LED taillights made all of my lights blink fast?

Rusteze

So I recently replaced my stock taillights with some cheapo LED trailer lights that were basically identical just a couple of days ago. Now, whenever I use my turn signals it does a fast blink, as if I have a light out. I know there isn't because I just recently replaced all headlights and taillights, even re adding a third taillight inside my spare tire. Any ideas? My dad and I were both thinking it could be about the load each light was now taking on (since the wires to the lights were considerably smaller than the Jeep's wires).

AB057209-055D-4D69-9947-7E5AA530D66D.jpeg

What Chris said...... take the two screws out of the steering column plastic surround (the part behind the steering wheel). They are underneath the column. Once you take those out, very carefully remove the two halves from around the multi-function stalk (turn signal side) and the wiper stalk. The relay is on top (it has been a while since I did this, I think I remember where everything is), the relay is a black cube that just plugs in, you will need a relay for LED lights, mine came with a pair of OFO tail lights (these lights are junk by the way, mine did not last 6 months before 1/2 the LEDs were inoperative).

Reactions: Rusteze
What Chris said...... take the two screws out of the steering column plastic surround (the part behind the steering wheel). They are underneath the column. Once you take those out, very carefully remove the two halves from around the multi-function stalk (turn signal side) and the wiper stalk. The relay is on top (it has been a while since I did this, I think I remember where everything is), the relay is a black cube that just plugs in, you will need a relay for LED lights, mine came with a pair of OFO tail lights (these lights are junk by the way, mine did not last 6 months before 1/2 the LEDs were inoperative).
You need an LED flasher relay to fix this issue.

Here's the one I use:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07LC4DMS1/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Thank you kindly, gents. I'll look into this solution tonight.

Reactions: Chris
Alright just did the install. They blink as they should now, but they seem to keep clicking after the blinker is disengaged. Any suggestions?

How long do they click for after the blinker is disengaged. If it's only once, that may be normal, as I believe mine do that as well.

How long do they click for after the blinker is disengaged. If it's only once, that may be normal, as I believe mine do that as well.
It's a few clicks, lasting about 1-2 seconds after being disengaged. Each click after being disengaged slows down, also. If you're into classical music (I play sax), it's like a ritardando.

It's a few clicks, lasting about 1-2 seconds after being disengaged. Each click after being disengaged slows down, also. If you're into classical music (I play sax), it's like a ritardando.

I play guitar, but mostly just blues ;)

I think what you're describing may be normal. Mine does this as well, and I've just learned to live with it. The LED flasher relay works without much hassle. However, for a vehicle to truly be meant for LEDs, I believe there is a lot of wiring that has to be done different from the factory. Not to say someone couldn't figure it out on the TJ, but I just think that no one has ever bothered to take the time, as it would be more work than it's worth.

I'm interested to see what others say though, as like I said, mine does this as well. I guess it just never bothered me much.

Reactions: Rusteze
Reactions: Chris
Ordered. Will post again after installation
Don't forget to check your emergency flashers also. They run off the same flasher. I had to find a higher amperage flasher to make both the signals and the emergency flasher work. I do have LED's all the way around though which may have been the cause.
NOVITA LM470 - Only one that worked properly for me.....

Last edited:
Reactions: Wojoe