Left & Right Wheel Offset Difference

k-huevo

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
The wheels on the passenger/right side of my 2005 TJ are 1.25" further outward than the driver/left side. The right side rear rim is a different model than the others. I suspected backspacing disparity between rims, but both front and rear tires on that side share the same offset from the frame. It's my first Jeep; is this normal for early models?

The difference between sides can clearly be seen when looking at tire edge to fender edge gap. Fender flares are the same width, BTW.

Did the previous owner put wheel spacers on the passenger side and forget to add them to the driver side?

ETA: 1.25" is a very common wheel spacer width.

Reactions: k-huevo
Thanks; valid question. The front rims are the same model, and one doesn't appear further from the brake caliper than the other.

I'll take photos later.

Yes, 2" lift.
A 2" lift would account for a small offset to the side, if there are no adjustable track bars. But not 1.25", and the front would be offset to one side, and the rear to the other. Something else is going on there.

Reactions: ac_
A 2" lift would account for a small offset to the side, if there are no adjustable track bars. But not 1.25", and the front would be offset to one side, and the rear to the other. Something else is going on there.
Hey glwood (your surname here is pretty suggestive). I see you're posted as a TJ expert so I got a question. My 99'tj is all over the road. The front end components and toe out seem all good, got an expert opinion/check on that and I checked it myself. The REAR axle seems to be well over to the left an inch or so as witnessed by a simple measurement from the shock mount to the tire sidewall, sitting flat of course. The tj does have a 4"+ lift on it and adjustable track bars plus adjustable front ax and rear ax those parallel to the drive shaft, drag link bars that goes from the axle to the frame. (not sure what those are called). The jeep thing is new to me, I'm learning more everyday. Your estimate of the prob would be appreciated, or anyone else's for that matter.

Hey glwood (your surname here is pretty suggestive). I see you're posted as a TJ expert so I got a question. My 99'tj is all over the road. The front end components and toe out seem all good, got an expert opinion/check on that and I checked it myself. The REAR axle seems to be well over to the left an inch or so as witnessed by a simple measurement from the shock mount to the tire sidewall, sitting flat of course. The tj does have a 4"+ lift on it and adjustable track bars plus adjustable front ax and rear ax those parallel to the drive shaft, drag link bars that goes from the axle to the frame. (not sure what those are called). The jeep thing is new to me, I'm learning more everyday. Your estimate of the prob would be appreciated, or anyone else's for that matter.

If you have adjustable track bars, there's no reason you shouldn't have centered axles, side to side. That can be done with the Jeep sitting still, it's just a matter of adjusting the length of those. The control arms are what attach the axles to the frame, and if you have adjustable control arms, the pinion angles will be able to be adjusted. I don't know the specifics of your TJ, other than a 4" lift, so there's no way to pin down exactly why your 99 is "all over the road". Search 'dry steering test', that will be a good place to start.

Reactions: Tahneta Pass AK
I parked the Jeep on an incline to take pictures. I measured offset with the Jeep's front both directions. On the irregular surface the difference between sides was 1", except for one direction on one side where the difference was back to 1.25". I measured the front rim face to brake rotor, and it was the same for both left & right. I couldn't feel a spacer between the rear rims and brake drum. Attached are external images of the tire edge behind fender flare for each side. These are 7" flares that measure closer to 8".

I have many images. If you want to see something specific, let me know.
IMG_1284.JPG
IMG_1285.JPG

Do all of your rims match size wise? I mean when I bought my Jeep all of my rims were 10 inch wide except one was 8. Could you have miss matched wheels? Also does the frame look tweaked or repaired anywhere? How about the control arms any damage to those?

Also make sure you are measuring at the same exact point on both sides.

It is possible the right rear rim could be different, although the tire doesn't appear to be poked or pinched. I was told by the previous owner (father in law) the rear wheel was damaged (brother in law) and this replacement rim matched specs of the others. The report may or may not be reliable. I doubt the tire crown would deform by an inch though, and there's that detail about matching offset disparity for both front and rear wheel.
Right Front Wheel.JPG
Right Rear Wheel.JPG

I'll be sure to look closely at frame and control arms.

If you have adjustable track bars, there's no reason you shouldn't have centered axles, side to side. That can be done with the Jeep sitting still, it's just a matter of adjusting the length of those. The control arms are what attach the axles to the frame, and if you have adjustable control arms, the pinion angles will be able to be adjusted. I don't know the specifics of your TJ, other than a 4" lift, so there's no way to pin down exactly why your 99 is "all over the road". Search 'dry steering test', that will be a good place to start.
Thank you glwood. I will be under the tj rear today as I "de-rust", paint and will scope out what's adjustable, ect. I'll look up that dry steering test. Have a good one.

Images of control arms, rear track bar, links, and other parts that may be relevant. I can see minor gaps at bushing mounts that appear to skew control arms toward the right side, but not by much. Nothing on the chassis, including frame, appears bent, broken, or repaired.
IMG_1316.JPG
IMG_1317.JPG
IMG_1319.JPG
IMG_1320.JPG
IMG_1321.JPG
IMG_1322.JPG
IMG_1329.JPG
IMG_1330.JPG
IMG_1337.JPG
IMG_1338.JPG

Last edited:
Would I need both front and rear adjustable track bars to center the axles; and if so, Is there a brand or type recommended? The Jeep is a daily driver now with very little off-road use.