Leaking rear axle seal draining on wheel and tire

I can't add any wisdom. I had a front seal that only lasted one year, no apparent reason. Did the work carefully myself. One thing we don't often think about, how old the seal actually is when we buy them. They don't have sell by dates.

Still haven't done anything, but thinking of replacing the axle shaft and that plate that holds the stuff in place. That would be all new at that point. I can't stand this leaking! Something must be wrong somewhere.

Thanks for the replies.

Still haven't done anything, but thinking of replacing the axle shaft and that plate that holds the stuff in place. That would be all new at that point. I can't stand this leaking! Something must be wrong somewhere.

Thanks for the replies.
I always get a warm glow when I install all new components. Then I save the old as a just in case.

Finger anything out yet? I'm having the same issue with a 44. Replaced twice. puking.

I thought I posted back on this thread to give my findings. I got an axle from a local forum member as he put in heavier duty ones since I believe was going to run 35's. Anyway, I replaced the axle with the used one that still had the plate and bearing on it. Just torqued it down correctly and it hasn't leaked since. In my case it was the axle itself it seems unless the plate was damaged, but that is unlikely.

Costly job, but what can you do?

This would make it their problem now wouldn't it? Warranty? Just Sayin.

Well the shop is owned by my best friend and lets just say I used his racks and a host of other benefits there. I knew it wasn't a labor issue, it had to be a part. This guy isn't just any mechanic, he is very knowledgeable and works on race cars that can do over 260mph.

Glad it got figured out and all is well.

A leak is a perfectly plausible reason to upgrade to stronger axles. Most guys here can easily convince their significant others that the minor hypoid weepage necessitates the immediate purchase of 4 chromoly axles. To play it safer, ring and pinion swaps front and rear. I'll wager some of the more savvy lads have claimed the 80/90 contamination totally ruined the stock rims and tires as well. I'm waiting for a RMS leak so I can fix it with a stroker kit.

• Haha
Reactions: reddvltj