Leaking soft top

F'nJeep

I recently picked up an '06 TJ, X model with I assume the stock soft top.
I've had water inside after rain, and noticed I could see daylight coming through the threads across the top rear. Would getting this restiched fix this? Would a sealer work better? (Recommendations for said sealer please) or a combination of both?

For leaks like that it almost doesn't matter if it's the 14 yr old stock soft top or a newer one that's been abused

Any sealer will be better than restitching unless the threads are pulling out. I really don't know which sealer would be the best.

On a slightly different note:

What year is that CJ?
Do you still have it?
And how far from Ohio are you in PA?

I hate these commercials, but I would probably be tempted to try the FlexSeal products - a few buddies have used them for various things and suggested it holds up. I'll probably toss in the tape to my parts bin since mine is getting long in the tooth as well.

For leaks like that it almost doesn't matter if it's the 14 yr old stock soft top or a newer one that's been abused

Any sealer will be better than restitching unless the threads are pulling out. I really don't know which sealer would be the best.

On a slightly different note:

What year is that CJ?
Do you still have it?
And how far from Ohio are you in PA?
Yep, still have the CJ, but sadly not the trail dog. Its a '78, that I've had since the early 90s. I'm on the other side of Pa, northeast corner

I hate these commercials, but I would probably be tempted to try the FlexSeal products - a few buddies have used them for various things and suggested it holds up. I'll probably toss in the tape to my parts bin since mine is getting long in the tooth as well.
Thanks, I'll give it a look

Walmart caries a product in their automotive waxes and cleaners that is made to restore convertible tops. The name escapes me but you will have no trouble finding it. It should fix your problem. It paints on (black) and dries and waterproofs the top. I used it on a convertible top last year. Easy application and worked. Look up some Youtube videos on restoring automotive convertible tops.

Walmart caries a product in their automotive waxes and cleaners that is made to restore convertible tops. The name escapes me but you will have no trouble finding it. It should fix your problem. It paints on (black) and dries and waterproofs the top. I used it on a convertible top last year. Easy application and worked. Look up some Youtube videos on restoring automotive convertible tops.
Will do...as long as I can order online and pick-up

The '01 TJ Sport that I purchased in January had a Smittybilt soft top which leaked at the rear seams near the hoop. I have heard of people trying AquaSeal, Roberts Vinyl Seam sealer and 3M Scotchguard. Whether they will work for you depends upon the condition of the seam.
I cleaned my seam and applied a light coat of FlexSeal; with no positive results.

Reactions: rasband
The '01 TJ Sport that I purchased in January had a Smittybilt soft top which leaked at the rear seams near the hoop. I have heard of people trying AquaSeal, Roberts Vinyl Seam sealer and 3M Scotchguard. Whether they will work for you depends upon the condition of the seam.
I cleaned my seam and applied a light coat of FlexSeal; with no positive results.
That's where mine leaks also, it looks like there's a piece of fabric on the inside that runs along that seam, (factory?) That has started to detatch, that's where I can see all the pinholes of daylight shining through