Let's talk about pneumatics / on-board air hose size

You lines act as a tank don't forget. So you're technically starting at whatever your shutoff switch is.
It’s not much when you use plastic tube, no swelling like hose. We might have 20’ of plumbed line in the whole project. My airbag systems on our F450 and 150 are plumbed with hard tube. About like losing the charge on shock. Lol. Even a small quart tank, you can see a difference when starting a tool or the system staring and stopping softer. It does not really hurt anything either way.

Reactions: Wildman
I am not exactly sure what the last several posts are referring to but I still have a hard time believing a tank does not speed up airing up. You can start with a pressurized system and the compressor may kick on pretty quick after you start filling the first tire but it can continue to run as you move to each subsequent tire. So, if you start with a 1 gal tank at 90 psi and it runs continuously to air up all 4 tires and its at lets say, 50 psi when you finish the last, I think you have gained some time. Without the tank the compressor stops between tires.

I am not exactly sure what the last several posts are referring to but I still have a hard time believing a tank does not speed up airing up. You can start with a pressurized system and the compressor may kick on pretty quick after you start filling the first tire but it can continue to run as you move to each subsequent tire. So, if you start with a 1 gal tank at 90 psi and it runs continuously to air up all 4 tires and its at lets say, 50 psi when you finish the last, I think you have gained some time. Without the tank the compressor stops between tires.
How long can you fill before the tank empties and the pump starts? That's exactly how much the tank helps.

Once upon a time, my old front bumper was a 1.5 gallon tank. The York kicked in after a few seconds. You'll be hard pressed to find room in a Jeep for a tank large enough to make a difference beyond a few seconds.

Reactions: pagrey
How long can you fill before the tank empties and the pump starts? That's exactly how much the tank helps.
I have not done a direct comparison but I have to disagree. With a tank the compressor can be running continuously during the entire operation of airing up. Without the tank the compressor will stop each time you disconnect from a tire. Seems that continually running the compressor would be faster than having it not running between each tire.

Reactions: Zorba

As WSS points out it speeds it up a little bit. I had a 3 gallon tank on mine before and will be installing the largest tank I can again.

Keep it if it’s not in the way. My 2gl gives me a fast first fill and four minutes overall faster. I use mine more as a accumulator, so I can isolate it if needed. I sampled it in garage with and without. I have the same system in my F150. I use it often to fill and adjust airbags plus air up tires around the dairy.

Reactions: Zorba
I have not done a direct comparison but I have to disagree. With a tank the compressor can be running continuously during the entire operation of airing up. Without the tank the compressor will stop each time you disconnect from a tire. Seems that continually running the compressor would be faster than having it not running between each tire.

There is good to the compressor stopping because as it heats up this can be a bad thing if it runs too long.

I've had a tank. Now I don't. The difference is insignificant.

There is good to the compressor stopping because as it heats up this can be a bad thing if it runs too long.
I've seized up a York, too. It took about 45 minutes of constant use at a jobsite at a higher rpm. This was not normal use. And there was a good chance it was low on oil after several years.

I've seized up a York, too. It took about 45 minutes of constant use at a jobsite at a higher rpm. This was not normal use. And there was a good chance it was low on oil after several years.

I SMOKED one once when I blew an air bag and didn't know it. Was driving down a dirt road and when I stopped the York was smoking and was boiling the oil that was on top of it. Tried to rebuild it but it never worked right after that. Had to buy one from NAPA in Moab so I could run for the rest of the week. Lucked out and someone else in town had a air bag so he loaned it to me while ORO sent me a new one.

The one and only reason I would like to add a small tank to mine is to act as a small reserve because occasionally the bleed off at the cut off pressure is enough to trigger the cut in pressure. I've been saying that for about 3 years. That's how low of a priority getting a tank back in is for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wildman
I've had a tank. Now I don't. The difference is insignificant.
The wear and tear it saves on your compressor not having a tank is not insignificant and a good reason to dump the tank. This doesn't matter with a belt driven but is a big deal on an electric.

My system has a check valve and a blowdown valve, it's difficult to really tell exactly what people are talking about when you don't know how their systems operate ( this is not at all directed at you @jjvw ).

The one and only reason I would like to add a small tank to mine is to act as a small reserve because occasionally the bleed off at the cut off pressure is occasionally enough to trigger the cut in pressure.
Just add a small section of hard line somewhere, it is an extremely easy way to add a small tank. I used to have a copper line running down to a compressor drain valve and that was plenty. When I redid my system recently I just used a chunk of 6061 for a manifold and drilled it out so I have a little more reserve there.

The wear and tear it saves on your compressor not having a tank is not insignificant and a good reason to dump the tank. This doesn't matter with a belt driven but is a big deal on an electric.

My system has a check valve and a blowdown valve, it's difficult to really tell exactly what people are talking about when you don't know how their systems operate ( this is not at all directed at you @jjvw ).

Just add a small section of hard line somewhere, it is an extremely easy way to add a small tank. I used to have a copper line running down to a compressor drain valve and that was plenty. When I redid my system recently I just used a chunk of 6061 for a manifold and drilled it out so I have a little more reserve there.

Well if we are saying we have a YORK it's 95% chance it's belt driven. I don't know very many people who would get the electric driven York.

https://aircompressors.oasismfg.com/viewitems/air-compressors/xd3000-extended-duty-air-compressor

• Love
Reactions: WSS
You are correct, you are storing air for the next tire.

• Haha
Reactions: Zorba and jjvw
No difference, tank or not.

My Viair system was 200 psi
200PSI!! Jeez what kind of plumbing do you use?

That may be what you guys are talking about over using and overheating these little 12v compressors. I know they are capable, but that is a lot of heat generated at the last half of the fill.

Mine is set to go on at 90psi and off at 110psi

Reactions: Zorba and Wildman
Well if we are saying we have a YORK it's 95% chance it's belt driven. I don't know very many people who would get the electric driven York.

https://aircompressors.oasismfg.com/viewitems/air-compressors/xd3000-extended-duty-air-compressor
I ran a extremeaire on my CJ. It was a work horse. It worked like a real compressor and unloaded a small chamber off the exhaust port for easy no load starts. 100% duty cycle at my pressures.

https://www.extremeoutback.com/product/extremeaire-high-output-12-volt-compressor/
C9BF5820-E0DC-4966-AD9B-19BEAAC13D15_zpst1ewqvyo.jpg

Reactions: Wildman and pagrey
That's the type I run, I modified my fender support to tuck it under the brake booster.
I wish I still had it. It never gave any trouble, pumped up to top quick.

I have bought 6 (or three if you like) of the 440c dual viair compressors I have lost three so far. One was my fault completely, the pump is mounted inside the front bumper at bumper height, It was filling and I hit a huge puddle on the street, I could hear it hydro lock LOL. The replacement, I put in the same place but put plumbed the intake like a snorkle to the top of the radiator.

The second one killed itself. I left the switch on same F150, and a line blew. It ran till the battery drained. Of course the lower the voltage the more amps, which means more heat!!

The only one that has not given me any problems is the one that I run dual compressors on, our F450's air ride.