Let's talk auxillary lights

Educatemepls

TJ Enthusiast
Ok, i know I know, lights can be one of those mods we all hate but those of us who are building more adventue/camping/overlanding rigs.

What's the setup you've got, what do you recommend, what's the minimum?

Spot vs flood?

Sorry for asking, and don't get me wrong, but what headlights are you running? I went with the forum recommendation with authentic Cibie H4s and a wiring harness to get full power to my headlights. I spent a good deal of time aiming my headlights properly. After that, have no need even for my fog lights anymore as before even in the long, dreary, dark and rainy Portland winters.

Reactions: alittleoff
Following, just to hear some input, but personally, I prefer flood type lenses, but only because I prefer some additional light off to the sides of the Jeep, and to fill in the area directly in front of the Jeep when the high beams are on. I've tried bright pencil beams in the past, and they have their place, but I just didn't find them as useful. I can see where they could be nice on long open stretches of highway, but for me, and where I live, they would spend more time off than on. I use my auxillary lights around town often, like on rainy days, and at dusk because they allow me to be seen, but my headlights aren't shining in everyone's back windows at stop lights and in traffic. Also, on the trail, I have pointed them down and further to the sides to cover the trail a bit better. When you start climbing, the headlights go skyward and don't do anything for what is directly in front of you. I had a pair of basic Hella 550s on the front of the Jeep until they were crunched off in an accident, and they were sufficient for the money. I would like to replace them with something smaller this time around.

I do have several lights, I do not have a full light bar nor lights just mounted for no reason. All of mine are set up for a purpose. Not just some cheap Amazon Lights to say hey look at me with all of lights & my High Lift Jack mounted on my hood 😄

Do I use them all the time no, but I can say when I have needed them it was great having them. I do a few organized events from time to time. 2 years ago I did the CAL 4 Wheel event "Panamint Valley Days" In Mohave Desert and we were on back ass dirt roads well after dark. Last year I was doing the "Nevada Trophy event" and we were traveling high desert roads out side of Reno at driving at around 9:00 pm while getting a light snow.

So yes it was great having all of these lights

My current set up is the following.

KC Led Headlights
Rigid Ind, Long Range LED Cubes at the windshield
Rigid Ind. DSS LED Cubes ( side shooters) Flood
Rigid Ind. 10" LED Light Bar Driving
Rigid Ind. LED Back up light kit (more for setting up camp)

IMG_2176.jpg

IMG_4737.JPG

Death Valley1.jpg

IMG_3338.jpg

IMG_3346.jpg

Iphone6 122.JPG

Iphone6 124.JPG

Sorry for asking, and don't get me wrong, but what headlights are you running? I went with the forum recommendation with authentic Cibie H4s and a wiring harness to get full power to my headlights. I spent a good deal of time aiming my headlights properly. After that, have no need even for my fog lights anymore as before even in the long, dreary, dark and rainy Portland winters.

This. Before LEDs were available affordable I ran high quality bright halogen headlights and 2x Hella 9" halogen aux lights. This made driving on the road comfortable.

Now, I have LED headlights on both Jeeps and they are enough on their own to be comfortable on road without any additional lighting. For around camp and most offroading they are enough and the khaki TJ will be staying this way. Because I plan to do more extreme trails with my red LJ and I enjoy night runs I do have additional lighting in the works (keep an eye on my build thread this week).

I have compared cheap/knockoff/amazon led lights such as Auxbeam and the light pattern isn't as good as a name brand such as Rigid. I have Auxbeam bars on my plow ATV since 90% of my plowing is in the dark and they're acceptable for that use although they do have a hot spot in the flood. Rigid's don't have that hot spot which is important to me offroading where I want my eyes adjusted to the light across the entire trail.

I got some h4 halogens from @toximus and love them. I have the same intentions in mind. I also have kc's on the bumper. I can't even tell they are on most of the time if mine are on bright. Headlights are priority. back up lights would be next for me.

What are some light configurations yall would recommend for a camping/adventures build, I do expect to be out at night a lot, but I don't want 20 lights hanging from by jeep.

Floods only. Spots, Pencil Beams are for high speed rally driving.

I run stock Halogens plus 2 A-Pillar Cubes with SideLighting plus a short single row LED Bar on the roof. The A-Pillar Cubes are aimed out to light the ditch or beach. I mostly put them on for route finding on the beach. The Roof LED Bar is mounted under the front roof rack bar for protection and far enough back so there is no glare on the hood. All 3 are wired thru the "Fog" function on the turn signal stalk.

All told they were under $100 on Amazon.

Most LED Bars use a combo of floods & spots. On mine the outer 3 are floods, the middle 6 spots

IMG_2934.jpeg

DSC_0051.jpeg

I have a couple of tiny cubes to hang off the rear rack cross bar for backup lights and will switch them off the rear window defroster switch.... or rear wiper switch.

Man does my Jeep need a paint job.

Last edited:
Reactions: BugoutJeep
On my 06 LJ, I use Hella H4 High Voltage 100/55. On the low side they are very good for everyday driving and when I'm out in the woods they are super bright on high. On the open road they are good for about 150 yrds. I haven't had to use my fog lights since installing them.

I have 2 KC Gravity Headlights, 2 KC G4 Gravity Fogs, and 4 KC Flex Singles (2 spot & 2 spread).

I absolutely love having extra lighting, I also do not believe that all I have is overkill by any means. Most of what I do is pretty deep in the backcountry and way further out than most so I feel better being able to see more in variable conditions. What ever you choose make sure it looks clean and is functional, you want what your adding to serve a purpose and not just be for show.

It looks like round may be making a come back:

https://www.rigidindustries.com/360-series-360-series.html
360-series_6_spot_angle_2.jpg

RIGID_360-Series_Jeep_JK_13.2_Web_19.jpg

Were I live I still prefer the functionality of having the low clearance of a light bar since downed trees often cause a limbo situation on the trails and every inch matters or else you have to get out and cut it down.

@Sundowner Does this still count as a light bar?

What are some light configurations yall would recommend for a camping/adventures build, I do expect to be out at night a lot, but I don't want 20 lights hanging from by jeep.
I use two small 12w floods for setting up camp or just slow driving. They fill in great at slow speeds on the trail but I don't do anything even remotely tough at night. They draw just a bit over 1A so you can leave them on and not worry about your battery. For regular speeds, 25mph and up, I think spots are the way to go. I have a pair of 4" round lights. I think they are around 30W. They are wired with my high beams and work great. I replace them every few years just to see what's new, at $25 a pair there's no point in not swapping them out just to try the latest. If I got LED headlights I'd probably dump the spots and just keep the small floods. Fortunately where I drive my low beams aren't an issue so I still run the sealed beams.