Let's talk about positive Jeep parts suppliers here!

Boo it would actually be dope! I did it in the Moab trip thread for June to aggregate trails.

What if you could apply it to wildmans or jjvws or rasband or jmts or jezzas or Blaine's or Jerry's or yours or ... thread to create a TOC to the vast amount of knowledge hidden within hundreds of forum pages

Some point soon I’ll have a ChatGPT sun forum where people can deal with it outside of the confines of the general forum. At that point then I won’t care what people ask it. The immaturity can run rampant as well as it’s confined to its own sub forum.

Reactions: Zorba
Some point soon I’ll have a ChatGPT sun forum where people can deal with it outside of the confines of the general forum. At that point then I won’t care what people ask it. The immaturity can run rampant as well as it’s confined to its own sub forum.

Yes I think this is a good idea, because the AI spam in all my tech channels has gotten obnoxious.

I can only hope it can give us some real value like parsing huge swatches of knowledge and indexing it or etc. I don't see a log of real value in its arbitrary semi accurate chat/knowledge base as a chatbots personally. Not to be rude or anything lol just my opinion on where the value can be found

Yes I think this is a good idea, because the AI spam in all my tech channels has gotten obnoxious.

I can only hope it can give us some real value like parsing huge swatches of knowledge and indexing it or etc. I don't see a log of real value in its arbitrary semi accurate chat/knowledge base as a chatbots personally. Not to be rude or anything lol just my opinion on where the value can be found

I am in agreement entirely. I think it has a purpose but that purpose is limited at least for now and it needs to be contained somewhere where it’s not just running rampant. I also want to see if it can be trained for better and more helpful responses which could at some point guide new members to existing threads with good discussions.

Reactions: lBasket
My top 3 in no particular order…

1. Black Magic Brakes - Great products that simply work and come with top rate support
  2. Savvy Offroad - Back when they actually stocked parts the quality was high enough to make up for the crappy service and missing fasteners
  3. Summit Racing - broad selection, low cost or free shipping and stuff gets to SoCal likety split from their Sparks Nevada warehouse
* Honorable mention - My local Ace Hardware store and their incredible selection of fasteners to complete the missing Savvy nuts and bolts.

My top 3 in no particular order…

1. Black Magic Brakes - Great products that simply work and come with top rate support
  2. Savvy Offroad - Back when they actually stocked parts the quality was high enough to make up for the crappy service and missing fasteners
  3. Summit Racing - broad selection, low cost or free shipping and stuff gets to SoCal likety split from their Sparks Nevada warehouse
* Honorable mention - My local Ace Hardware store and their incredible selection of fasteners to complete the missing Savvy nuts and bolts.

Summit is great for selection. Competitive on pricing. Reliable the part won't be broken when I get it — They came through most recently on my SJ shocks when Amazon sent me clearly returned shocks...

Agree — Ace Hardware is the best for local hardware selection. My local Fastenal is now 'appointment only' after COVID so Ace gets my business. Miss the old Sears Hardware, too, because they were basically an Ace with hardware selection and filled in the gaps geographically where an Ace wasn't...

Unfortunately, I suspect Ace will soon go the way of the radioshack. Us bolt-buyers aren't keeping them in business and the big boxes are pricing them out on the bigger profit items (appliances, building materials, etc).

Unfortunately, I suspect Ace will soon go the way of the radioshack. Us bolt-buyers aren't keeping them in business and the big boxes are pricing them out on the bigger profit items (appliances, building materials, etc).
The one by me does a booming business. They're a very short walk from my house, so they get a lot of my business, I'm in there 2 or 3 times a week. A couple of the employees are on my Belly Dance email announcement list!

The one by me does a booming business. They're a very short walk from my house, so they get a lot of my business, I'm in there 2 or 3 times a week. A couple of the employees are on my Belly Dance email announcement list!

I like hearing this. The one by me was driven out by the Lowe's that went in about 10 years ago. Still one 15 min North of me in the more 'rural' part of the County.

Glad you've integrated them into your world! 😉

I like hearing this. The one by me was driven out by the Lowe's that went in about 10 years ago. Still one 15 min North of me in the more 'rural' part of the County.

