Leaky Oil or Coolant?

I suppose you could always use the UV dye method, then you'd know for certain what was leaking and where it was leaking from.

I use that method when I have a leak, and it works every time.
Hmmm interesting idea. If I can't figure it out, I'll have to try it. Where do you get UV dye from?

Hmmm interesting idea. If I can't figure it out, I'll have to try it. Where do you get UV dye from?

Every local auto part store has it.

You put a little bit of it in the fluid, then you buy a special UV light (they sell those there too) and some glasses. When you shine the light on the engine you'll see dye leaking out from anywhere where there's a leak!

I use something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AZJTE2G/?tag=wranglerorg-20

and this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002M4G24U/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Very helpful tools to have in the toolbox. It takes a lot of the guess work out of it.

Reactions: PStov98TJ
I'll definitely try that out once I get the chance to run by the store.

In the mean time, I'll wipe off all the stuff around the PS sensor and take it for a drive. If more fluid has leaked onto the freshly cleaned parts, I'll have my likely culprit.

Come to think of it, it's looking more and more like it's the PS system, specifically that little switch. I've noticed fluid leaked onto the driver's side frame rail before as well. Hopefully a new one will stop the leak.

There is an o ring to seal the sensor plug/hose connection. It could be that although your moisture seems to be further back than that. It could blow back when driving but I would expect to see low levels in the PS reservoir, which you do not seem to have. Brake fluid is caustic to paint so usually you will see paint peeling up if it is brake fluid. Your valve cover has funk all around it so that is probably seeping as well.

I replaced my PS pump not long ago. It was leaking around the pressed in metal line. I was also seeing loss in the reservoir.

Reactions: Chris and PStov98TJ
The leak is very small from the sensor area, but it's been close to two years since I have daily driven the jeep, so I think it's been spewing the PS fluid a little at a time and I ignored the smell for a while because I was super busy with school and didn't really have time to stop and think about what was going on. Then the cooling system imploded and I chalked it up to that. But 6 months after fixing the cooling system, the burnt oil smell persists. So basically, I've been a bad jeep owner and ignored the obvious signs. And now that I think about it, the last time I went to get my oil changed (less than 400 miles ago), the tech topped off the PS fluid for me, which is probably why it isn't low. So I'm hoping this will fix the issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris
One thing, smell the PS fluid. When burnt it smells nearly the same, different than motor oil or coolant, to help make the differentiating diagnosis.

Reactions: PStov98TJ
One thing, smell the PS fluid. When burnt it smells nearly the same, different than motor oil or coolant, to help make the differentiating diagnosis.
I did smell it yesterday and I was surprised that the oil on my fingers didn't smell burnt. But after I replace the switch, I'm gonna wash the engine off and then see if that makes the symptoms go away.

An update for anyone reading this in the future...
A big sign that I overlooked was fluid on the back half of the diff. I believe that alone could have solved this mystery from the start. Also, I noticed my frame on the drivers side was looking very clean despite me not having cleaned it...ever. So when you see obvious signs, start looking. It probably won't be hard to find what's leaking and you won't have an engine bay covered in fluid like I do. Now on to the fix...

Replacing the sensor stopped the PS fluid leak. I believe it took a 7/8's wrench to get it off, but I also used an 11/16 (or something close to that) to hold the square piece of pipe where the sensor screwed into so I didn't break anything (see pic below so that makes sense). The black plug has a little clip that has to be depressed to remove it that is on the bottom. To make it easier it get off, I turned the switch a half turn, removed the switch, then took the sensor the rest of the way off. Also, have a rag or the new sensor ready because fluid will run out of the little hole pretty quick. This is obvious, but I was in a hurry to get it done before I needed a flashlight and it surprised me a little bit. Not the first time I've had to learn the lesson of slow down and think...but I'm stubborn:D Luckily I didn't lose too much fluid because I had a roll of paper towels right next to me.
2358A50B-BCA6-4BB0-A47F-F34F0CF1897A_zpsgtsrresc.jpg

Edit for clarification: this is the old picture. Didn't think to grab a picture of the new one, but everything around it was cleaned up after the install and is still clean after taking the jeep on a couple drives around town as well as testing it as I did before when I saw it leak the fluid.
Hopefully this sensor will hold up for another 19 years like the first one did. And thank you to everybody that helped me solve the problem. I learned a little bit about my jeep and vehicle maintenance in general this weekend by having to take a look around at things and actually know what I was looking at.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob5589