Let's talk about door hinges

There is a guy near me in Coarsegold Ca. that parts out a ton of TJs. Dont know if he ships.

His name is Chris Moore on FB.

They were clearing out that yard last time I drove by and the guy at Spaulding said they don't have anything right now

• Sad
Reactions: JMT
There is a guy near me in Coarsegold Ca. that parts out a ton of TJs. Dont know if he ships.

His name is Chris Moore on FB.

That dude is the highest priced reseller I have ever seen..most of his stuff is laughable. YmMv

His prices are high. I've messaged him a few times about parts, but its never been anything I couldnt live without.

I did a set of half doors over a year ago. I got a couple hinges from Davey's and got the reset on Ebay. All had to be re-painted to match. There are a few companies that make color matched rattle cans. I had good results from those, but would only paint the hinges. I wouldn't do the whole door with those.

If you have a spray gun, you can buy color matched paint on Ebay as well.

If you decide to paint the hinges I would suggest going to a local auto paint store and having them mix up the paint and put it in an aerosol can for you. They did it locally for me for $25 a can. That entire door from my earlier picture and half of the windshield frame was painted in my garage. Depending on color and year it will never be show quality but for a 25 year old jeep with lots of sun it works a charm for small parts. Just make sure you properly prep the parts, and if you want a nice gloss I recommend ordering some 2k clear coat on amazon or ebay. You can get it in an aerosol can with a button on the bottom that mixes the two parts when your ready.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
If you decide to paint the hinges I would suggest going to a local auto paint store and having them mix up the paint and put it in an aerosol can for you. They did it locally for me for $25 a can. That entire door from my earlier picture and half of the windshield frame was painted in my garage. Depending on color and year it will never be show quality but for a 25 year old jeep with lots of sun it works a charm for small parts. Just make sure you properly prep the parts, and if you want a nice gloss I recommend ordering some 2k clear coat on amazon or ebay. You can get it in an aerosol can with a button on the bottom that mixes the two parts when your ready.

I've done two sets of half doors this way. Its close enough that I doubt anybody notices if they aren't looking for it. I sprayed some extra coats of clear to leave plenty of margin for buffing out the orange peel. The color is close enough that it probably matches a flame red TJ somewhere out there, it's just not factory perfect on mine in particular.

Metallic was tougher. The flakes didn't lay quite the same so the doors looked lighter, darker, or perfect depending on surroundings and where I was standing.

Reactions: Chris97
So, what's everyone's two cents on hinge bushings? I'm thinking Delrin but which ones, who's used what and would you use them again?
The factory ones are starting to come apart and I should replace them

Reactions: WestCoastDan

Nicely done, I would have never guessed.
Welcome btw. Where are you in OK?

Nicely done, I would have never guessed.
Welcome btw. Where are you in OK?

Thank you it was definitely a learning experience being the first thing I have ever tried to paint match. I'm still out of Norman as I am finishing up at OU but won't be running off anytime soon.

Last edited:
Well, I broke down and ordered what appear to be a clean set of hinges from Baseline 4x4 on Fleabay. Way more than I wanted to spend on hinges but it's over and done with.
I also ordered a set of the TMR hinge liners
It's entirely possible that I will have half doors to use if winter ever decides to go away

I always had issues with the hinges on my jeep slowly deforming or letting the door sag when I switched to full doors so here was my solution. While these aren't the cheapest solution they definitely have solved all of my problems as the entire door is far more rigid. I drilled and tapped the stock door plates to accept 3/8 bolts and bought countersunk stainless bolts to match. As I have a 97 my door bushings are not full length so I resin 3D printed new ones to custom fit the hinge and my jeep doors are as solid and responsive now as any other car. I did manufacture these myself but would be happy to give out the dimensions if you have the capability or want to do something similar.

View attachment 410774

View attachment 410775

Do you have a file for a CNC to make these It would be great.

I always had issues with the hinges on my jeep slowly deforming or letting the door sag when I switched to full doors so here was my solution. While these aren't the cheapest solution they definitely have solved all of my problems as the entire door is far more rigid. I drilled and tapped the stock door plates to accept 3/8 bolts and bought countersunk stainless bolts to match. As I have a 97 my door bushings are not full length so I resin 3D printed new ones to custom fit the hinge and my jeep doors are as solid and responsive now as any other car. I did manufacture these myself but would be happy to give out the dimensions if you have the capability or want to do something similar.

View attachment 410774

View attachment 410775

Do you have a CNC file for this?

Do you have a CNC file for this?

The hinges pictured are a V1 that have several changes that don’t work on standard doors without some modifications. I am currently working on some V2 hinges that will better take into account changes in tolerance of different doors and jeeps while also having a better solution for the mirror mounting. These are all parts I work on as part of a small shop I run. I plan to offer them soon once I have all the kinks worked out.