Leaking coolant sometimes

Think i found the culprit, and its not the water pump. Finally was able to crawl under it after a short trip and found what looks like a slice on the lower radiator hose. I cleaned it up and took another short drive, but can not get it to leak again. Going to let her cool down then take another short trip as it seems to do it an the first short trip when its cold and gets to temp, but not once its at temp. Weird

IMG_20230208_092850203_MP.jpg

IMG_20230208_093132672.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Can you squeeze and manipulate the hose to get it to leak?

Definitely looks like it’s leaking. I’d replace any hose I found that looks like that.

Reactions: Chilidawg
Think i found the culprit, and its not the water pump. Finally was able to crawl under it after a short trip and found what looks like a slice on the lower radiator hose. I cleaned it up and took another short drive, but can not get it to leak again. Going to let her cool down then take another short trip as it seems to do it an the first short trip when its cold and gets to temp, but not once its at temp. Weird

View attachment 398878

View attachment 398880

That's a lot better than a bad water pump. Tape some paper towels around it and you will see if that's the leak.

It sure looks like you found the leak. I'm wondering if the right hose was installed there. It seems to be sticking out further than it should which apparently caused that slit.

It sure looks like you found the leak. I'm wondering if the right hose was installed there. It seems to be sticking out further than it should which apparently caused that slit.

I pulled the sticker off the hose and its a Dayco E72242, google search its an Advance auto and is the right hose per their website. Anyone have another hose that you have used that may be shorter? Looks like the only thing it could rub on is the bracket for the upper control arm?

It’s been my experience that auto store hoses are always a bit longer than required, just trim to fit. Your wallet is happy you didn’t shoot the parts cannon at the leak. A pressure test is an easy way to find a leak. I always run a dye in my coolant and engine oil for quick diagnosis as well.

It’s been my experience that auto store hoses are always a bit longer than required, just trim to fit. Your wallet is happy you didn’t shoot the parts cannon at the leak. A pressure test is an easy way to find a leak. I always run a dye in my coolant and engine oil for quick diagnosis as well.

Yea, I didnt want to throw stuff at it until I knew what it was. My TJ only has 92K on it and I know a lot of yall have gotten a lot more mileage out of them.