Leaky rear axle seal, what'd I mess up?

f22beaver

TJ Enthusiast
Dana 44 on my TJ. I did rear bearings and rear seals about a month ago. Drove it and checked it for about two weeks, it was fine so I stopped looking. Yesterday I go check it out and my wheel well had a ring of oily substance. Pull the rotor today and it's leaking between the outside of the seal and the axle housing (not the seal and the shaft). I bought the good Timken seal, used a Timken SET10 bearing, my locking plate is on the correct direction.

For disclosure, I did a slight application of Ultra Black on the seal but when I pulled it today it was only bonded to the seal, not the housing. Also, no nicks or gouges or anything on the housing.

I put it back together blindly hoping I assembled it wrong and it will work. But if not, any ideas? Just redo it?

What seals are you using? 9912S is the seal you want. Be careful with Amazon.... Have witnessed personally cheap knockoffs. I've always had excellent luck with Summit Racing👍

Reactions: rasband
There is a trick/detail to know on the Dana 44 rear wheel seals- something to do with the axle flanges- I can’t remember now but my 03 Rubi took a good mechanic 2-3 tries- Blaine spoke of it before I think.

What seals are you using? 9912S is the seal you want. Be careful with Amazon.... Have witnessed personally cheap knockoffs. I've always had excellent luck with Summit Racing👍
That's what I used. If it was a knock off it was a damn good copy. But noted, if I redo it I'll consider where I buy it from it from.
There is a trick/detail to know on the Dana 44 rear wheel seals- something to do with the axle flanges- I can’t remember now but my 03 Rubi took a good mechanic 2-3 tries- Blaine spoke of it before I think.
Hmmm, ok. I'll keep reading what's out there.

Here's them side by side.

IMG_4606~2.jpg

Reactions: Irun
By no means a mechanic...just hope this helps you out. I bought an LJ a few months ago and the prior owner's mechanic replaced the rear axle seals...Dana 44. The passenger rear seal started leaking shortly after I got it. I pulled the axle and inspected the seal and made sure everything was installed correctly. It was. I bought four new stover nuts that hold down the retaining plate. I made sure that I installed them evenly and then gave them a final torque to the FSM spec. It has not leaked in over 500 miles. I know that folks re-use those nuts often and I am sure you can get away with it most times, especially if you apply some thread locker. I just felt like for about $2.00 it was worth it to replace the nuts since the FSM calls them "one time use".

By no means a mechanic...just hope this helps you out. I bought an LJ a few months ago and the prior owner's mechanic replaced the rear axle seals...Dana 44. The passenger rear seal started leaking shortly after I got it. I pulled the axle and inspected the seal and made sure everything was installed correctly. It was. I bought four new stover nuts that hold down the retaining plate. I made sure that I installed them evenly and then gave them a final torque to the FSM spec. It has not leaked in over 500 miles. I know that folks re-use those nuts often and I am sure you can get away with it most times, especially if you apply some thread locker. I just felt like for about $2.00 it was worth it to replace the nuts since the FSM calls them "one time use".
That's exactly what I did yesterday. And noted on the nuts. I did reuse but I also red loctited them. If I have to do it again I'll buy new.
Edit: the one on the right is SKF 18731.

SKF 18731 Grease Seals https://a.co/d/fyvCeIh
Noted. If my Timken is counterfeit I see the benefit in the SKF.

So you ended up running the SKF? Looks just like a spicer. I’ve heard the Timkens from Amazon are fake but from elsewhere are good. I’ve only used spicers myself though.

I've still got the Timken in there. I just pulled it off and put it back on the other day, so same hardware. I'll buy the skf to have if needed.

I had to replace the rear driver side seal in the 44 on my 06 with a Centric brand from Rockauto a couple years ago. Hasn't leaked yet. But I may have just jinxed it.