Lets see your best Jeep memes

c5fd797f68295a67c0a6c647830da27f.jpg

Those of us over 50 can remember real auto parts store with badass counter help.

"I need a starter for 68 Whatever"

"2 door or 4 door?"

"2 door."

"2bbl or 4bbl?"

"4."

"What side of the trunk is the badge on?"

"Left, why?"

"Yours was made in the second half of that model year, different part number. You need a 164DR-3."

They didnt even need to open a book. Nowadays you are usually better off running the computer for the kid behind the counter.

I'd say mid nineties, I was living in Denver. Walked into my NAPA...I need to order a cap and rotor for my Jeep. "Year and model?"
'47 CJ2A.
"Here ya go"
WTF? he walked around the corner and was gone for like 5 seconds, came back parts in hand!

Nowadays: "Well this is what the computer told me fits"...Well your computer is wrong.

I'd say mid nineties, I was living in Denver. Walked into my NAPA...I need to order a cap and rotor for my Jeep. "Year and model?"
'47 CJ2A.
"Here ya go"
WTF? he walked around the corner and was gone for like 5 seconds, came back parts in hand!

Nowadays: "Well this is what the computer told me fits"...Well your computer is wrong.
Yeah, nowadays if the little screen in front of them won't show them a part # to go get their lost completely. And the sad part is sometimes it will have aisle # and bin # and they still pick wrong part #. And god forbid if a # has been superseded you are pretty much Fk'd and might as well turn around and leave.

This caught my eye when I seen Denver and then nineties and NAPA and it took me a minute and then realized I was living in Denver like 89-91 and was workng at NAPA not too long before I moved out there. :unsure: You know your getting old when you forget about things because they were just seem too damn long ago. :cry:

I had a similar parts story around 1980, at a lawnmower shop. I was 13 yrs old and needed a new shaft for the carburetor butterfly of my go cart. My neighbor had his own landscaping business and I got to tag along one day when he was picking up some parts. The shiny clean place that sold 3 different brands could only help if I knew the model and serial numbers of the engine. CRAP. Luckily, he was also getting parts from a local barber (first floor) that repaired mowers in his basement. I told him what I wanted, he disappeared for a minute or two and came back with a handful of used ones because ordering one would take too long. All but one or two of them were exactly what I needed and when he saw that one or two he said something like, "Why did I have those in the wrong bin?" while shaking his head. I think he charged me $1.

A few years ago I was living in the Houston area and was driving to Tulsa to visit family, about half way there my Montero limited (the bubble shaped one) throws a pulley. Went to the auto zone in town(only parts store open) with pulley in hand. It was a Saturday morning and no one in the store. The person behind the counter typed in his computer and said nope we dont have one. I looked at him and said its a pulley, there will be one that is close enough to get me on the road. He proceeds to tell me that there is not a way for for him to search close matches in his computer. I polity advised him we would have to compare them manually. He was not happy that I made him work on his lazy day, but after about 30ish minutes going through a couple dozen pulleys we found one from a GM truck that was close enough of a fit. That was the hardest 15 dollars that kid ever earned for that store.