Lessons I learned from installing Savvy rocker guards and sliders

Irun

A vicious cycle of doing, undoing, and re-doing!
Supporting Member
Having just finished the installation of a pair of the Savvy aluminum rocker guards and steel sliders, I figured I'd share some things I learned in the process. I have no idea what the appropriate amount of time should be for installation, however, for planning purposes, I spent approximately 10 hours on the project.

Being up front, you can do this installation correctly, or incorrectly. Given the cost of these, and intended functionality, cutting corners isn't recommended. If you do, two bad things will likely happen, First, the top of the aluminum rocker and bottom of the door entry will not be straight. Although this is aesthetic in nature, it manifests itself in the second major issue, with the bottom of the aluminum backer not being properly preloaded against the torque box. The implications of an improper installation are damage to the nutserts, damage to the torque box, and damage to the rocker/slider itself.

With that disclaimer, let's talk about the Savvy guard/slider. I've installed several different brands and these really are the best I've seen. The aluminum backer provides full coverage of the rocker, from wheel well to wheel well, and bottom of rocker to just below the bottom of the door opening. If installed properly, it fits snuggly against the tub rocker on the side, and tub torque box on the bottom. There's a lot of hardware included, and some you should buy (we'll cover that later), so hopefully this will help simplify what goes where, at least on the TJ.

1631537929355.png

1631540515187.png

In the supplied configuration, the steel slider gets bolted to the aluminum backer via bolts and nuts, then installed on the tub. This means that if you want to remove the slider, you have to pull both the rocker and slider as one piece. Thanks to a trick from @mrblaine, you can purchase longer splined nutserts from McMaster-Carr, drill the six (6) holes on the bottom outside edge of the rocker guard to 17/32" and install the longer 5/16 nutserts. This allows for the slider to be removed, without having to remove the rocker guard. The installation of the longer nutserts can be seen in the picture below (In green). They can be found here for purchase and come in packs of ten (10), so you'll need to pick up two (2) packs. https://www.mcmaster.com/95105A155/

Zinc-Plated Steel Heavy-Duty Rivet Nut, Open End, 5/16"-18 Interior Thread,.150"-.312" Material Thickness | McMaster-Carr

1631539234809.png

Once the longer splined nutserts are installed, here's what it looks like from the outside.

20210911_145311-jpg.jpg

With the location of the holes and hardware identified, let's talk a little about drilling the holes. If you're going to tackle this job, do yourself a favor and purchase a Blair Spotweld Cutter Kit. This was the first time I've used this particular type of cutter for drilling and it was a game changer for me. Once the rocker guard is in position, literally all you have to do is insert the cutter into the hole in the rocker guard, press in slightly, and it does the work for you. It self centers on the hole, throws very little in the way of metal shavings, and won't punch through like a normal drill. The only caveat is to make sure you use some sort of cutting lube and watch the drill speed. Hint: You don't have to run the drill at full speed to cut through the rocker panel. Although the kit I purchased had several 3/8 cutters, I only needed one to do both sides, but have a spare, just in case.

20210907_145328-jpg.jpg

20210907_145805-jpg.jpg

20210911_111144-jpg.jpg

As for placement of the rocker guard, and drilling the holes, patience and persistence are your friends. I used a jack and several blocks of wood to put pressure, i.e. preload on the rocker guard. In my case, I put enough pressure on the jack to slightly lift the tub. Once I had pressure on it, another trick from Blaine was to use a dead blow hammer and give the rocker guard a few whacks, with authority, on the side and bottom.

FWIW, I had each side off and on at least 4 - 6 times before I was happy with the line on the door, and that the bottom was touching the torque box sufficiently. Also, the jack and block position that worked best for me, on both sides was slightly forward of the middle body mount. This was necessary because both sides were low in the front and moving the jack and block forward, along with the dead blow hammer, did the trick. Once you sure you have the guard pulled in and up tight, drill all the holes, stopping to check each time that something didn't move.

20210907_102219-jpg.jpg

Once all the holes were drilled, I removed the rocker guard and used a dullish 17/32 drill bit to drill out the holes where the 5/16 nutserts should go. Hint: The dullish bit was used because a new sharp bit would grab the metal and distort it, if you aren't extremely careful. Once the 17/32 holes were drilled, I painted them with body color touch up paint, let that dry, then used an Astro tool to install the nutserts in the proper places. You can install them without this tool, but the job was so much easier using it.