Glad you've integrated them into your world! 😉

Their hardware is better quality than Homeless Despot, which is a long walk from my house. Then if I need something more offbeat or "industrial", I go to the mom and pop which is a short drive away. Same location since 1885! Its a warren spread across 3 buildings - I don't even attempt to find what I need, I just ask one of the several guys around the cash register for what I want. They'll lead me right to it, sometimes its a bit of a walk!

Their hardware is better quality than Homeless Despot, which is a long walk from my house. Then if I need something more offbeat or "industrial", I go to the mom and pop which is a short drive away. Same location since 1885! Its a warren spread across 3 buildings - I don't even attempt to find what I need, I just ask one of the several guys around the cash register for what I want. They'll lead me right to it, sometimes its a bit of a walk!

I’m a fan of ACE for their fasteners and 80s hardware store atmosphere.

They seem to be doing well overall.

IMG_0428.jpeg

Same. The nearby 90k city has 2 Aces, 2 Lowes and a HD and the north Ace location has done well enough that they moved out of the strip mall into their own new building within the last few years. I wish I didn't have to pass a Lowe's to get to them but I regularly do it for fasteners.

Now if I don't have any other need to go "in to town", i go the other way to the mom and pop in the small farm town. It's about the same distance but no traffic. Downside is their selection isn't as complete and their only weekend hours are 8-1 on Saturday.

Same. The nearby 90k city has 2 Aces, 2 Lowes and a HD and the north Ace location has done well enough that they moved out of the strip mall into their own new building within the last few years. I wish I didn't have to pass a Lowe's to get to them but I regularly do it for fasteners.

Now if I don't have any other need to go "in to town", i go the other way to the mom and pop in the small farm town. It's about the same distance but no traffic. Downside is their selection isn't as complete and their only weekend hours are 8-1 on Saturday.

Our Ace when we lived in Dana Point was not far from us. Spent 1000's of dollars in there for fasteners and other bits. They were fairly close to the harbor so they carried a lot of marine supplies, glass and window screen section, pretty much everything you could need except for lumber. What they weren't was cost effective or even competitive since the only competition were the big lumberyards for contractors that almost no homeowners used which were only open M-F anyway. Even then, there wasn't a lot of cross-over since the lumber yards didn't carry much in the way of hardware other than for builders.

The uproar and handwringing that went on including "sign this petition" to keep various closer cities from allowing them to build a Home Depot, Lowes, or similar when it looked like it could happen or would happen was fairly amusing. Ya'll had a 40 year run of having a lock on supply and charging "fuck you" prices for everything and now you're sniveling? And not just "fuck you" prices, ya'll got the "fuck you" prices for being in a coastal city, then "fuck you" prices for selling to the boaters 1/2 mile away in the harbor because there is no West Marine close enough yet, and then "fuck you" prices for being the only hardware store within 20 miles. Yeah, cry me a river.

They had what you needed most likely but you paid for that convenience.

• Face Palm
Reactions: Weasellee
Our Ace when we lived in Dana Point was not far from us. Spent 1000's of dollars in there for fasteners and other bits. They were fairly close to the harbor so they carried a lot of marine supplies, glass and window screen section, pretty much everything you could need except for lumber. What they weren't was cost effective or even competitive since the only competition were the big lumberyards for contractors that almost no homeowners used which were only open M-F anyway. Even then, there wasn't a lot of cross-over since the lumber yards didn't carry much in the way of hardware other than for builders.

The uproar and handwringing that went on including "sign this petition" to keep various closer cities from allowing them to build a Home Depot, Lowes, or similar when it looked like it could happen or would happen was fairly amusing. Ya'll had a 40 year run of having a lock on supply and charging "fuck you" prices for everything and now you're sniveling? And not just "fuck you" prices, ya'll got the "fuck you" prices for being in a coastal city, then "fuck you" prices for selling to the boaters 1/2 mile away in the harbor because there is no West Marine close enough yet, and then "fuck you" prices for being the only hardware store within 20 miles. Yeah, cry me a river.

They had what you needed most likely but you paid for that convenience.

No enterprise should be free from competition.

I will throw in and say Dave's Offroad Supply is among my favorites. Excellent prices, I can always get someone on the phone if I have a question, and they've even called me when I've placed large or unusual orders.