Let's see your wheels!

I guess it’s what you like or get used to. I driven other Jeeps and have never felt such a harsh ride. My buddies who have ridden with me agree. I have OME shocks and they may be part of the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yea I run the same setup as you then. I think your right tho it’s all what your used to.

31x10.5x15 Duratrac on Pro Comp 15x8 3.75 BS

IMG-0004.JPG

You may not air down, but an off-road tire guy told me that the problem with E-load tires on a Jeep, is when people air down, there is a layer in the 10-ply sidewalls that cracks and has to be repaired or a new tire. Not saying you have a bad tire, just saying that people should know this so they can research it.
I don't air down as in for off roading so I'm sure I'm OK. I do run a bit less pressure than I would for Load Range C tires (28 vs. 30 psi) for on the road. I'm curious though as to how a cracked side wall would be repaired.

I don't air down as in for off roading so I'm sure I'm OK. I do run a bit less pressure than I would for Load Range C tires (28 vs. 30 psi) for on the road. I'm curious though as to how a cracked side wall would be repaired.
I wondered the same thing. He mentioned some liner in the sidewall, I suppose to make it stiffer, along with the extra ply. Have no idea how you could repair that.

In further research, I can see that an E load tire would not be ideal for our TJs. They are designed to carry greater weights and greater pressures. The TJ is light. In the airing down department, people do air them down without issue, but they have to go lower to get the same footprint as a C range due to that sidewall stiffness. Most can’t accomplish this bc the TJ is not loaded down with enough weight and going to 2-4lbs might cause tire damage or loss of the bead. C load is the way to go all around nd.

Reactions: KCsTJ
I wondered the same thing. He mentioned some liner in the sidewall, I suppose to make it stiffer, along with the extra ply. Have no idea how you could repair that.

In further research, I can see that an E load tire would not be ideal for our TJs. They are designed to carry greater weights and greater pressures. The TJ is light. In the airing down department, people do air them down without issue, but they have to go lower to get the same footprint as a C range due to that sidewall stiffness. Most can’t accomplish this bc the TJ is not loaded down with enough weight and going to 2-4lbs might cause tire damage or loss of the bead. C load is the way to go all around nd.
I agree that Load Range C is the way to go with a TJ. I have some MOAB wheels with original Goodyear MT/R Load Range E tires on them and that seems odd. I guess that was "OK" 10+ years ago. As mentioned above I put them on my XJ and they seemed fine. I replaced them earlier this week with a set of Duratrac Load Range C tires and didn't feel any big difference. I liked the MT/R's ... they were just a little long in the tooth.

Reactions: JMT
Stock MOABs on 33s
1.5" Spidertrax spacers
Nice set up. This is what Im after with mine.
Can you tell me what size lift & tire youre running? Metric sized tire? Is it Load Range E? I know its a 16" since ya mentioned moab wheel. I'm currently seeking a set of these wheels and wondered if I would have a better chance scoring the Mamba mr1x in 16x8 since my local area CL usually has beat stuff when it actually does show up.

Nice set up. This is what Im after with mine.
Can you tell me what size lift & tire youre running? Metric sized tire? Is it Load Range E? I know its a 16" since ya mentioned moab wheel. I'm currently seeking a set of these wheels and wondered if I would have a better chance scoring the Mamba mr1x in 16x8 since my local area CL usually has beat stuff when it actually does show up.
Try to get the Mamba’s in a 15. Many more tire choices and load range C. Another option wheel similar to the Moab’s is the Quadratec Rubicon. My .02c

Try to get the Mamba’s in a 15. Many more tire choices and load range C. Another option wheel similar to the Moab’s is the Quadratec Rubicon. My .02c
Thanks JMT. I just found the Quadratec Rubicon today. I like the mambas alot. Im searching the tires and do see and agree with your point on the Load Range. Im trying to talk myself into a 15" wheel but that 16" look is just talking to me more(thanks to the below photo). Im not sure why as I always loved a 15" wheel(more sidewall the better imo).

How would a OME 2.5" lift (bilstein 5100 shocks)with a 285/75/16 load range D tire ride on a TJ? So far I found a Cordovan Mud Claw in this size and range as well as the Maxxis Big Horn(same size).

Im trying to reach the owner of the photo below to find his exact set up. I know its a 2" OME and 33 GY MTR/K. I would assume its Load Range E (Yikes, too harsh a ride for me).

Anyone have any 2" to 2.5" OME LIft with Mamba mr1x 15 inch wheels with 33's or 285/75's? Should I start my own thread perhaps? I hate to hi jack the thread with this request.

IMG_0672-1.jpg

Thanks JMT. I just found the Quadratec Rubicon today. I like the mambas alot. Im searching the tires and do see and agree with your point on the Load Range. Im trying to talk myself into a 15" wheel but that 16" look is just talking to me more(thanks to the below photo). Im not sure why as I always loved a 15" wheel(more sidewall the better imo).

How would a OME 2.5" lift (bilstein 5100 shocks)with a 285/75/16 load range D tire ride on a TJ? So far I found a Cordovan Mud Claw in this size and range as well as the Maxxis Big Horn(same size).

Im trying to reach the owner of the photo below to find his exact set up. I know its a 2" OME and 33 GY MTR/K. I would assume its Load Range E (Yikes, too harsh a ride for me).

Anyone have any 2" to 2.5" OME LIft with Mamba mr1x 15 inch wheels with 33's or 285/75's? Should I start my own thread perhaps? I hate to hi jack the thread with this request.

View attachment 39847
The 2” OME HD usually nets 2.5” of lift (you may know these things, I’m just covering some bases). It is good for up to a 31-32” tire. If you add a small body lift of 1-1.25” you will be perfect for 33’s (285/75/16).

