Left rear scraping/raspy sound when turning right

surfobx031

I took my 2006 TJ up to Firestone to get rear brake shoes & drums replaced [both sides], needed done quickly. No issues before that, but when I left I noticed when I turned right, or rolled through a right-hand bend in the road, there is now a raspy or scraping sound coming from the left rear.

Any Ideas what this could be? Total forum n00b here, so be gentle!

It only happens when you turn, and it's only from the rear? That doesn't make much sense since the rear doesn't turn. Seems like it would be something like a dust shield on the front brakes.

Two things you should do:

1) get under the vehicle and visually inspect for anything rubbing

2) take it back to the place that did the job and mention this to them. Firestone is a big company, they'll put it up on a lift and fix it for you for sure. Just tell them it didn't happen until after the brakes.

Reactions: surfobx031
It only happens when you turn, and it's only from the rear? That doesn't make much sense since the rear doesn't turn. Seems like it would be something like a dust shield on the front brakes.

Two things you should do:

1) get under the vehicle and visually inspect for anything rubbing

2) take it back to the place that did the job and mention this to them. Firestone is a big company, they'll put it up on a lift and fix it for you for sure. Just tell them it didn't happen until after the brakes.

Yeah it happens when the weight shifts to the left when turning right- sounds like something scraping on left rear wheel. I took it back to them once and they tried to say it was bushings going bad, even wrote "sway bar bushings" on the repair ticket. I know it isn't sway bar bushings, I replaced those a year ago. Also have a hard time believing what ever failed, or is failing they claim, happened without any warning and in the course of driving it from the parking spot to the garage bay and back.

Sway bar bushings are easy to swap out, but those don't usually go bad very often.

Have you gotten under the vehicle and inspected it? If there is metal-on-metal scraping, get under there and look around. It will be very obvious where the scraping is coming from usually, because you'll see worn / exposed metal in that area.

Didn't see much scraping first but will look again after I get home. Also going to try pushing/rocking the vehicle to the left while it's parked. Think that would give me an idea if it's the bushings [which I don't think it is], or if it's something that's happening when the drivetrain is rotating.

Sway bar bushings are easy to swap out, but those don't usually go bad very often.

Have you gotten under the vehicle and inspected it? If there is metal-on-metal scraping, get under there and look around. It will be very obvious where the scraping is coming from usually, because you'll see worn / exposed metal in that area.

Pulled off the drum & saw some wear around the edge of the backing plate. Pushed the body over to the left a bunch & it didn't make that scraping sound, so it seems it's only happening when drivetrain is moving.