price.

Goes to show that all the advice to avoid aftermarket tops is certainly warranted. I hope your top can be warrante(ed).

Reactions: rasband
Where are the leaks? My Rally Top has a slight one between the windscreen frame and the door. A little foam and electrical tape and it’s usually gone. If it’s along the front window frame that should be sealable as well with those or a compound called “sugru” (it’s a self curing rubber).

you can probably use any gasket material to create them wherever you find leaks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Starrs
I mean why throw in the towel? Use any kind of sealant where the leak is coming from. It’s going to be trial and error, but I think I would try and seal the top before just up and selling and losing a ton of money. You have to know where the leak is coming from. Start there and see where that takes you.

I mean why throw in the towel? Use any kind of sealant where the leak is coming from. It’s going to be trial and error, but I think I would try and seal the top before just up and selling and losing a ton of money. You have to know where the leak is coming from. Start there and see where that takes you.

That's what I am trying to get at :) It's like having a random stall and selling the Jeep entirely.

Reactions: Starrs