716Zkne7KNL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003TODXQW/?tag=wranglerorg-20
20210910_185155-jpg.jpg

Once the nutserts were in, I re-installed the rocker guard using the same jack and dead blow hammer trick as before. Getting everything to line back up can be tricky, but if you placed and drilled it correctly, it will all line up.

20210911_111601-jpg.jpg

Once both rocker guards were on, I painted the sliders, waited for them to dry, and finished the job by installing them.

20210911_163320-jpg.jpg

20210911_163234-jpg.jpg

20210911_163154-jpg.jpg

20210911_163119-jpg.jpg

In my case, I left the rocker guard raw aluminum for now. Once I do my Savvy corner armor, I'll pull the aluminum rocker guards and paint them body color, along with the corners. Bottom line, overall, the job for installing these really isn't hard. However, you do need to take your time and not be in a rush. That said, a couple final recommendations are:

- Don't leave the flares on like I did. I thought by just removing some of the fasteners would expedite the job. It didn't! This was largely because of the number of times I had to put the rocker guards on and off. Having the flares in the way made this process more difficult.

- Use painters tape (you see the blue tape in the early pictures) on the top edge of the rocker guards. Because there's a slight bend towards the top, this helps so that top edge doesn't dig into the Jeeps paint when you're preloading and whacking them with a dead blow hammer.

- Before installing and fastening the rocker guards the last time. Take a few minutes to clean the tub rockers and wax them.

- I'm not 100% certain this is necessary, but given I live in an area that gets a fair amount of rain, I put a thin coat of RTV on every nutsert when I installed them. My thought process here was that, in addition to the touch up paint on the holes, it would help minimize rust.

- No explanation needed here, liberally apply anti-seize on every bolt.

- Have a selection of clamps on hand, to help hold and pull in the rocker, especially on the front and rear portions.

- Take a file and gently knock down and sharp edges of the aluminum that contact the paint.

- When preloading the rocker, lift the side of the Jeep approximately 4"

If I missed, or mis-represented, something I'm sure I'll be corrected. A special thanks to @mrblaine for all the pointers, as well as for a very smartly designed product!

Last edited:
Having just finished the installation of a pair of the Savvy aluminum rocker guards and steel sliders, I figured I'd share some things I learned in the process. I have no idea what the appropriate amount of time should be for installation, however, for planning purposes, I spent approximately 10 hours on the project.

Being up front, you can do this installation correctly, or incorrectly. Given the cost of these, and intended functionality, cutting corners isn't recommended. If you do, two bad things will likely happen, First, the top of the aluminum rocker and bottom of the door entry will not be straight. Although this is aesthetic in nature, it manifests itself in the second major issue, with the bottom of the aluminum backer not being properly preloaded against the torque box. The implications of an improper installation are damage to the nutserts, damage to the torque box, and damage to the rocker/slider itself.

With that disclaimer, let's talk about the Savvy guard/slider. I've installed several different brands and these really are the best I've seen. The aluminum backer provides full coverage of the rocker, from wheel well to wheel well, and bottom of rocker to just below the bottom of the door opening. If installed properly, it fits snuggly against the tub rocker on the side, and tub torque box on the bottom. There's a lot of hardware included, and some you should buy (we'll cover that later), so hopefully this will help simplify what goes where, at least on the TJ.

View attachment 276601

View attachment 276613

In the supplied configuration, the steel slider gets bolted to the aluminum backer via bolts and nuts, then installed on the tub. This means that if you want to remove the slider, you have to pull both the rocker and slider as one piece. Thanks to a trick from @mrblaine, you can purchase longer splined nutserts from McMaster-Carr, drill the six (6) holes on the bottom outside edge of the rocker guard to 17/32" and install the longer 5/16 nutserts. This allows for the slider to be removed, without having to remove the rocker guard. The installation of the longer nutserts can be seen in the picture below (In green). They can be found here for purchase and come in packs of ten (10), so you'll need to pick up two (2) packs. https://www.mcmaster.com/95105A155/

Zinc-Plated Steel Heavy-Duty Rivet Nut, Open End, 5/16"-18 Interior Thread,.150"-.312" Material Thickness | McMaster-Carr

View attachment 276611

Once the longer splined nutserts are installed, here's what it looks like from the outside.

