Leaky rear main seal

Mcnenc1

TJ Enthusiast
So this happened. Any how to on fixing this???

1C9F3CEF-750B-4DD5-966F-CA7F1EB14575.jpeg

So, I have everything I need according to the article to fix my RMS. I just cannot get the 4 down pipe bolts out. I have been trying for a few days now and not one has come free. Covered in liquid wrench. I am using multiple wobble extensions. I am unsure if I am just missing something. Is underneath the only way? Is there a trick that I am missing? I thought I was mechanically inclined. Oh well. Thanks.

@Scain, are they pretty rusty? They are not torqued very high. I was able to get mine off with a 1/4" drive long extension. Might just need to keep hosing them down with liquid wrench and working them back and forth.

Check the rear of the valve cover before you condemn the rear main seal.

Also check the oil pan gasket when you get the pan off. I thought I had an RMS seal leak, but it was obvious it was coming from the oil pan gasket once I got everything off.

I thought about going ahead and changing the RMS since I was that far into it, but I decided to leave it alone since it wasn’t leaking.

Reactions: Daryl
I just cannot get the 4 down pipe bolts out.

I recently went through this on my '05 LJR. I was actually able to get a 3/8" drive ratchet and short socket on all 4 bolts. No swivels. Toe get them broken loose, I heated the nuts with a MAP gas torch. I replaced all the nuts and bolts on mine and used anti-seize so next time should be easier.

Reactions: KCsTJ
When I did mine I presoaked those bolts for a day of two with PB Blaster. They still wouldn’t budge. I tried a 50/50 mixture of Automatic Trans fluid and acetone. Sprayed the hardware down around midnight, the next morning they broke free like they weren’t even tight

For me, those bolts above the mini cats on my 2001 were the worst part of the whole job. The 110 degree heat outside didn't help when I did it last August, but I managed to get them free with an extension and a universal. Good luck!

Reaching in under the front fender liner (take it right out) and using a short socket is what does the trick for me. The heat shield gets in the way of a long socket. If you have the right socket, you could probably get it from underneath. I ground one of my sockets down to fit. Also had to use my thinnest ratchet.

Reactions: duncanator
Reaching in under the front fender liner (take it right out) and using a short socket is what does the trick for me. The heat shield gets in the way of a long socket. If you have the right socket, you could probably get it from underneath. I ground one of my sockets down to fit. Also had to use my thinnest ratchet.
Yeah, that reminds me that when I did mine last fall, I purchased some low profile sockets!

@Scain, are they pretty rusty? They are not torqued very high. I was able to get mine off with a 1/4" drive long extension. Might just need to keep hosing them down with liquid wrench and working them back and forth.
Thanks for replying. I will soak them some more. Would you confirm they are 5/8” bolts?
Happy Easter.