Let's talk cell service connected tablets

Here's what I've chosen so far:

Tablet:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XC3CW4G/?tag=wranglerorg-20

As far as the tablet goes. How hard is it to set up a hotspot on your cell phone? And use it with your tablet to do things like watch netflix? I could save alot of money that way. As my ATT contract is unlimited data. So I wouldn't have to spend the extra $29 a month on cell service to the tablet. And I could buy a cheaper tablet without 4g. Like the one just posted above by Mr. Bills.
Setting your phone up as a "hotspot" all depends on your phone. I have heard some people say that you have to have your service provider enable it before you can use it. I have an Android phone through Verizon and was told just that, I never talked to Verizon about it at all before I started using it as a hotspot and I have never had an issue. As for turning the hotspot on, I have the Droid Turbo 2 and all I do is drag down from the top to access all the features like flashlight, WiFi, Bluetooth, air plane mode, etc: and on that same screen is the icon for the Hotspot. The first time I used it, it walked me through setting up a password. So depending on your phone and possibly carrier I would recommend just do a google search to look up "How to set up Hotspot on (X) mobile phone"

School me on this stuff. How does a tablet work to use GPS to tell me where I am if it has no wifi or cell service ? Are tablets using some type of satellite service ?

School me on this stuff. How does a tablet work to use GPS to tell me where I am if it has no wifi or cell service ? Are tablets using some type of satellite service ?
Most mobile devices have a basic GPS that is not connected with cellular or WiFi. It can track your location, the cellular and WiFi data is used to fill in the maps details as far as images and terrain. You can also save maps for "off-line" use. You can also download gps apps that store the map data if your device has enough free storage.

GPS is a bunch of satellites circling the earth. That send out their position. Your tablet (and phone) has a GPS receiver that calculates those positions into your own position on earth. So it's kind of passive. In that your tablet does not have to send any signals out. Just calculate position signals coming in and triangulate your own position on earth. Make sense?

SO no special service is needed. The government originally set GPS up to provide location data for the military. Everything from troop movements to gps guided missiles. Then several decades ago they dumbed it down and gave everyone access. It's since become more accurate. And usable for mapping purposes on our phones and tablets. Without it we wouldn't have things like Google Maps. Or any of our mapping and navigational tools we use today.

reddvltj - I've set up a hotspot one time with my current cell phone. For the head unit in my Yukon. It worked. But I did not play with it or use it much. Once it's set up. What is the time involved to getting say your tablet on the internet once your phones fired up and giving it internet access? I mean could I set it up easily in the morning. Move to and from my car with my cell phone. And come back several times during the day. And still have internet access on my tablet?

GPS is a bunch of satellites circling the earth. That send out their position. Your tablet (and phone) has a GPS receiver that calculates those positions into your own position on earth. So it's kind of passive. In that your tablet does not have to send any signals out. Just calculate position signals coming in and triangulate your own position on earth. Make sense?

SO no special service is needed. The government originally set GPS up to provide location data for the military. Everything from troop movements to gps guided missiles. Then several decades ago they dumbed it down and gave everyone access. It's since become more accurate. And usable for mapping purposes on our phones and tablets. Without it we wouldn't have things like Google Maps. Or any of our mapping and navigational tools we use today.

reddvltj - I've set up a hotspot one time with my current cell phone. For the head unit in my Yukon. It worked. But I did not play with it or use it much. Once it's set up. What is the time involved to getting say your tablet on the internet once your phones fired up and giving it internet access? I mean could I set it up easily in the morning. Move to and from my car with my cell phone. And come back several times during the day. And still have internet access on my tablet?
Once you have your hotspot password (assuming you're using one) saved on all your devices, all it takes is turning on the hotspot function on your phone. (I don't recommend leaving it turned on when you're not actively using it because of the added power consumption.) If your devices WiFi is set to automatically connect to your hotspot they'll connect as soon as your hotspot is turned on and/or in range.

Make sense?

Once you have your hotspot password (assuming you're using one) saved on all your devices, all it takes is turning on the hotspot function on your phone. (I don't recommend leaving it turned on when you're not actively using it because of the added power consumption.) If your devices WiFi is set to automatically connect to your hotspot they'll connect as soon as your hotspot is turned on and/or in range.

Make sense?