View attachment 276637

With the location of the holes and hardware identified, let's talk a little about drilling the holes. If you're going to tackle this job, do yourself a favor and purchase a Blair Spotweld Cutter Kit. This was the first time I've used this particular type of cutter for drilling and it was a game changer for me. Once the rocker guard is in position, literally all you have to do is insert the cutter into the hole in the rocker guard, press in slightly, and it does the work for you. It self centers on the hole, throws very little in the way of metal shavings, and won't punch through like a normal drill. The only caveat is to make sure you use some sort of cutting lube and watch the drill speed. Hint, you don't have to run the drill at full speed to cut through the rocker panel. Although the kit I purchased had several 3/8 cutters, I only needed one to do both sides, but have a spare, just in case.

View attachment 276638

View attachment 276639

View attachment 276640

As for placement of the rocker guard, and drilling the holes, patience and persistence are your friends. I used a jack and several blocks of wood to put pressure, i.e. preload on the rocker guard. In my case, I put enough pressure on the jack to slightly lift the tub. Once I had pressure on it, another trick from Blaine was to use a dead blow hammer and give the rocker guard a few whacks, with authority, on the side and bottom.

FWIW, I had each side off and on at least 4 - 6 times before I was happy with the line on the door, and that the bottom was touching the torque box sufficiently. Also, the jack and block position that worked best for me, on both sides was slightly forward of the middle body mount. This was necessary because both sides were low in the front and moving the jack and block forward, along with the dead blow hammer, did the trick. Once you sure you have the guard pulled in and up tight, drill all the holes, stopping to check each time that something didn't move.

View attachment 276641
Once all the holes were drilled, I removed the rocker guard and used a dull (ish) 17/32 drill bit to drill out the hoels where the 5/16 nutserts should go. Hint: The dullish bit was used because a new sharp bit would grab the metal and distort it, if you aren't extremely careful. Once the 17/32 holes were drilled, I painted them with body color touch up paint, let that dry, then used an Astro tool to install the nutserts in the proper places. You can install them without this tool, but the job was so much easier using it.

View attachment 276642
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003TODXQW/?tag=wranglerorg-20
View attachment 276643

Once the nutserts were in, I re-installed the rocker guard using the same jack and dead blow hammer trick as before. Getting everything to line back up can be tricky, but if you placed and drilled it correctly, it will all line up.

View attachment 276644

Once both rocker guards were on, I painted the sliders, waited for them to dry, and finished the job by installing them.

View attachment 276645

View attachment 276646

View attachment 276647

View attachment 276648

In my case, I left the rocker guard raw aluminum for now. Once I do my Savvy corner armor, I'll pull the aluminum rocker guards and paint them body color, along with the corners. Bottom line, overall, the job for installing these really isn't hard. However, you do need to take your time and not be in a rush. That said, a couple final recommendations are:

- Don't leave the flares on like I did. I thought by just removing some of the fasteners would expedite the job. It didn't! This was largely because of the number of times I had to put the rocker guards on and off. Having the flares in the way made this process more difficult.

- Use painters tape (you see the blue tape in the early pictures) on the top edge of the rocker guards. Because there's a slight bend towards the top, this helps so that top edge doesn't dig into the painter when you're preloading and whacking them with a dead blow hammer.

- Before installing and fastening the rocker guards the last time. Take a few minutes to clean the tub rockers and wax them.

- I'm not 100% certain this is necessary, but given I live in an area that gets a fair amount of rain, I put a thin coat of RTV on every nutsert when I installed them. My thought process here was that, in addition to the touch up paint on the holes, it would help minimize rust.

- No explanation needed here, liberally apply anti-seize on every bolt!

If I missed, or mis-represented, something I'm sure I'll be corrected. A special thanks to @mrblaine for all the pointers, as well as for a very smartly designed product!
A few things for future reference. In addition to the painter's tape at the top edge, I take a file and just knock the sharp edge that touches the paint down so it doesn't dig in. That little kink stiffens the top edge and helps to hide the gaps between the rocker and the sheet metal. It should be standard on every rock rail but isn't.

Once we have them aligned and in place, we put a few clamps on to stop them from moving around while drilling.

When we preload, we are lifting the side of the rig at least 4" to get them where they go.

Very nice write up.

Last edited:
A few things for future reference. In addition to the painter's tape at the top edge, I take a file and just knock the sharp edge that touches the paint down so it doesn't dig in. That little kink stiffens the top edge and helps to hide the gaps between the rocker and the sheet metal. It should be standard on every rock rail but isn't.

