LED headlights lumens too high for on-road use?

Funny thing is many of those $100 or less Chinese lights that look exactly like the name brand are in fact the same thing.

I don't mean a reasonably good copy, I mean literally the same light from the same factory. They sell them off label out the back door (a.k.a. Amazon).
Yeah keep believing that Amazon bullshit

Reactions: pc1p
I want to hear all about it.
Sure, I'll tell you all about it.
"I get flashed in my 100% stock truck quite often. Sorry but I'm not adjusting my stock headlights..."
Not rarely, not occasionally, quite often. Riding in front of your truck tells you next to nothing about what is happening to those other drivers. Your headlights are aimed at oncoming traffic. All stop. And when it's gently pointed out that you really should fix your shit you refuse. What kind of behavior do you call that exaxtly? Nobody has kind words for that kind of behavior and never will.

Sure, I'll tell you all about it.
"I get flashed in my 100% stock truck quite often. Sorry but I'm not adjusting my stock headlights..."
Not rarely, not occasionally, quite often. Riding in front of your truck tells you next to nothing about what is happening to those other drivers. Your headlights are aimed at oncoming traffic. All stop. And when it's gently pointed out that you really should fix your shit you refuse. What kind of behavior do you call that exaxtly? Nobody has kind words for that kind of behavior and never will.

You’re all wound up over headlights you’ve never seen. We’re talking about fucking headlights on a dumb Jeep forum and you’re here judging my character and calling me names. Grow up and try to have a conversation like an adult.

My JT gets flashed about 5% of the time, mostly when I'm cresting a hill while turning... I have the stock LED headlights in it, which have some of the best cutoff I have seen on headlights...

I better re-aim them to inside the truck so the delicate little 5% snowflakes don't burst into flames and die... :rolleyes:

I chose to go with the US made truck-lites. I haven't had any issue aiming them. They have a great cut-off pattern and are asymmetric by design for right hand traffic. If you aim them to put the center of the high beams down the road, the low beams are at a great angle to keep glare away from opposing traffic.

The truck lites are also very similar, if not the same, lights used in a lot of government and military fleets. Same manufacturer, same design, same quality.

The truck-lites I have are also heated, which makes a big difference in snow and ice.

I try to avoid buying stuff imported from the PRC when feasible for ethical reasons. Obviously it's not always realistic but if there is a reasonable option from elsewhere I will strongly consider it.

Reactions: pc1p and Artsifrtsi
My JT gets flashed about 5% of the time, mostly when I'm cresting a hill while turning... I have the stock LED headlights in it, which have some of the best cutoff I have seen on headlights...

I better re-aim them to inside the truck so the delicate little 5% snowflakes don't burst into flames and die... :rolleyes:
I wouldn't worry about it if it only happens when you're cresting hills, as long as those hills aren't too flat. Properly set-up headlights aim down a little so they aren't directly in the eyes of oncoming traffic, but it's unavoidable when cresting hills. Though it never hurts to check your headlights' aim.

I wouldn't worry about it if it only happens when you're cresting hills, as long as those hills aren't too flat. Properly set-up headlights aim down a little so they aren't directly in the eyes of oncoming traffic, but it's unavoidable when cresting hills. Though it never hurts to check your headlights' aim.

Yeah, I know... I was mocking the little snowflake comments on this thread.

I regularly check my aim, and have been kicking myself for not having the contractor spend more time on our new driveway to make it more level in both planes than they did... makes the aiming a little more difficult.

Reactions: The shuggs
I'll stick with stock Halogen bulbs. Properly aimed, I can see everything I need to at night AND I don't blind oncoming drivers.
Going from my JT with it's Factory LED's to the TJ with stock Halogens, I can tell you that you do not see everything you need... unless you are driving in town with street lights and 35MPH speed limits. I cannot see a deer 20 feet off the road 100 feet in front of the TJ, but I can see deer 1/4 mile away when driving the JT.

The TJ is slated to get LED's, as soon as I find the ones I want.

Reactions: mushdogs
The JW Speaker lights have been copied over and over again by the Chinese.... so have the Trucklites..... Both are made in the US and I'm sure they are not selling them out the backdoor to Amazon for $100 a pair.

That video I posted shows their performance in relation to the real thing.... not even close.

The lens, housing (heat sink) material and component quality are vastly different.

I'd love to see the connection between a name brand high performing lite and one of the "name of the week" lights from Amazon if you've got an independent source.

What I found when I looked was much different. I found shops in town selling "LED upgrade packages" for $800 or so that would swap out all exterior lights with LED's. They hade JW Speaker rip-offs they were selling for $250 or so that you can find on Amazon for #100 or so. I asked if they used the real Speaker lights and they said no..... My guess is if they were not rip off copies they would have said they are the same thing. Interesting that they didn't have any set up and no installations you could look at to see the quality.
This is basically exactly what I've seen as well. The real deal (JW and Truck-lite) are legit and are not the same thing as the knock offs pretending to be them. Then some places buy the knock offs and resell them at a premium over their cheap Amazon price, or as a discount version of the expensive light they're copying. If you buy either of the top dogs from reliable sources, you will get the real deal, and no way are they even close to the cheap copies, as much as people still want to believe they are.

Going from my JT with it's Factory LED's to the TJ with stock Halogens, I can tell you that you do not see everything you need... unless you are driving in town with street lights and 35MPH speed limits. I cannot see a deer 20 feet off the road 100 feet in front of the TJ, but I can see deer 1/4 mile away when driving the JT.

Take a look at the video I posted a few pages ago.

I did a lot of looking and settled on the Vision X Vortex units. It was a toss up with the Morimoto sealed 2 but they were not in stock.

The newer Holly LED's are interesting if you like the original look as well.

Funny thing is many of those $100 or less Chinese lights that look exactly like the name brand are in fact the same thing.

I don't mean a reasonably good copy, I mean literally the same light from the same factory. They sell them off label out the back door (a.k.a. Amazon).
Oh really? Well post up the ones that are the same exact ones for Trucklight, JW, and KC because I'm a bit weary of paying those prices.

Take a look at the video I posted a few pages ago.

I did a lot of looking and settled on the Vision X Vortex units. It was a toss up with the Morimoto sealed 2 but they were not in stock.

The newer Holly LED's are interesting if you like the original look as well.
Hmm... hadn't seen the Holly RetroBright's before... I like the looks, beam pattern is similar to the JT...

Let me say this first, I'll never "knowingly" buy Chinese anything in the future again. Fuck em!
However, I did buy the Trucklites knock-offs from Amazon about two years+ ago and these lights are amazing.
Bright as daylight and have had no issues at all, so far. Even hit a deer head on @ 45mph and it didn't phase em?
When they go out, I'll pony up for the American made one's next time though.
It's just about supporting US now.
IMG_1671.JPG

I ran the cheap amazon LEDS for a year or so. I would get flashed and I did in fact feel bad for on coming drivers. I saved up for a set of pro comp lights that I love. I paid just less than 400 dollors for them. After I got them adjusted no one flashes me anymore, They have a clean horizontal cutoff line on low beams. High beams are awesome. I do have some PIAA lights on the bumper that I have aimed to both sides of the road.

I come home at 11pm during the week, back country roads through farmers fields. Seeing animals before they dart out in front of me is nice

I adjust my driving habits accordingly. At night, especially in unfamiliar areas, I simply drive a little slower.