Let's see your vinyl wrapped TJs!

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Just curious to know if anyone on here has a vinyl wrap on their TJ, how much you paid, and of course... pictures!

Is it easy to tell it was wrapped, or do you have to get up really close?

I want to say @CRGR wrapped his.

Reactions: Dan T.
I know @JamesAndTheSahara was looking into this not too long ago, but if I remember he said he didn't think it was cost effective. If you have a friend at a sign shop they might be able to get you a deal, but just to let you know I had a custom topper decal for my girlfriends mini about 8 years ago. It was a custom picture of John Lennon and it cost me a little over 600 bucks. It was pretty awesome. I will see if I can find some pictures of it.

A quick google search netted me this:
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/vinyl-wrap.4379/

Off to see if I can find those pictures

I get the idea of it, but it’s kind of a waste IMO to wrap it to see if you’ll like the color, and then spend another 3-4K for a paint job. Just paint it the first time and skip the wrap.

Ok found it. This is a custom wrap I designed well I took an album cover and had it made into a wrap. It is a roof wrap:

f35652f2-e69a-45fc-a095-df4abc8c82fc.jpg

Here's one I found of a lime green wrapped TJ:

View attachment 41008
Just not sure I can get behind a full wrap like that. @ac_'s girlfriend's Mini is exceptionally cool, but it's purpose was different, and it wasn't the entire car. To me, the full wraps rank right up there with fiberglass kit cars and nitrous. Somehow, it just seems fake and lacking permanence.

Reactions: Starrs and ac_
Here's one I found of a lime green wrapped TJ:

View attachment 41008

The key is the hinges and other trouble spots. If they differ from main color they prob painted them before the wrap. A high end wrap will wrap them to match, but almost cost as much as a respray.

As for the lime green, I’d drive that too, like @ac_ , drive it right into the closest margarita!

Reactions: JMT and ac_
The key is the hinges and other trouble spots. If they differ from main color they prob painted them before the wrap. A high end wrap will wrap them to match, but almost cost as much as a respray.

As for the lime green, I’d drive that too, like @ac_ , drive it right into the closest margarita!

Very true. However, the TJ is relatively easy to wrap compared to most vehicles. Aside from the hood, it's almost entirely flat body panels. Most modern vehicles have tons of curves (which are a lot harder to wrap) and lines.

I thought @CRGR said he got his done for $800 or so, and it looked pretty darn good from the photos I've seen. Ultimately I'll just end up having it re-sprayed at some point. I just thought if you could get a wrap for $800 or so, it might be a cool way to try out different colors to see what looks good, without being permanent. Plus, a good wrap should last around 7 years or more, give or take.

Just not sure I can get behind a full wrap like that. @ac_'s girlfriend's Mini is exceptionally cool, but it's purpose was different, and it wasn't the entire car. To me, the full wraps rank right up there with fiberglass kit cars and nitrous. Somehow, it just seems fake and lacking permanence.
Nitrous is the shit,and like Chris said a good wrap lasts years,not to mention fresh pretty paint makes resale,trade in higher and easier. Look up the 700 horse nitro willys on yt racing zr1 s . Thank me later

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Nitrous is the shit,and like Chris said a good wrap lasts years,not to mention fresh pretty paint makes resale,trade in higher and easier. Look up the 700 horse nitro willys on yt racing zr1 s . Thank me later

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
LOL Already saw it. Still sticking to my guns, Wesley Herndon (now properly edited from "brother"). Nitrous can make anything faster. I like "all motor", myself. Serious old school, here. Vettes and the Studebaker Avanti were glass from the beginning, so I can accept them without issue. Vinyl is for albums, not car exteriors. I paid a lot for this opinion, so I think I'll keep it. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: glwood and Starrs
@Chris
Vinil wrap is so easy to notice that big number of half doors are wrapped to match the body color and people argue if the LJ’s were produced with half doors or not all the time. They are not just wrapped to change one color to other but also from one color tone to other tone. It is few fellas alternative to match colors some body shops does not guarantee.
I can’t tell you about longevity as I no see that yet on few of my buddy’s jeeps.
The final result will be dictated by the details, one guy i know on SC dismatel the door and re intall all after wrapped, nigth and day difference.
I was looking to wrap my black half doors when i cross into the red ones so i move from those plans.

Reactions: Chris
How would a vinyl wrap hold up to tree branches and other offroad abuse? I would think it would tear easily but don't have any experience with it myself.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk