LED headlights lumens too high for on-road use?

JESTER801

I had all the lights in my jeep converted over to Code 4 LED a local company in Utah. They did an excellent job, but my question is I get Flashed by oncoming traffic and get yelled at all the time by other drivers. They think my hi beams are on in my jeep. I have looked at the local laws in Utah and It seems like LED are just more blinding color range than Halogen despite being just a tad better on the Lumen brightness.

I was curious what your thoughts are and if this is an issue you have dealt with as a Jeep Owner with LED lights.
2000 Jeep TJ.jpg

https://code4ledsupply.com/product/7-round-headlight-for-jeep-or-harley/

You could try aiming them a little lower.
Happens to me in my leveled 4x4 F150. LED headlights. Folks flash me almost every time I drive at night.
My take? I can f**kin see everything with those lights, so...they're staying.
my daily driver is a 2020 Explorer ST and my headlights in that are basically shining the sun at people. nobody ever flashes me..

Happens to me in my leveled 4x4 F150. LED headlights. Folks flash me almost every time I drive at night.
Illegal and astonishingly dangerous to others, and if someone dies it's premeditated murder.

You should be in prison.

My bet is they're either aimed too high, or if they have a high blue content, that is painful to have shined at your eyes even when aimed properly. If their light is white, just re-aim them so the top of the pattern is per all the sample patterns that can be found using Google.

My bet is they're still aimed too high. You're getting flashed "almost every time" by those who encounter your lights, take the hint and lower them down a tad so they don't blind everyone. Some might call that attitude being an asshole. I'm not necessarily saying that but...

P.S. Being "level" is not the same as being properly aimed.

I have the same problem. I have lowered them, but still need to see ahead of me on the back roads. I might go with something different and non LED. My driving lights are twice as bright as my headlights and are angled way down. It's a bitch to drive in heavy snow with them.
Rubi lights 3.png

Last edited:
Reactions: John Cooper
Illegal and astonishingly dangerous to others, and if someone dies it's premeditated murder.

You should be in prison.
premeditated murder? Tell me you don't know law without telling me. Get a grip, princess.

They can see just fine. My headlights just have a broader spread than straight in front of me like a pencil beam.

I can't believe this thread!

If you are getting flashed, you are BLINDING people.

They cannot see.

Someone who can't see going 60mph is what you are causing.

You need to rectify that immediately.

What is happening to people?!?!
I have only been flashed driving low speeds mostly in residential neighborhoods. I think your alarmist attitude towards what I posted is ridiculous. Lights were installed by a shop and I have checked local laws in which the headlights are compliant. These arent some cheap amazon headlights, but I also dont want to be a jerk or cause others to not see.

Also, We live in a day and age where people get upset by the slightest inconvenience and being able to see clearly at night in my Jeep after having the stock TJ headlights is my top priority.

Thanks

My bet is they're either aimed too high, or if they have a high blue content, that is painful to have shined at your eyes even when aimed properly. If their light is white, just re-aim them so the top of the pattern is per all the sample patterns that can be found using Google.
6500K is right on the edge of daylight vs that blue hint. which I hate. Mine actually have a tad of yellow in them to be honest. I noticed that on the back of a van the other night.

I will see where my beam is set and adjust. thanks

Those of you that cannot see at night, within DOT spec lights, seriously need to go to an opthalmologist and get checked out. Completely serious. Maybe you have cataracts or another addressable issue that can be fixed.

If not fixable... well old people stop driving for a reason.

Sticking stadium lights on your ride and telling everyone else to F*** off is a giant a**h*le maneuver, and criminal.

Those of you that cannot see at night, within DOT spec lights, seriously need to go to an opthalmologist and get checked out. Completely serious. Maybe you have cataracts or another addressable issue that can be fixed.

If not fixable... well old people stop driving for a reason.

Sticking stadium lights on your ride and telling everyone else to F*** off is a giant a**h*le maneuver, and criminal.
The headlights that are installed are DOT spec and 100% LEGAL

Thanks for the input you have given but you are WRONG..

I went through a lot of investigation before getting LED's. The cut-off is a key to not blinding people. While not going into specifics a few comparative reviews found on line showed that only about 5% of the LED's on the market have good to very good hotspot cutoffs. I went with the Vison X Vortec units. Morimoto's sealed unit for the TJ was my second choice. Overall, the best performing LED's are not the ones with the most lumens. Lux at distance is what's important as is beam pattern.

It takes more expensive LED emitters and a lot of lens design time to get a good cutoff and light focused on the road. Most of the ones that do a good job at this are over $500 a pair.

After installation I actually have less light in the eyes of on coming traffic but a lot more light on the road.

Here's a good place to start....

Reactions: Woodrow
TJ on 35" with my lift literally cant speed. Try again.. Just admit everything you have said is wrong and move on.

Thanks

I hope after you calm down and are in a quiet space you take time to reflect on what you are actually doing to other people.

I went through a lot of investigation before getting LED's. The cut-off is a key to not blinding people. While not going into specifics a few comparative reviews found on line showed that only about 5% of the LED's on the market have good to very good hotspot cutoffs. I went with the Vison X Vortec units. Morimoto's sealed unit for the TJ was my second choice. Overall, the best performing LED's are not the ones with the most lumens. Lux at distance is what's important as is beam pattern.

It takes more expensive LED emitters and a lot of lens design time to get a good cutoff and light focused on the road. Most of the ones that do a good job at this are over $500 a pair.

After installation I actually have less light in the eyes of on coming traffic but a lot more light on the road.

Here's a good place to start....

Excellent post, getting to the root of the issue.

People cheaping out to get what they want, not caring if it hurts others.

Quality lighting is very, very expensive, because making precision optics is very, very expensive.