Yes. Thank you. If it's that easy. Why buy one with cell service? I think I might just get one that's got wifi only.

Reactions: reddvltj
Yes. Thank you. If it's that easy. Why buy one with cell service? I think I might just get one that's got wifi only.
One thing you do need to check into with your current plan is if your carrier has any kind of data cap for hotspot use. It's usually in their "fine print", just like when they say unlimited data they actually mean "you get this much at full speed, after that you get it at a reduced speed"

Looks like good stuff. I haven't had good luck with suction cups in hot (90's )and especially in cold (around 0)weather.

If you get one with the extra round rubber plate to mount them on they work much better. There called a dashboard pad. And can be bought separately. The iottie cellphone holders come with them. At least version 2 and above IIRC. They are the most versatile cellphone holder I have used. Although I'm trying out the magmount this week. We'll see. When working I need something that is not permanent. So the magmount is only going in my Jeep. If it can hold my cellphone with the cover on.

s-l1600.jpg

Reactions: matkal
Reactions: matkal and reddvltj
So I thought I would give an update. I purchased the Samsung 8 inch tablet with cell phone capability. And the Arkon Tablet mount.

What a killer combination. I even bought one for my cellphone. And it's the best cell phone colder I've ever had. I still use the magnet one in my Jeep though too.

The Arkon mounts have top notch suction and attachment devices. And they have rammount style arms (which you can buy additionals of to make it extend as long as you like). I've been running it in a rental car about 3 days a week for 15 hr days. And once put in position. It DOES NOT MOVE. I know it will ride good in the Jeep. I just haven't had a chance to give it a try. On my next roadtrip I'm going to run gps software and mount the tablet in the Jeep.

The tablet itself has been used with my cell phone as a hotspot. Which in laymans terms means I use the cellphone to give the tablet internet access. You hit two buttons on the phone and your done. (I have not set up the tablet with it's own sim card and account. But it's there if I need it in the future.) So far I have not gone over the 10gb hotspot limit set by ATT. And I watch alot of youtubetv and disney+ on it. I'd say at least a few hours a day - three days a week. Plenty for backcountry navigation.

The screen is bright and very clear. Youtubetv broadcasts at 720 and 1080. Both look crystal clear. I was amazed. And it saves my eyes to be able to watch things on my big tablet rather than my phone.

I highly recommend this combo.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010WXTN7U/?tag=wranglerorg-20

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VMHQMVL/?tag=wranglerorg-20

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PZZYR68/?tag=wranglerorg-20

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XC3CW4G/?tag=wranglerorg-20

A little off topic but related for cell phone service, and hot spot mobile data, home data in remote areas, and the replacement for Satalite TV may be very close.

Keep an eye on the T-Mobile/Sprint merger which might be approved the last of this month (Jan 2020). If approved it will be a total game changer with rapid deployment of 5G mobile communication data in a very short time, particular in central US where there is existing Sprint and T/Mobile service now.

I just purchased this, to be delivered on Halloween:

Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8.0" 32 GB WiFi Android 9.0 Pie Tablet Black (2019) - SM-T290NZKAXAR - $139
🤣
View attachment 122419

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VDB92RK/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Wi Fi only, no phone service, but there are similar Tab A 8" units with phone compatibility for Verizon, Sprint, AT&T and unlocked.
I just bought this unit too. It's the first Samsung product owned other than one of their "exploding" washing machines. Seriously … I received a warning and they sent out a technician to take the top off and install some brackets to keep things together. The guy didn't even bring all of the tools he needed. :rolleyes: He had to borrow some of mine!

Anyway, apart from my Garmin GPS, I'm a paper map guy. I've subscribed to Gaia and am trying to figure things out. About the only thing I know is that I'm going to mount it to an overhead consul I'm building. That's the easy part so I'm into this thread for information.

heres my set up, bent some plex glass and expoyed into place. its a lg vk815 (verizon freebee) it does cover the hvac controls but that doesnt bother me.

IMG_20190923_165643.jpg

How do you adjust your ac/heat?
I mounted it on an angle so I just reach up and switch it. Not ideal and could be mounted higher of course. The Plexi was originally made for a s10 and it fit well where the radio was in the tj. And used a cheap case to epoxy to the Plexi, the hardest part is to heat the Plexi up just enough to bend and not create bubbles so a few test pieces and some spray paint it comes out looking pretty good