Once we have them aligned and place, we put a few clamps on to stop them from moving around while drilling.

When we preload, we are lifting the side of the rig at least 4" to get them where they go.

Very nice write up.
I did use the clamps and file around the edges that would touch metal, but forgot to include that. Lifting the rig at least 4" is very useful and important. The only way to get the line straight, and have the bottom flush with the torque box was to do this! (y)

Last edited:
Reactions: mrblaine
Very good write up! I just installed these and went about it the same way. I gathered my info from multiple threads, now it’s all in one nice thread for future users. The ease of using the roto bit for this job was amazing. I too used Blaines trick on the longer nutserts, and I would recommend it for anyone installing these.

The only thing I didn’t catch was putting some painters tape on the body and easing the top inner edge of the aluminum on my first side. As I jacked up the aluminum, it dug into my clear coat pretty good, I didn’t make that mistake on the other side.

Fantastic write-up!
I'm nearing the point of installing my genright mini boat side rockers, flak jacket and aluminum corner armor. I'm sure I'll be able to make good use of these tips.

Between this and the hood cutting tips from toximus, my Jeep might look like I at least put some effort into it.

Perfect timing! My Savvy rails should be her Wednesday or Thursday! Fantastic info. I already ordered and received the longer nutserts, spot weld cutters and a nutsert tool!

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Besides needing the torque specs, why would Savvy send flat washers instead of lock washers? What prevents the grade 8 bolts on the underside from backing out? Obviously applying anti-sieze to every blots is a must but that's not going to keep them from loosening.

Besides needing the torque specs, why would Savvy send flat washers instead of lock washers? What prevents the grade 8 bolts on the underside from backing out? Obviously applying anti-sieze to every blots is a must but that's not going to keep them from loosening.
I don't use lock washers because they are stupid. They have a very narrow range of applications they work in where you can't get a bolt to stretch such as brass and copper electrical terminals or very short hardened shafts like the one the pitman arm attaches to.

There is no torque spec, just tighten them down with blue thread locker if you are that worried about it. We don't use anti-seize since it allows bolts to loosen and fall out. If you need something to stop the fasteners from seizing, use blue thread locker since it seals the threads as well as preventing loosening.

If you live in a salt area, the only thing you should do is put a small bit of anti-seize on just the tapered heads of any screw that goes into a countersunk hole. You would still put thread locking compound of a blue liquid type on the threads.

The washers do not go under the heads. There is only enough clearance in the skid holes for the heads of the bolts.

Last edited:
Thank you so much! I tend to overthink everything and overkill most things! Your knowledge is amazing and you are such an asset to this community! I appreciate it greatly!

Thank you so much! I tend to overthink everything and overkill most things! Your knowledge is amazing and you are such an asset to this community! I appreciate it greatly!
For the #4 Phillips flat head screws, we use a Milwaukee M18 impact in 3/8" with good impact bits. We hit them until they pretty much stop turning. You'll get a feel for it after you do a couple. We break about 1 impact bit every two skid installs without stripping out the Phillips drive, or the threads.

Reactions: PNW_LJ and Irun
For the #4 Phillips flat head screws, we use a Milwaukee M18 impact in 3/8" with good impact bits. We hit them until they pretty much stop turning. You'll get a feel for it after you do a couple. We break about 1 impact bit every two skid installs without stripping out the Phillips drive, or the threads.
What brand bits do you prefer?

What brand bits do you prefer?
Don't have a preference yet. We seem to break all of them with surprising regularity. Craftsman were good for a long time and then went downhill pretty quick. Blackhawk are what we are using now and they are okay. I do buy them by the handful though. Also about the only tool I use where I wear safety glasses religiously due to the bits shattering.

Reactions: Apparition
So what do you do when you are super careful at clamping the rockers in place, and drilling every hole using said rocker as a guide, and somehow, one and only one of the holes for a nutsert is 1/16" off. That particular bolt won't sit in it's bore nice and clean.

Asking for a friend

So what do you do when you are super careful at clamping the rockers in place, and drilling every hole using said rocker as a guide, and somehow, one and only one of the holes for a nutsert is 1/16" off. That particular bolt won't sit in it's bore nice and clean.

Asking for a friend
The hole isn't off. The nutsert likely set slightly off to one side. Drill the flange off and set a new one.