As for load range. The TJ likes load range C tires. They are not as stiff as D or E load range tires. The C is preferred for ride quality. Also, with the less ply sidewall, they will flatten out better when you air down off-road. I don’t remember anyone on here running a D. The E discussion comes up quite often. It’s almost always frowned upon.

Bilstein 5100’s. I like them off-road, but I can’t stand them on-road. They are too stiff and I feel every single event. Just my .02c. I just took off a set last week and replaced with Rancho 5000X, noticeably softer immediately, and not fully broken in yet.

If you’re not going off-road, the 2.5” may work, just don’t hit any big speed bumps. If your going to stay on road, I’d avoid the Bilstein’s and Load D, E.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
You know...everyone dogs the E range tires. The original tires were E on my Rubicon and when I got the new ones, they are C. I don't notice much of a difference in ride quality between the two. I haven't aired the C's down yet, so Maybe they excel there, but I didn't really have any complaints about the E range tires either. Get them to 10 PSI, and they flexed plenty.

The 2” OME HD usually nets 2.5” of lift (you may know these things, I’m just covering some bases). It is good for up to a 31-32” tire. If you add a small body lift of 1-1.25” you will be perfect for 33’s (285/75/16).

As for load range. The TJ likes load range C tires. They are not as stiff as D or E load range tires. The C is preferred for ride quality. Also, with the less ply sidewall, they will flatten out better when you air down off-road. I don’t remember anyone on here running a D. The E discussion comes up quite often. It’s almost always frowned upon.

Bilstein 5100’s. I like them off-road, but I can’t stand them on-road. They are too stiff and I feel every single event. Just my .02c. I just took off a set last week and replaced with Rancho 5000X, noticeably softer immediately, and not fully broken in yet.

If you’re not going off-road, the 2.5” may work, just don’t hit any big speed bumps. If your going to stay on road, I’d avoid the Bilstein’s and Load D, E.

I dont mind a refresh on somethings. Ive been searching now and then for months so its very helpful indeed. I get the whole C range thing and I do like a comfortable ride. I remember having a YJ and putting Rancho 5000s(IIRC) on the leaf suspension and then wondering why it was so harsh. i left them on but UGH what a ride. I learned from there on. lol!

One question on the 16's though. When Jeep put their 16 Moab wheel on the TJ Rubicon, I think the tire was a 245/75/16 Goodyear MT/r. Do you know if they were Load Range E? Do you know how it rode with this set up? I looked up a few things on them in that size tire and read some where that the sides were softer that a E. I cant find that post anywhere now. I never bookmarked it. I looked that tire up but all I found was an E rated tire.

I did read sometime ago about the Bilstein shock being a stiff. I got the lift used but never installed. The shocks were included so I think I will be trying to sell those off. Do you know of a worth value for a selling price on them? Im not sure what OME Spring I got. I havent dug into finding out if they are Light, Med., or HD? Would you know anyway I can find out? I ran a numbers check but didnt get into a indepth search to seek the answers. Definitely will be looking into this more now. I, thank you, for the input. Greatly appreciated.

View attachment 36727 View attachment 36728 Just put on a set of JK Moabs with 35's. Traded the guy outright for my 37's and I got the adapters as well. These tires are almost new, I made out pretty good.

How wide are your adapters? I'm looking at running the JK Moab 17s with 35x12.50R17s on my LJ that will be lifted 4". Wondering if a 1.25" spacer is going to be what I need.

I dont mind a refresh on somethings. Ive been searching now and then for months so its very helpful indeed. I get the whole C range thing and I do like a comfortable ride. I remember having a YJ and putting Rancho 5000s(IIRC) on the leaf suspension and then wondering why it was so harsh. i left them on but UGH what a ride. I learned from there on. lol!

One question on the 16's though. When Jeep put their 16 Moab wheel on the TJ Rubicon, I think the tire was a 245/75/16 Goodyear MT/r. Do you know if they were Load Range E? Do you know how it rode with this set up? I looked up a few things on them in that size tire and read some where that the sides were softer that a E. I cant find that post anywhere now. I never bookmarked it. I looked that tire up but all I found was an E rated tire.

I did read sometime ago about the Bilstein shock being a stiff. I got the lift used but never installed. The shocks were included so I think I will be trying to sell those off. Do you know of a worth value for a selling price on them? Im not sure what OME Spring I got. I havent dug into finding out if they are Light, Med., or HD? Would you know anyway I can find out? I ran a numbers check but didnt get into a indepth search to seek the answers. Definitely will be looking into this more now. I, thank you, for the input. Greatly appreciated.
Good morning!

Your ride quality depends on shocks and tires. Finagle with the tire pressure and you will quickly see a difference. Same is true for different load tires. The reason is tire construction. Due to the construction your will see a great divergence of max psi on the sidewall between a C and E load tire. E load tires are constructed to carry heavy loads at higher pressures. C load tires are softer construction and will, despite the naysayers opinions, create a larger footprint when aired down to the same pressure (substantially).

Yes, the TJR stock tire was 245/75/16 w GY Wrangler MT/R. However, I cannot find the load specs on that tire from ‘03-06’. Maybe @DrDirt knows. He worked in the tire industry for many years. Also @Chris . Nevertheless, the previous paragraph stands, and we are limited to running today’s tire technology on our TJ’s.

I’m sure you know that the Rancho 5000 shock would be a poor choice for a TJ, but the 5000X would be a great choice, and at a great price point.

On th Bilstein’s, some people love them, others hate them. You might try them. My excitement over having a TJ kept me happy for a year. Then they got annoying. Selling point will vary depending on condition. Mine are 1 yr 2 months old with 12,000 miles and I can probably sell them for $200 easy. They are a very popular off-road Shock. Right now I’m holding on to mine until I come to a final decision regarding the Rancho 5000X’s.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris