Leaking coolant sometimes

Chilidawg

TJ Enthusiast
Drove about 20 minutes parked and had coolant dripping off the front chunk. Opened the hood and saw coolant dripping down the lower radiator hose onto the front axle and to the ground. Stopped on the way home to get a gallon of antifreeze and when i came out of the parts store, no more leaking. I added about 1/2 gallon to the overflow and made it 15 minutes home with the temp staying perfect like always. Been home 2 hours and no more leaking. Opened the radiator cap and the radiator was full, it had pulled a small amount out of the overflow. So common search is that it is the water pump, leaking out the weep hole. Does that mean a new water pump in my near future???

Any leak needs to be addressed. Make sure you aren’t over filling your overflow reservoir or it can splash out the vent when driving and run down the hose.

Reactions: Rygrego
Leaking out of the weep whole is a definite indication the water pump is on its way out. When it leaks, it runs down the front of block and drips on the front axel. If this is what is happening, start looking for a water pump.

Drove about 20 minutes parked and had coolant dripping off the front chunk. Opened the hood and saw coolant dripping down the lower radiator hose onto the front axle and to the ground. Stopped on the way home to get a gallon of antifreeze and when i came out of the parts store, no more leaking. I added about 1/2 gallon to the overflow and made it 15 minutes home with the temp staying perfect like always. Been home 2 hours and no more leaking. Opened the radiator cap and the radiator was full, it had pulled a small amount out of the overflow. So common search is that it is the water pump, leaking out the weep hole. Does that mean a new water pump in my near future???

so drove it yesterday afternoon about 7 mins down the road. Stopped, turned it off and it was a slow drip running off the front of the front chunk. Parked it for about 2 hours drove home, shut her down crawled under her and not leaking, but i could still see antifreeze on the front axle. Could not see where it was coming from, but just on the lower half of the jeep. Still sound like the weep hole on the water pump?

so drove it yesterday afternoon about 7 mins down the road. Stopped, turned it off and it was a slow drip running off the front of the front chunk. Parked it for about 2 hours drove home, shut her down crawled under her and not leaking, but i could still see antifreeze on the front axle. Could not see where it was coming from, but just on the lower half of the jeep. Still sound like the weep hole on the water pump?

I vote Yes

Any one have a part number for the Mopar water pump for a 99 4.0? I used this part number from another thread, nut it only goes back to 2000.
68382492AA