Leaking transmission after getting stuck in mud

Niko

Hi guys so I went missing in Sunday and I got stuck in a mud swamp. I was in it for a few minutes. While in the mud my check gauges light went on and I drove it all the way. But about 10 miles out my car wouldn’t get in to gear anymore and started to leak transmission fluid from the passenger side. I put some transmission fluid in about 5 miles away from my house and it was fine and then it did it again. And still leaking. It was a small puddle but I’m not sure what’s up. Can you help please thanks

DC40928F-BD6B-4ED5-8BB2-28382C651F7C.jpeg

CA7CFE06-01FB-47B2-9BFE-1373569FBFF7.jpeg

Water could be boiling in the trans and bubbling out in a foamy mess. It's not good for anything. I think those transmissions have a pretty low vent in the bell housing and you probably sucked water. @Jerry Bransford scolded me once for suggesting people could cross water a bit higher than was safe and this is probably why. If you got in deep water or mud and are now belching fluid you need to stop driving the Jeep. You need to replace all of the fluid. Get it towed to a shop or drain and replace all the fluid yourself. I personally wouldn't consider this a minor problem.

Edit: it's a nice Jeep, I hope that's not what is going on

Reactions: CharlesHS
What does the trans fluid look like on the dipstick? Have you washed out the mud from underneath? Clean up the underside and park it over a large piece of cardboard. That will give you a good indication of where to look for the leak. If there is water inside the trans drop the pan and (bare minimum) replace the filter, refill and get to a shop.

Reactions: Niko and CharlesHS
Weren't you already looking for a new transmission anyway? Maybe it's not related or only partially related to your mud bogging.....

Reactions: Niko
Weren't you already looking for a new transmission anyway? Maybe it's not related or only partially related to your mud bogging.....
Well I was thinking it was going to fix a stalling problem I had. But it was the idle control valve and a broken gasket :p

Water could be boiling in the trans and bubbling out in a foamy mess. It's not good for anything. I think those transmissions have a pretty low vent in the bell housing and you probably sucked water. @Jerry Bransford scolded me once for suggesting people could cross water a bit higher than was safe and this is probably why. If you got in deep water or mud and are now belching fluid you need to stop driving the Jeep. You need to replace all of the fluid. Get it towed to a shop or drain and replace all the fluid yourself. I personally wouldn't consider this a minor problem.

Edit: it's a nice Jeep, I hope that's not what is going on
I’ll take a look at that tomorrow. And thanks I have real big plans for this guy.

What does the trans fluid look like on the dipstick? Have you washed out the mud from underneath? Clean up the underside and park it over a large piece of cardboard. That will give you a good indication of where to look for the leak. If there is water inside the trans drop the pan and (bare minimum) replace the filter, refill and get to a shop.
I’ll post a picture here tomorrow to show you guys

From what I can tell, it looks like your transmission pan seal is toast.

Drop the pan, flush the transmission fluid completely (that fluid looks way too dark), and install a new pan gasket, transmission filter, and new fluid as well.

Reactions: Niko