LED front blinkers

Shwane

Backcountry Jeeper
Supporting Member
I'm about to instal tube fenders and was looking into options to put my blinkers back. Reading through all these write ups has me wondering if I would just be better off putting some old fashioned incandescent bulb housings in. Are the diodes, resistors and blinker switches all necessary to put LED's? I just need them to blink.

JK blinkers sound easier. On the front of my grill. If anyone has done this what year JK blinkers work the best?

This is what I wrote on that subject a couple weeks ago....

For the front turn signals being moved onto the radiator grill, I would stick with the OE incandescent bulbs. LEDs in that location are notorious for causing flasher issues.

Also... after drilling the 3 1/8" hole for the JK bulb housing, add three shallow notches in the hole to match the JK housing's ribs on the side of the housing. That will allow the enclosure to seat properly. Then cut a slot at the very front of each of the enclosures three external ribs to allow the housing to be twist-locked into place so it can't fall out. If you'll clock the notch positions so they're not at the 10, 2, and 6 o'clock locations you can then twist-lock the enclosure to the point it is straight up & down & locked in place. When a bulb burns out in the future, you just twist to unlock the housing so it can be pulled out.

Other instructions suggest you just force the housing into the hole so it is jammed into position which is a crude way of installing them.

This is how I cut my notches... you can see they're clocked maybe 15 degrees CCW from being at the 10, 2, and 6 o'clock positions.

These pics are from my previous TJ but I did the exact same thing on my current TJ.

GrillBigHoleTouchup.jpg

TopDownNewCJlights.jpg

Reactions: Chris
I agree with everything Jerry said. My LED front turn signals were such a nuisance (caused all sorts of weird issues) so I just removed them.

BTW, that looks great with the turn signals there Jerry.